Living in Tainan

Don’t let them know about the windsurfing in Anping… :slight_smile:

[quote=“Okami”]Great more reports get out like this and we will have every backpacking patchouli wearing hippie coming to live in Tainan.
[/quote]

That isn’t very nice. :laughing:

[quote=“KaiXi333”][quote=“Okami”]Great more reports get out like this and we will have every backpacking patchouli wearing hippie coming to live in Tainan.
[/quote]

That isn’t very nice. :laughing:[/quote]

it’s true, they do smoke pot and smell bad…

You can compare just about anywhere outside of North America and Europe in terms of cost-of-living using US$ and Euro and it’ll look great. He forgets to mention that the average foreigner in Tainan is lucky to make US$1500/month. If you compare that, using their method, kids waiting tables in New York, tending bar or the illegal immigrant picking tomatoes looks like they’re well off by comparison. Honestly, how many people in the US would be happy with US$18 000 a year? You can’t compare Tainan to Florida in US$. :loco:

It’s all about perspective.

Besides:

Possible. That’s about NT$6 600, but I can guarantee it’s a shit hole. I was house hunting for several months until I finally found a place I was happy with and I can guarantee that for a house, anything less that NT$8 000 is a rat hole, old and crapola. Or way out in the sticks, far from anything and everything (and even then it’s still going to be old and comparably shitty, especially for the NT$6 000 range).

Absolute bullshit. That would make your electric bill around NT$330 (or NT$660 every two months as the bill comes bi-monthly). Even when I was living in a “one bunk hilton” the electric bill averaged over NT$1000 (or NT$500). And that was in the winter without a/c.
Anywhere bigger will easily be NT$1500 - 2 000 (NT$700 - 1000/month), without using a/c, and can quite easily go up to NT$5 000 or more. And that’s in an apartment (2 bedrooms).
I live in a 2 story 3 bedroom) house now, and during the winter it was NT$3 000 (or NT$1 500/month).

maybe his electricity is so low because he is a filthy pot-smoking hippy who doesn’t bath or clean the house and thinks he might die from keeping a fan running at night, let alone creating a monster carbon footprint by using AC. OH, and his transport is a bicycle but he sometimes drives his neighbor’s van that runs on recycled ro yuan oil.

maybe.

[quote=“urodacus”]maybe his electricity is so low because he is a filthy pot-smoking hippy who doesn’t bath or clean the house and thinks he might die from keeping a fan running at night, let alone creating a monster carbon footprint by using AC. OH, and his transport is a bicycle but he sometimes drives his neighbor’s van that runs on recycled ro yuan oil.

maybe.[/quote]
It’d have to be something like that!

[quote=“daftpunk”]Thank you for the response :bow:

I will need the place for 3 months. I think that I don’t need to give a deposit because I knew people who were there for only a month. The rooms are near the Cheng Kung University. Here is the website of the flats with photographs : nandu.com.tw/02.htm[/quote]

Finally there is maybe no more rooms for my schoolmates and I at this place. I’m in Taipei now and we’re going to Tainan on thursday and we don’t know where we will live yet. Is it easy to find an apartment there?

You serious that there’s no rooms there? That’s really strange. I know at least 3 people who are leaving there in a few weeks.

They have a No. 1 which might be out of rooms.

You can try the school’s Prince dormitory, talk to the International Office at NCKU and ask if you’re eligible. Pretty much the same stuff but more expensive and right across the road from the uni.

We arrived today and we finally found a campus where to live and a less expansive one.
Have you some ideas of places to visit or where to hang out?

:bow:

I have only visited Tainan for like 2 days before, but the area near NCKU looks fun. Lots of food and shops around there, I think.

We will finally try to rent a flat before the end of the month, because the rooms are very bad. For instance the bed isn’t a really one but a wood board…

heh heh heh …French people…whadda ya gonna do…:smiley:

…when they’ll come for you… :smiley:

Do you know where I can change euros for Taiwan dollars? I tried all the banks of my neighbourhood but none of them accepted to change them…

Thanks. :bow:

All the beds in Taiwan are like that, unless you go to IKEA and buy a really expensive one. Run down to Carrefour or the ‘sell everything’ shop on Shengli Rd (on the corner with the food st) and pick up a foam mattress to put on top, they’re about $1000 for a good one.

The post office on campus used to advertise that it changed Euros. If it doesn’t I don’t think there’s anywhere in the neighbourhood, unfortunately… You have to head over to the Bank of Taiwan, which is quite a walk. Most banks only change USD or JPY =S

I’m the Londoner you met in the lobby when you guys checked in, btw.

Hey,

Do you know in which bank I can change Euros to NTD?

Thanks a lot.

[quote=“daftpunk”]Hey,

Do you know in which bank I can change Euros to NTD?

Thanks a lot.[/quote]

Maybe these guys? Give them a call, if they dont they will know who does?

business.com/directory/finan … k/profile/

Hello guys!
Nice to meet you all.

I just registered in Forumosa and was thinking where I could introduce myself… happened that I found this thread and I believe it is the best place to make my appearance since I am coming to Tainan in August and will be living there for quite a while. Seems some of the Tainan-etes of Forumosa are posting here some very convenient info :notworthy:
So I guess it is a good idea to get to know the forum members who live there, and hope to get some help from you for my start-up. My Chinese is close to null (around the same amount of hours as this French mate up here) but I’ll have a local helping hand, albeit from Taipei. :pray:

mmmmm, I don’t want to extend myself with details , as for now just that I am also coming to NCKU (long-term, though) and I am Spanish…
I’ve been in Tainan only for a few days a year ago, I hope upon arrival someone among you would show me around a bit. :popcorn:
Best regards!

Bienvenides Vagabundo…I hope you enjoy your time in Tainan.
NCKU is a fine University. What is the area of your courses?
Y con la mujeres del Panamá…Cuidado!

[quote=“vagabundo”]Hello guys!
Nice to meet you all.

I just registered in Forumosa and was thinking where I could introduce myself… happened that I found this thread and I believe it is the best place to make my appearance since I am coming to Tainan in August and will be living there for quite a while. Seems some of the Tainan-etes of Forumosa are posting here some very convenient info :notworthy:
So I guess it is a good idea to get to know the forum members who live there, and hope to get some help from you for my start-up. My Chinese is close to null (around the same amount of hours as this French mate up here) but I’ll have a local helping hand, albeit from Taipei. :pray:

mmmmm, I don’t want to extend myself with details , as for now just that I am also coming to NCKU (long-term, though) and I am Spanish…
I’ve been in Tainan only for a few days a year ago, I hope upon arrival someone among you would show me around a bit. :popcorn:
Best regards![/quote]
Welcome to the forum and Tainan, Taiwan.
As TC said, NCKU is a good university. You mention you’re Spanish. Is that Spanish as in you’re from Spain, or Spanish as in Latin America? I’ll assume for now that you meant Spain. Either way, you may find quite a bit has changed since you were here last. NCKU has had an influx of Latin American students (MBA students for the most part, although many also take advantage of the free Chinese lessons at the Chinese Language Center at NCKU as part of their iMBA package). As such you’ll have no shortage of Spanish speakers to help you out and show you around, as well as loads of other international students from elsewhere in Asia, North America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Europe.

I think you’ll find your stay in Tainan to be very enjoyable. Let us know on this thread if you have any questions about Tainan.

Also, to repeat what TC asked. What are you planning on studying at NCKU?