Living in Danshui

What are the pros and cons of living in Danshui and working in Taipei, say near the train station? Is there a nightbus? How reliable is the MRT? Are there good bars, pool halls, expat hangout places, places to meet women…? I’ve just arrived and will be staying indefinitely. Seems like you get more for your buck out there and it is prettier and cleaner but worried that I’ll be isolated socially and screwed if the MRT breaks down. All information is appreciated.

Hi, I’ve lived in Danshui for 5 years so I will give you my :2cents:

The MRT is very reliable and almost never breaks down, except for earthquakes and typhoons, and then only in rare cases. There are occasionally minor delays, but in general it is very very reliable. The only problem is that it is boring. Taxis from downtown Taipei to Danshui are from 400-500NT. I don’t know about a night bus but it would be extremely slow.

There are some good Western restaurants that serve alcohol as well, but nothing like a real bar. There is enough of an expat community so you are unlikely to feel isolated, although it is much slower and smaller than Taipei.

The North Coast is easy to get to, which is great most of the year - beaches etc.

The best thing is the air quality: it is almost always fresh and clean here, which I love.

Hope this helps.

Biggest downside is the hour-long commute each way. Unless you go to Danshui MRT station, you WILL NOT GET A SEAT except during very-off-peak hours; they time the trains so they are almost full when they leave Danshui.

About 40 minutes from Danshui MRT to Taipei Main Station, and yes it is hard to get a seat except from 10-11:30am, 2-4:30pm, 8-10pm.

Also as for nightlife, I have not seen any in Danshui, I mean for sure I doubt there will be a Forumosa happy hour in Danshui, all the good places are either in Tienmu, Daan, or Xinyi. Sure you can get there by MRT but since the MRT stops at 12, you either have to leave before 11:30, take a cab (really expensive), or sleep on the street until 6am.

It depends on your age: you could party till 6am if you were young enough to do that kind of stuff. Or arrange to crash at a friend’s house. There are also 24 hour places you know, like McDs - you don’t actually need to sleep on the street! :unamused:

There was a happy hour a month or so ago in Danshui.

Thats where MTV comes in. WAtch movies 24/7. If you need a place to crash between say 4am and 6am when the MRT starts up again. you could rent a movie at an MTV for cheap and semi sleep there.

Thats what i used to do.

Not handy for the airport though. If you want to drive there from Danshui, you have to go all the way into Taipei and out again.

no, you can cross Guandu bridge and go down the coast. Much faster.

That’s only if you are taking a bus, but if going by car or taxi you can cross the guandu bridge.

no, you can cross Guandu bridge and go down the coast. Much faster.[/quote]

nice scenic drive too !!

Oh yeah, I see that on the map now. Is it worth getting on Expressway #61 after Bali, or do you just stay on the 15?

Not sure, I’ve always done it in a taxi so not paid attention.

There is an all you can drink club in danshui tamkang university,…just an fyi

Oh yeah, I see that on the map now. Is it worth getting on Expressway #61 after Bali, or do you just stay on the 15?[/quote]

I lived in Tamshui back in the late 80’s and even then with the 15 being a overblown one lane road with sand dunes constantly blowing over it you could still get to the airport from Tamshui that way in about 45minutes.

Now you can choose to any of three routes depending on traffic and your mode of transportation:

One…cross Kuandu bridge and take signs to Wugu onramp…Freeway one south to airport

Two…Cross Kuandu bridge and take right, through Bali and connect with 61 there.

Three…Cross Kuandu bridge, turn left towards Wugu, but then get on 64 heading west towards Bali. Then at end, connect to 61. It’s quite quick.

Thanks a lot, you guys are great.

Finally decided to stay in Da An for 6 months and take my time to find something nice in Danshui.

What about Bali, across the river?

It looks nice from a distance, but up close it is way too industrial. I think it never caught on as a tourist attraction because it is too sandy to have a fishing harbour and it is harder to see the sunset. Hence, it has not been developed for tourism the way Danshui has been. Danshui also gets tourists due to the MRT and is filled with young people from the two unis.

However, Bali does have Guanyinshan if you want to do some hiking (great views from the top) and a nice section of riverside to bike or walk along. Other than that though it is a bit grim, IMO.

Bali has a great archaeological museum, but it is far away from the riverwalk and appears to be in an industrial area. Never understood that!