Living in ChungLi

Hi!
My name is Chris, I’m french, and I have several questions about Taiwan. I am working in Taiwan the next year (for one or two years) as scientist and I think the place where I will work is ChungLi, near Taipei. I’am coming and living with my wife here and my salary will be approximatively $NT55000 per month.
Do you think my salary is enough to live in Taiwan? What are the “house standart” in Chungli?
My wife is fluent in english, journalist and would like to teach english or work as journalist preferably. What are the opportunities for her?
Thank you
:slight_smile:

Naunau

Welcome naunau.

Chungli is outside of Taipei, there are posters here living out that way that I’m sure can better help you on that score.

I suspect that your wife cannot work here legally as I presume she is also French. Teachers are supposed to be from a native English speaking country. In the past this has not really been a problem as her right to live in Taiwan is covered by your work permit. However, there appears to have been somewhat of a crackdown on illegal teachers so there is the risk she could be deported.

Additionally, that salary seems low for a science gig, albeit tight but doable for a couple, especially living outside Taipei.

Oh, there is also a French forum somewhere. I don’t know it, only of it. Perhaps one of our resident Frenchman can help? It is possible there are other jobs for her. One idea might be to contact French companies in Taiwan. BNP Paribas comes to mind.

HG

[quote=“naunau”]Hi!
My name is Chris, I’m french, and I have several questions about Taiwan. I am working in Taiwan the next year (for one or two years) as scientist and I think the place where I will work is Chungli (Zhongli), near Taipei. I’am coming and living with my wife here and my salary will be approximatively $NT55000 per month.
Do you think my salary is enough to live in Taiwan? What are the “house standart” in Chungli (Zhongli)?
My wife is fluent in English, journalist and would like to teach English or work as journalist preferably. What are the opportunities for her?
Thank you
:slight_smile:

Naunau[/quote]

That salary is okay for a local but not great, for an expat it is at the bottom of the range or a little below the bottom. You could live on it though, you can find maybe 10-15k rent and the food is cheap.

Why is the salary so low? What sort of income would a scientist earn in France (NT dollars or USD please)?

Apartments are okay in Chung Li or you could choose to commute from our community in Yang Mei. 15k would get you a small house in our secure community above the pollution and riff raff.

You would want a car or cycle for the 20-30 minute commute.

There are a lot of French working in this area on the high speed train.

I cannot answer to your first question. My job will be a post-doctoral training at the university and in France, I get €2000 per month actually.
The supervisor of the project in Taiwan said to me that salary is enough in Taiwan … But I have no idea about that.

Hi, welcome to Taiwan.

Your salary should be enough to ‘live’ if you don’t have children to send to school and you’re not looking for any extraordinary activities … imported foods are pretty pricy sometimes, but local food and public transport is cheap, still.

Living in Chungli is not too bad I guess and will be cheaper than in Taipei, 15,000 -20,000 NT$ for a decent apartment will do. Telephone, internet, transportation, electricity, water are not too expensive.

I guess your wife could teach French somewhere or try to apply for a job with an international news agency (AP) …

But be carefull, she can stay in Taiwan due to the family relation to you as you will get an ARC and work permit, but she can not legally work without a work permit and ARC.
This you could figure out while here I guess, as it would be difficult from Europe. Or she might inquire in a job as correspondent for a french news agency. Not knowing Chinese will complicate her work here, but impossible, not sure.

She’s swedish but speaks fluently english (she worked 3 years in England) and french too.

Work permits are only issued to English teachers from certain countries, unfortunately. I don’t know about French teaching.

You know they have fantastic French wine here in Taiwan, and you can even get it from 7-11.

55K per month is really low-balling. ask the supervisor of the project how much he is making - i bet you it’s significantly more. :laughing: i would see about getting this increased before heading out this way, especially if your wife can’t work (due to work permit etc.) the fact that she is fluent in english does nothing for the govt. here - you must have been born in one of a select few countries to be legal in that regard.

apartment should be doable for less than 15K as well, 8K - 10K getting you two to three bedrooms, possibly with underground parking (yes, you will need transportation, unless they are putting you up at the university, which would be something worth asking about).

Since your wife is a journalist, she should get networking with the Taipei Foreign Correspondents Club www.taipeifcc.org
They have a get-together once a month in Taipei. From there, she will learn what jobs are available, if any.

Hi, and welcome to forumosa.

I would say that your salary seems a bit low for a scientific gig. I would check it out thoroughly before comming here.

About teaching English here in Taiwan. Your wife will only be able to obtain an ARC and a work permit if she is born a in country that has English as its 1st language like the UK or the States. She might be allowed to teach French if she is the holder of a French citizenship (by your marriage) and passport. If I were you I’d check out the work forum here on forumosa. There you’ll get the answers you need for sure.

The pay in Chungli (Zhongli) is always lower than other cities like taipei or hsinchu since it is a much cheaper place to live. The rent for a 2~3 bedrooms apartment is about 8k~13k depends on the location, the size or how new it is. I think there are some new apartments near carrefour. Your wife can teach French here i suppose. Seen many ads about learning French recently.

Good luck :wink:

Hi!
Thanks for all! But I found yesterday a postdoc advertisement in Taipei and the salary that is proposed is upper mine. My salary will be about $NT55000 per month (I have to pay flight ticket) but for this job, the laboratory proposes NT$71,000 monthly stipend plus benefits, NT$300,000/yr research allowance, NT$50,000/yr international meeting support upon review, and one flight ticket to Taiwan.
I don’t understand why there are so many differences for the same job …
Naunau

That’s normal in Taiwan. Or anywhere.

That’s twice! :noway:

Phew! You’re dropping from NT$83,000 to NT$55,000 per month? That’s going to be difficult, even taking into account the different tax and living rates. NT$55K seems to be a shockingly low wage, specially if it has to support two of you. Sounds to me like they’re trying to screw you.
You’ll be able to survive on that, but that is all. You won’t be able to afford any luxuries or treats. Why are you coming here in particular?

That’s twice! :noway:[/quote]

I know, however if they can get you talked into doing it for 40% less than the going rate, their gain, your loss.

Even a university will try that.

I’m scientist and I work specially about material science and membranes technology. I had contact with this laboratory two years ago but I couldn’t go to Taiwan at this time.
This postdoc training is only for one or two years and so must go to France after doing that. A postdoc is only after a Ph.D and can be considered as a “specialization”. However I am just shocking when I see so many differences between postdoc salaries …

Try to strike a balance between what will give you the best foundations for a future career in the field and what gives you the most money.

OK! I will try to discuss with the project supervisor about conditions and salary …
:s