Living in a Bungalow, Yea or Nay?

Anybody have experience or opinions about living in a bungalow, i.e. a single level “tin can”?

I am attracted to these but am afraid they will be too damn hot. I know some have a sort of double roof to deflect and/or absorb the heat, and some have high roofs maybe for heat to escape to?, but most do not have these possible attributes. Also many are less than nice- very little natural light (probably helps keep the temp. down), raw concrete floors and ramshackle kitchens. But on the other hand some do have some love given to them and can be somewhat charming.

Anyways just wondering about other’s experiences and opinions.

Which part of Taiwan? For me, the humidity levels in the north would lead me to conclude that ground floor living is a bad idea. Perhaps other parts of the island would not face this trouble, but maybe would involve other adventures including life forms of various kinds–including snakes–making themselves at home in your home!

Guy

1 Like

Can you do an Air Bnb first to check one out?

1 Like

East Coast, Hualien, with sights set on Taidong eventually.

The airbnb idea I didn’t think of, thanks.

1 Like

I lived in a “roof bungalow” before and had no issues with heat whatsoever.

Mine did have the “double roof” (inside was flat, but pointed outside) so maybe that helped.

1 Like

What are this “Bungalow” of which yous’es’ens speak? Eees it these?

Screenshot_20180715-230824_Chrome

“Bungalow”. In Taiwan? Where? What? Pictures please.

This?
https://goo.gl/images/r3c2hM

I live in a wonderful bungalow on top of a building and love it. Lots of natural light, big front yard with plenty of space for BBQ, lounge chairs, still and gardening. Was a bit run down when I rented it, but with a bit of paint and some DIY adjustments, the place is perfect. And you still get all the convenience of living in the centre of the city!

1 Like

More like the “flat house”, corrugated shed style.

bungalow

Sometimes I see them with sprinklers cooling the roof, which leads to believe they get very hot, but that is usually a restaurant or business place.

3front
your description reminds me of this.
it comes with a rocket stove too.

2 Likes