Living down south

I know some of you live down south…

So it looks like I gotta move in the summer. It seems they are going to demolish the entire block my shop is located to build more overpriced houses that nobody will live in.

So I don’t know, but I’m sick of it here because I feel like I gotta work really hard just to afford rent, and people say that rent in the south is much less, like the shop I live in now can be rented for less than 5000 a month, while wages for stuff is more or less the same, but since everything is cheaper down south, you end up living better.

I don’t care about “night life”, because I never had any in Taipei anyways. Can’t afford to. But how is it down south? Every Taiwanese I talk to said people down south are much friendlier.

There’s already been a number of threads about the south.

Here’s one focusing mainly on Kaohsiung:

Here’s one focusing on all Taiwanese cities, including all the large and midsize cities in the south:

1 Like

Your posts always remind me of Oliver Twist.

2 Likes

who is oliver twist?

Oliver Twist is a fictional character from a Charles Dickens novel. Oliver Twist suffered a lot. And he was really poor.

You share your hard times with us on this forum. So Gain is either making a friendly joke, or sympathising, or taking pity on you, or making a joke at your expense. Maybe all of the above!

3 Likes

3 Likes

I know KHH is my first choice in Taiwan.

If cost is your only concern, then moving to a small town/city is your best bet.

@mokkie, it looks like Qingshui, Taichung is the most popular destination for immigrants from Hong Kong: https://www.cw.com.tw/article/5104614

A long time Taiwanese friend suggested Taichung but I prefer KHH.

Thanks anyway.

I never lived in KHH, asides from being marginally hotter than Taipei it seems it’s just like any other Taiwanese city.

None of the above.

1 Like

it’s practically sunny year round down there

Aren’t Kaohsiung summers usually a touch milder (OK, “marginally less nightmarish”) than Taipei’s? My impression is, yeah, it’s definitely more subtropical in Kaohsiung: it almost never gets cold, and there are probably more warm days across the year than in Taipei, but these days I think Taipei gets higher temperatures in the summer. All relative, of course: “a touch milder” may mean it’s 35C in Kaohsiung vs 37C in Taipei.

But my Google skills are failing to find support for this at a meaningful level; here’s just one data point, from August 2017:

Oh yeah, here’s another of the many threads on the “what it’s like down south” topic:

When are you moving?

I don’t know, sometime before july I guess…

The difference is Taipei gets a touch more humid.

1 Like

I used to live down South and I am glad to be back here :grin: Winters are warm, even in summer it doesn’t rain that much, the cost of living is decent and Kaohsiung’s urban landscape is improving by the day (yes, I’m in love with the underground railway just to mention one pleasant surprise that I had after years abroad :heart_eyes:). It is true that salaries are lower (assuming that you are working for a local company), but when talking to friends that moved to Taipei I realise that people can generally still save more down here.

The biggest downturns for me are heavier pollution and (although not so important) the fact that food is generally sweeter and less tasty than up North. Forget about spicy :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like