Living in Singapore

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]I love Taiwan, but I would move to Singapore in a HEARTBEAT. Only country where I’d go without really thinking about it much.

Just something about it… I don’t know what. It’s so CLEAN. And shiny. And there’s green grass everywhere! I think it suits me because it’s right in the middle of East/West… which is how I feel sometimes. Not quite Eastern enough that I feel out of place, and not quite Western enough that I feel out of place, either.[/quote]
Glad to hear another positive review of the place! (and another negative review of Singaporean women :slight_smile: )
Still waiting to hear from the guy in charge of scheduling visits, but hopefully I’ll get down there soon (and (even more) hopefully I won’t screw up the interview too badly)

[quote=“tango42”]I am quite an active person in many respects and I found a lot more to do in daytime and nighttime indoor and outdoor than I ever found in Taiwan. I roller bladed, hiked, hashed, jogged, sailed, raced remote controlled cars and planes, danced, partied, ate huge varieties of food, sang kareoke, laid on the beach, played beach volleyball, went shrimp fishing, rode roller coasters, knee-boarded behind ski boat, golfed, rode river taxies, sat at outdoor restaurants in nice weather, raved all night, watched world class current current concerts and theater, had great Sunday brunches, enjoyed sunshine nearly every day… All within a few minutes from anywhere. And that is not an exhaustive list.

Then traveled easily to other countries for other fun. Malaysia is 30 minute drive, phuket 1 1/2 hour flight.

In comparison,in Taiwan I’ve traveled and tried from ching jing to Kinmen (Jinmen), Danshui to kending, living in Taipei, surfed and snorkeled, danced, ate, partied, hiked, biked, hot springed, clubbed, etc., and overall Singapore is more fun and better quality of life.

Families and singles rarely want to leave after posting. One of the highest demand places to live in the world. Having enough money is essential.

I am single and find the ladies in Singapore more attractive and better dressed than in Taiwan plus more variety. Granted, Taiwan ladies are a bit easier to get to know.[/quote]

You have got to be kidding me.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“tango42”]

I am single and find the ladies in Singapore more attractive and better dressed than in Taiwan [/quote]

never has there been a more false sentence fragment in the history of this forum. seriously.

“Objection”
“denied”
“I STRENUOUSLY object.”
“Oh, well if you strenuously object then I should take some time to reconsider.”[/quote]

You should take this one up with the mods. Sticky it or something.

How important is freedom of speech to you? In Singapore, if you criticize the People’s Action Party, your university contract will probably not be renewed.

I love Singapore and I would be happy if I could work there but the new immigration laws make it almost impossible. You have to be a manager or something like that with advantages no Singaporean or PR has in order to get a working visa sponsored. Apparently Singapore is “full”. But all this little Islands you can easily go and all the different “authentic” indian, thai, malay food…

According to some folks on here it’s easy to get residency, as I pointed out it is actually easier in Taiwan!

Hi all!

I am a forum admin from Singapore at sincity.forumer.com If you are stuck in Singapore, not knowing where to go, which agencies to seek help, you may try my forum.

Basically Singapore is small, and yes, it’s super boring. Unless you are very rich, life there is real boring because any fun will cost a lot of money. Want a simple flat? It is now selling for S$1m. Yes, the price has reached that high, and it is only a ‘lease’ instead of a freehold. A nicer meal can cost a few hundreds of dollars for two. An average office people restaurant cost about S$20~S$50. Our taxi service is one of the highest in the world… surprisingly to cover the routes in one of the tiniest state in the world. A trip from the west tip to Changi Airport in the east can easily cost you over $40, at night there is double rate.

Also driving in Singapore’s relatively short roads will encounter many toll machines, and buy a vehicle in Singapore is unusually expensive. Note that the ‘life’ of your vehicle is usually a few years depending on the COE requirement.

Wages have remained rather stagnant over the years as inflation shoots up with propaganda saying the government is doing a great job while flooding civil sectors with foreign talents.

Media-wise, the mainstream media is controlled, and with the erosion of the mainstream influence, the incumbent is heard to be resorting to internet propaganda teams. Singaporeans are well-known to speak English which is at passing standard and understand Chinese superficially despite being 70% Chinese.

The plus point is, if you are living in Singapore with a decent income ($4000 and above), the place is boring but personal security is good, gangs are suppressed, environment is clean and not as polluted as China, health care is very costly but reliable. Also Singapore legalizes gambling and prostitution. However, if you are looking for a wife from Singapore, your best bet would still be looking in Taiwan.

Singapore used to have a president with about no executive rights taking S$4m a year, S$16m in 4 years…

In the last election, 1 GRC is lost to the opposition and the president won by a very small margin.

Anyone thinking of migrating to Singapore must also note that male children above 18yo will be liable for NS. And recently 2 boys are killed alongside with a record of other deaths over the recent years as a result of crap management for the conscription. And while Singapore is importing foreign PHDs and Masters degree holders to compete with Singaporeans for jobs, MOE (recent years) suggested that the ministry purposely does not want so many Singaporeans to be degree holders.

Singapore’s system is operating based on meritocracy. Which is… even if you are not competent, as long as you have the certs, you will be considered talents and doors to the now lucrative civil service sectors will be opened to you, if you are a scholar. Which explains the current decline in Singapore’s situation.

There have been ‘talks’ about change by the leaders. Of course, when will changes come and how will be another story altogether.

So, if you are keen in living in Singapore… please make sure your wallet is well prepared.

Yeah, but don’t forget, Singapore may be expensive, but the broads are the ugliest in all of Asia!

So, you know, you got that going for you.

Which is good.

[quote=“the chief”]Yeah, but don’t forget, Singapore may be expensive, but the broads are the ugliest in all of Asia!

Which is good.[/quote]

The broads? If you are talking about women… generally, Singaporean girls ain’t that pretty and the frequency of seeing a pretty one is really lower than in Taiwan or China.
The funniest part is… Singaporean girls usually think they are the elites of international girls… if going by their superficial demands.

Hence, Singaporean men happily prefer overseas babes. This is a trend in Singapore.

[quote=“sincityhenry”][quote=“the chief”]Yeah, but don’t forget, Singapore may be expensive, but the broads are the ugliest in all of Asia!

Which is good.[/quote]

The broads? If you are talking about women… [/quote]
Nooooooooooooo The Chief would never say that about women. He’s talking about the broad roads. There is no character to the roads in Singapore.

I enjoyed my two years in Singabore.

I had a nice landed house with a 40 year old garden and had a nice marina in which to keep my boat. The food was good and cheap but the booze was outrageous.

It is clean and efficient if overpriced and a bit dull at times. You need to ignore that fact that everything operates on a kind of caste system and if you like sports, it’s got a great sports culture.

The Chief probably thinks that way because he believes that the four floors of doors if actually full of women, but most people know better.

I ain’t no fan of the cultural relativism of some of SIngapore’s leaders but calling the city dull is just plain wrong or the poster ain’t making enough coin to thoroughly enjoy the city. Whether it’s eating at fantastic hawker centres, shopping on Orchard Road or Sim Lim, weekend fun at Orchard Towers, Geylang or Batam, and whooping it up with Sarong Party girls, Singapore was heaven on earth socially for a man in his 20s. Great infrastructure, zero tariffs except liquor and auto stuff, and pretty easy to set up a business. It may be disneyland with the death penalty, but it has some great rides.

[quote=“divea”][quote=“sincityhenry”][quote=“the chief”]Yeah, but don’t forget, Singapore may be expensive, but the broads are the ugliest in all of Asia!

Which is good.[/quote]

The broads? If you are talking about women… [/quote]
Nooooooooooooo The Chief would never say that about women. He’s talking about the broad roads. There is no character to the roads in Singapore.[/quote]

Broad’s definition is about women.

I don’t know about the signs and roads… sorry.

I stayed in China before…

I watched the ads, the TV programs, the selections, the bargaining culture, the social culture… They are all better than Singapore. In fact, if not for the massive corruption and horrible governance, China or Taiwan will be better than Singapore.

It’s easy to do business or ANYTHING as long as you have money here. There are very little avenues as compared to in China to raise money. The market is small, competition is tough, once you have one successful bubble tea, everywhere will be selling…

Foreigners made money but seldom benefit the local citizens… So the people are angry with the incumbent.

I stayed in China before…

I watched the ads, the TV programs, the selections, the bargaining culture, the social culture… They are all better than Singapore. In fact, if not for the massive corruption and horrible governance, China or Taiwan will be better than Singapore.

It’s easy to do business or ANYTHING as long as you have money here. There are very little avenues as compared to in China to raise money. The market is small, competition is tough, once you have one successful bubble tea, everywhere will be selling…

Foreigners made money but seldom benefit the local citizens… So the people are angry with the incumbent.[/quote]

But at least they know to capitalise Disneyland.

Um, Chewmeister, perhaps a Sage can get loose on one can but the crazy tax on alcohol really ruined Singapore for me.
And, as has been mentioned, the womenfolk are a little bit too…um… I hate to say it… I usually cringe when I hear drivel about women XYZ versus women ABC but dang, a fellow’s neck muscles don’t get much of a work-out pounding the mean clean streets of the Lion City.
Slurp.

[quote=“the chief”]
But at least they know to capitalise Disneyland.[/quote]

I’d prefer to pay a professional editor such as you 200NT a day to do such revisions! :laughing:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

1 Like