Living Expenses: The Minimum

消す

Spaint, although I am not in the mood for nitpicking, I guess I should have included ‘balanced’ with meal.

Harsh and unfair. Most people don’t live the way they “WANT” to, but the way they can with the means they have.[/quote]

If I can’t live the way I want to in Taiwan, I sure the hell am not going to stay here…I would go back to the U.S.
I didn’t come here to be miserable nor to be a workaholic. One job, one salary, if it isn’t enough to live off of then I can go back to the U.S.

[quote=“spaint”]
Because people who come to Taiwan with a goal (eg. learning Mandarin) shouldn’t be afraid of a little hardship?

Nor was I suggesting living like a pauper[/quote]
Why should they not? What a strange concept!
And yeah, you are indeed suggesting living like a pauper – you said so yourself! Your ex cleaned you out and you were down to NT$50/NT$100 at times. That, to me, is pauperland, however you cut it.

Precisely. Living like a pauper. :laughing: And what’s with this MRT nonsense? What’s wrong with walking? Bloody kids these days! Why, when I were a lad…

[quote=“spaint”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“spaint”]
Because people who come to Taiwan with a goal (eg. learning Mandarin) shouldn’t be afraid of a little hardship?

Nor was I suggesting living like a pauper[/quote]
Why should they not? What a strange concept!
And yeah, you are indeed suggesting living like a pauper – you said so yourself! Your ex cleaned you out and you were down to NT$50/NT$100 at times. That, to me, is pauperland, however you cut it.[/quote]

I obviously wasn’t fucking suggesting anyone get cleaned out by their ex and reduced to their last 100NT before payday.

I was trying to show that you CAN live on less than NT$14,000 a month in this town, excluding rent and utilities. 14,000NT for one person is a decent amount of money and you can in fact live comfortably on Taipei, considering that your only regular expenses (assuming you don’t have any pets, extortionate hobbies, or plan on dropping a week’s budget every evening on dinner and/or booze) should be food and the MRT.[/quote]

I think the point is actually well taken. The real number for a single man might be closer to NT$50k a month when you factor in rent, transport, medical expenses, and a bit of entertainment and clothing. I have a few friends who live on that amount and save the rest toward retirement, travel, or further education. In Taipei. It’s possible but probably not much fun.

[quote=“Tomas”]
I think the point is actually well taken. The real number for a single man might be closer to NT$50k a month when you factor in rent, transport, medical expenses, and a bit of entertainment and clothing. I have a few friends who live on that amount and save the rest toward retirement, travel, or further education. In Taipei. It’s possible but probably not much fun.[/quote]

Yes, that’s a good number. I was grossing NT$54,000 from my job in Taiwan which explains why I never had anything left. :sunglasses:

[quote=“Vannyel”][quote=“Tomas”]
I think the point is actually well taken. The real number for a single man might be closer to NT$50k a month when you factor in rent, transport, medical expenses, and a bit of entertainment and clothing. I have a few friends who live on that amount and save the rest toward retirement, travel, or further education. In Taipei. It’s possible but probably not much fun.[/quote]

Yes, that’s a good number. I was grossing NT$54,000 from my job in Taiwan which explains why I never had anything left. :sunglasses:[/quote]
Yup. NT$50k or thereabouts was pretty much what I would spend when I was single. And I was by no means profligate, either!

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Vannyel”][quote=“Tomas”]

Yes, that’s a good number. I was grossing NT$54,000 from my job in Taiwan which explains why I never had anything left. :sunglasses:[/quote]
Yup. NT$50k or thereabouts was pretty much what I would spend when I was single. And I was by no means profligate, either![/quote]

I also agree with this number and would use it as reference to anyone planning on coming here for work.

But for anyone planning on coming here to study… I think the story is different.

[quote=“spaint”][quote=“Lili”]
HAH. There is a thread where I think divea or Icon replied that excluding rent/utilities/insurance, one cannot live on $14,000NT a month. What? WHAT?! That’s almost $500USD! I can live on half of that at home if I’m very very careful. And I’m talking New York Fucking City.
[/quote]

You CAN live on 14K a month, if you’re excluding all that other stuff. Christ, that’s 465NT a day. What the hell do you think you’re gonna be eating if you can’t make that go for three meals?
Breakfast: NT$50. Hell, let’s be extravagant and eat at McDonald’s for ~NT$80 with a coffee.
Lunch: Biandang (meat, veg, rice in a box): NT$70 (that’s not even a cheap one)
Dinner: Subway, NT$59 for the special
Buy a big bottle of water from 7-11: NT$35
Total: NT$244 => NT$7320 a month if you choose the expensive breakfast. Last I checked, that would get you breakfast for one if you chose the wrong greasy diner in NYC.

Like I said to you before, Taiwan can be very cheap if you’re not boozing it up. Of course, if you NEED alcohol and coffee you’re gonna be pissing all your money away. Bottle of Taiwan beer: NT$55. Latte at Starbucks: NT$140 (for a venti, the only size worth buying anyway). One each of those everyday and you’ll double your monthly expenses.

EDIT: add 30NT for bus fare each way to wherever it is you need to go everyday, unless you live within walking distance of your school. Also, above figures assume you have a washing machine at home… Also, I can’t be bothered calculating laundry detergent, soap, shampoo and toilet paper on a per diem basis.

And the other expenses, that you specifically excluded, are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than NYC. Rent, if you’re sharing or living in a studio, can be low. Utilities… I don’t really remember how they compare but I pay around NT$750 a month for gas and NT$500 to NT$700 a month for electricity. That’s the total for two people in the same apartment, with AC running quite a lot. Water (if you even have to pay it) is a trivial sum in the region of 100 to 200 NT every month or three.

[quote=“Lili”]
I have an apt lined up in Da’an :slight_smile:[/quote]

How much rent are you paying and for what, if you don’t mind me asking? Last time I checked, Da’an isn’t exactly the cheapest district in Taipei.[/quote]

Let’s revise those numbers:

Breakfast: I’d budget 80nts, at least 55nts for a hamburguer, 35 for mantou with egg. Soy milk is 20/25. I used to buy apple juice bulk at the supermarket, then a sandwich -at least 35, you do not want those 25 ones if you can still find, them, trust me.

Lunch: There are long lines at the 80nts places, and that is the cheapest. 70nts maybe at the school cafeteria. Average meal in Shida is 100/120 up.

Tea time: if you want to study in a air conditioned place, with a drink in your hand -as we used to do, since the library is always full- then 120nts for starters, please.

Evening meal: back in the old days there were 25 nts noodles and the meat filled buns were also 25 nts. They are 50 now. Any snack would be more than that. Proper meal 120 up as stated.

The laundry place at Shida -basement of dorms- is cheap and reliable. That would save time/money. As long as she avoids buying stuff at Watsons/Wellcome -there are cheaper supermarkets in the area- and buy bulk, she can save a pretty penny. Same with water: gallon at 7-11 is 70nts, you can get the same for 40 at teh supermarket. Get a cheap bike on loan, and buy once a week.

And living close to Shida means avoiding daily commute.

Nevertheless, utilities are going to be an issue. AC in rentals tend to be the older kind, so a lot of dough is going there and turning it off affects quality of life. We paid 10K for 3 people, lowest 4K. Add garbage bags.

Breakfast NT80? Make your own. A Costco bagel $11, add organic peanut butter and organic mulberry jam $10 and a couple pieces of fruit $20-30. Way healthier too.

Same with lunch. Even a big stack of organic pre-made pancake mix, organic jam for spread, and a piece of fruit will cost less than $120. A three egg organic omelette (eggs $30) plus bread $20, feta cheese $40), and fruit ($30).

Cook people. Cook. :laughing:

Eh, MM, remember that student lodgings in Shida mean 1. common use kitchen and small 30 year old fridge 2. storage is limited and also stuff is in danger of “dissappearing”. 3. buying Costco on student budget is a difficult proposition.

When I earned like 30K, everytime I went to Costco I would have to refrain myself: no spending more than 1K, just essentials. Go in group, share-divide-conquer. Easy it is not.

For astudent living in Shida area, buying breakfast is faster/simpler/more convenient. New arrivals find it harder to go around/find stuff. Cooking takes time from studies/socializing/finding work so you can leave that hole you’re in.

Or you could buy a box of eggs for 5 to 10 NT per egg, and cook an egg and throw it between a couple of slices of cheap toast, which I did when I was a student.

Is a hamburger really 55NT?

I work in Neihu. The cheapest food here is 50NT for a super cheap lunchbox, 59NT for a Subway sandwich (that’s a healthy choice), 60NT for a greasy biandang, 70NT for decent dumplings, 120NT for a pretty good beef noodle soup.

If you’re a poor student, why wouldn’t you study at McDonalds? You’d be looking at 40NT for a coffee.

I honestly can’t remember, but I had 肉包 at Ningxia night market the other week and I’m positive they weren’t 50NT each. Maybe 35NT? They were really tasty as well. I had two because I’m greedy.

I bought two gallons of water from Wellcome last week for 39NT a bottle - on special, of course.

Laundry I don’t know about, I have a washing machine. Years ago I used to take my stuff in a big bag and spend a couple of hundred NT a week to wash everything.

[quote=“Icon”]
And living close to Shi-Da means avoiding daily commute.

Nevertheless, utilities are going to be an issue. AC in rentals tend to be the older kind, so a lot of dough is going there and turning it off affects quality of life. We paid 10K for 3 people, lowest 4K. Add garbage bags.[/quote]

25NT a bag? Or squish your garbage into little plastic bags and toss it in the roadside garbage cans like everyone else does.

Don’t know about the utilities in other places. My utility bills are really cheap but my place has good air conditioners. Ironically I pay more in the winter when I have a space heater on in my bedroom.

The thing is, if you give yourself a budget like 14000 NT a month, break it down into a daily allowance, it’s plenty possible to live all right. Some days you’ll spend very little, and be frugal by eating your egg on toast, subway sandwich and whatever. By the end of the week, you’ll have enough left over to have a decent weekend. It just takes discipline and not letting yourself spend your money on random crap. Also, if you actually look at the amount of calories you consume in a day, you’ll realize that you don’t need half the crap you buy anyway.

Shida is a “touiristy” area. It has become more a “clothes” market than a food market, and most stalls are gone. What is left is these fru-fru cafes and “international cuisine” restaurants. It is not like Neihu or Xindian -where a self serve meals sets you back 40nts- it is “abnormal” in the sense that the cheap student eateries are practoically gone. Rents are way too high for cheap places to survive.

Yes, cooking makes sense as a student, as long as living conditions allow it. And talking about conditions, studying/doing homework in McDonals is one of the saddest things… too noisy/dirty/yucckyy.

[quote=“Icon”]Eh, MM, remember that student lodgings in Shi-Da mean 1. common use kitchen and small 30 year old fridge 2. storage is limited and also stuff is in danger of “dissappearing”. 3. buying Costco on student budget is a difficult proposition.

When I earned like 30K, everytime I went to Costco I would have to refrain myself: no spending more than 1K, just essentials. Go in group, share-divide-conquer. Easy it is not.

For astudent living in Shi-Da area, buying breakfast is faster/simpler/more convenient. New arrivals find it harder to go around/find stuff. Cooking takes time from studies/socializing/finding work so you can leave that hole you’re in.[/quote]

True. I thought this was just about generally budgeting. And yeah, cooking does take up a lot of my day. Good grief it’s 11.20, gotta go soak some potatoes and chop some onions.

[quote=“Icon”]Shi-Da is a “touiristy” area. It has become more a “clothes” market than a food market, and most stalls are gone. What is left is these fru-fru cafes and “international cuisine” restaurants. It is not like Neihu or Xindian -where a self serve meals sets you back 40nts- it is “abnormal” in the sense that the cheap student eateries are practoically gone. Rents are way too high for cheap places to survive.
[/quote]
Oh no! I was really banking on the ability to catch a quick, cheap bite next to my apt.

Damnit! I should’ve thought to ask first.

You might be miles away from where you think you are. What’s the address of your new place? Da’an is fairly large.

Don’t worry, there are still a few cheap places, though the lines are long. And one more thing: lunchtime is 12 to 2, most restaurants close at 2. So if you want to have a late lunch, you’ll have to pay more at the “cafes”.

If you take the 8am class, then you are out at a decent hour to catch early lunch and not pay more.

EDIT:
You can walk a bit and head to NTU. Around Taida there are far more cheap -and cheaper- eateries than Shida. Fve minutes from your place by back alleys. Remember: in taiwan, the shortest distance is not a straight line -if you can find it, anyway- but rather an alley.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]

True. I thought this was just about generally budgeting. And yeah, cooking does take up a lot of my day. Good grief it’s 11.20, gotta go soak some potatoes and chop some onions.[/quote]
You for got to say “organic” potatoes and “organic” onions.

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Muzha Man”]

True. I thought this was just about generally budgeting. And yeah, cooking does take up a lot of my day. Good grief it’s 11.20, gotta go soak some potatoes and chop some onions.[/quote]
You for got to say “organic” potatoes and “organic” onions.[/quote]
Are things in Taiwan generally organic?
I’m generally broke so I don’t eat organic unless there’s a cost benefit, which doesn’t come around often. (Regular milk in US: $3, Organic: $5.50. Quite a significant difference)
It’d be nice to start though if the prices don’t differ as much in Taiwan.