Living in Taipei commuting daily to Hsinchu?

If you’re able to work from home, then that certainly changes things. If not, then it’s just a matter of how much family time you’re willing to sacrifice.

It’s still better than the husband having to work in China, which seems to be an acceptable thing for many families now.

Does the company even have a shuttle? I’m not sure how close the HSR station is to the science park, but I’m guessing it’s not too close.

The HSR is not very convenient for the science park, especially at rush hour.

I commuted between Taipei (Xindian) and Hsinchu (Science Park) for around a year every day. I left Taipei every morning just after 6AM and was in Hsinchu about 45-50 minutes later. No problem with rush hour, the highway was pratically deserted. Evenings were more problematic, especially the interchanges around ChuBei and Taoyuan and entering Taipei City proper.

Later on I got lucky when my boss allowed me to leave to office at 4PM for the commute back. In return, I started work at 6AM which meants leaving Xindian no later than 5:15AM.

*Edit: Not really heplful unless you are willing/allowed to work flexi hours.

[quote=“Anubis”]I commuted between Taipei (Xindian) and Xinzhu (Hsinchu) (Science Park) for around a year every day. I left Taipei every morning just after 6AM and was in Xinzhu (Hsinchu) about 45-50 minutes later. No problem with rush hour, the highway was pratically deserted. Evenings were more problematic, especially the interchanges around ChuBei and Taoyuan and entering Taipei City proper.

Later on I got lucky when my boss allowed me to leave to office at 4PM for the commute back. In return, I started work at 6AM which meants leaving Xindian no later than 5:15AM.

*Edit: Not really heplful unless you are willing/allowed to work flexi hours.[/quote]

so you work 10 hours/day? what do you do?

[quote=“forealz”]
so you work 10 hours/day? what do you do?[/quote]

That’s pretty much a standard Taipei office day.
Most places have like a 90 minute lunch break.
You know, so everyone can catch up on their sleep.
Also, the official Taipei work week is like 45 hours.

[quote=“forealz”][quote=“Anubis”]I commuted between Taipei (Xindian) and Xinzhu (Xinzhu (Hsinchu)) (Science Park) for around a year every day. I left Taipei every morning just after 6AM and was in Xinzhu (Xinzhu (Hsinchu)) about 45-50 minutes later. No problem with rush hour, the highway was pratically deserted. Evenings were more problematic, especially the interchanges around ChuBei and Taoyuan and entering Taipei City proper.

*Edit: Not really heplful unless you are willing/allowed to work flexi hours.[/quote]

so you work 10 hours/day? what do you do?[/quote]

Yes, it was a 10-hour day at the office with lunch at my desk. Of course, I also spent many a night working because a 10-hour workday is ‘short’ compared to the ‘standard’ of around 12-16 hours a day. Like I said, I was quite fortunate to have an open-minded boss who was task rather than time oriented.

I work in the Science Park.

[quote=“Anubis”]Yes, it was a 10-hour day . . .

I work in the Science Park.[/quote]

Heck, as long as you enjoy your work, that’s what’s important. :wink:

Until the bills come due :slight_smile:

Sorry to revive an old thread but has the commute improvedcat all? There’s a job near the hat in hsinchu but I’d be wanting to travel regularly to Taipei or maybe even live there and work in hsinchu.

Is this advisible? I’d be willing to live in banqiao as well