Living in Taichung

Hi there all, Im new to this Forum, but just from reading it I can see it is very imformative.

I am moving to Taiwan in February with a friend of mine and have a few questions which I hope I could some help on.

1)I am Canadian (no degree) but want to work, what is the best type of visa I could get that would allow most access to Taiwan?

2)We want to move to Taichung, and was wondering what our cost of living would be for a basic apartment (1 bedroom) and going out every now and then ?

3)What are our chances of working in Taiwan (Taichung) if we both dont have degrees but have experience teaching before?

I thankyou in advance, it seems like it is so hard to find answers out there!

-Steve Ramsey

[quote=“Steve&Daisy”]Hi there all, Im new to this Forum, but just from reading it I can see it is very imformative.

I am moving to Taiwan in February with a friend of mine and have a few questions which I hope I could some help on.
[/quote]

I trust you are planning to teach something other than English! :wink:

S****:

What you are proposing to do is illegal, so if I were you, I wouldn’t go about advertising my name.

You, as a Canadian (assuming you are white), will, nevertheless, have no trouble finding a job, degree or no degree.

However, seeing your English ability is limited, you

Kindergartens are your best bet in Taichung. There are loads of illegal ones and they pay well. Plenty of degree-less foreigners teach at these places.

As long as you have a ‘fun’ personality and the kids like you, you’ll be fine. If the kindy is paying its dues to the local cops you should get a warning if the cops are going to do a check. They rarely do apparently. Good luck.