Living in Taitung?

Do you? Do you know anyone who does? Would you consider it?
Just toying with this idea for the possible long-term future.
The traffic in Taitung is not bad and the city seems overall more spacious and prettier than Hualien.
Are there any English teaching jobs for foreigners?
Are people, as they seem to be, generally pretty relaxed and friendly?
Any stories, experiences or ideas appreciated.

I know a very friendly Nigerian woman who lives there. That’s about all I know aside from the Amigo Hostel being filthy. And avoid doing any boats tours shortly after a typhoon…

<

)—(

Does she enjoy living there?

[quote=“ImaniOU”]And avoid doing any boats tours shortly after a typhoon…
[/quote]
Seems like most of the typhoons hit there first.
I’ve been looking into the general climate.
It gets avg. 94 rainy days a year as opposed to Taichung’s 80. Summers are slightly cooler, winters slightly milder.
As far as I can find out population is about one ninth Taichung’s.

Show me the jobs!
Joesax,
Check out tealit! There is absolutely nothing for Taidong and Hualien. I’ve had friends who went looking for work on the East Coast but couldn’t find anything. I guess it’s different if you’re married to a local lass.

I love Hualien - the way it is sandwiched (no Blueface - not one of those sandwiches) between the mountains and the sea. Taidong is not quite as dramatic but is the only place in Taiwan where I have had a feeling of spaciousness, of a huge sky - blue horizon stretching to blue horizon.

Robert Storey lives outside of Taidong city. He says it’s nice but complains about some of the inbred locals (and the snakes that come into his house).

Lots of cool and happy foreigners live there. It’s a great place to chill and enjoy life in the slow lane. Jobs yes, women plenty, food delicious. But better have a trust fund, just to be safe. Probably the best place to live in Taiwan, bar none. It’s in my future, too, if I have a future. I’m still trying to reclaim my past.

Robert Storey lives in Taidong? Has he been to the Amigo Hostel lately? If that place attracted nearly as many tourists as it does roaches it would be rolling in the money. :imp:

My Nigerian friend moved from Kaohsiung to Taidong after her husband, an aborigine, died. She’s been there for a long time as far as I know and introduced me to some really friendly aborigines there. She also bought a huge house (in addition to being like 5 stories tall) for what some people in Taipei pay per year in rent for a little closet-sized apartment. I don’t think there is a huge market for jobs and the ones who are already there teaching may not welcome newcomers coming in to take away business. It’s an okay town…nice and quiet, but I personally think I’d go mad living there.

Personally, I have gone mad living in Tai Bay. That’s why I am thinking of removing myself to Tai Zone. I need to get my sanity back before it’s too late. It already be too late. Most people think so. I believe there is still hope. Where is HakkaSonic when I need him?

Toyed with the idea of moving to Taidong myself. Spent a couple weekends down there checkin it out and had a freind who moved there looking for a change of pace from Taipei. He lasted about six months. I think he just got bored, but he was a bit of a slut for the nightlife, so don’t know what worth that has. Though he did say that dating scene there was NOT a go. It’s a SMALL town. Not many girls want the whole town and their families talking about her dating a foreigner. Some won’t mind, but either she’s REAL cool or REAL erm… thingy.

I opted out for a few reasons. One main reason I was; the foreign community is too small. Of course you would think this is a plus but… there seemed to be a lot of gossip and intrigue going on. Within two hours of arriving I overheard conversations from two sides of the warring camps of foreigners. Stuff to do with narcs, foreign affairs police, this that and a whole lot of other bullshit. Anyway that was a while ago, and maybe that whole thing has blown over… but I doubt the overall situation has changed. That being, too few people with too much time on their hands. Everybody (locals and foreigners alike) knows your business. You move there and you are in competition with those who have already been there for a while for the limited jobs that are there. Sure, you can be real nice and friendly, lay real low and not step on anybody’s toes… but who can handle having to watch what you say and do and try to get along with everybody for very long? I’m just not that type, even if I’m pretty agreeable most of the time. I instead just found a place that has fresh air a little outside of Taipei. If I’m going nuts, I go into town. If I piss some people off, no problem, plenty more people out there.

If you could make it work though, it would be great. Deserted beaches, cheap rent, great weather, friendly (if nosy) locals… hmmm ok haven’t completely given up hope of moving there.

When I went there a year and a half ago, I went to the only foreigner venue, the Gringo (or was it the Amigo…same diff) bar where the FA stormed the place and took everyone’s ID…local and foreigner. Two guys got carted off for not having their passports. On my way out, one of the officers very casually asked me the usual: how long I had been in Taiwan, did I like it, what I did I do and I told him that I taught in a school in Taipei. He immediately asked for my ARC and I popped it out, fighting very hard to not say, “BAM! And you can call my boss too, bitch!”…okay, okay…not too hard…:wink:

Personally, I get a little worried everytime I find out just how closely connected the foreigner population is here in Taipei…3 degrees of separation almost. I can’t imagine how scary it would be where the population is like 1/3 or less of Taipei.

If you want to work and lie in Taidong, than you must get intouch with the local foreign community and be on the look out for someone leaving their legal job.

I couldn’t live there. It’s too small and so everybody will be in your business. It’s also not exactly the most happening place, but if you wanted to just do nothing for a year and have breathable air, it would be the place.

CYA
Okami

Thanks to all posters above.
I hadn’t really considered the ‘small-town mentality’. I met my Taiwanese friend there at university in the UK and she, apart from being an extremely kind and friendly person, speaks better English than many Taipei residents I know.
But on reflection, of course there would be a small-town mentality and I should have thought of that before. Perhaps in some ways people (locals anyway) could be even friendlier than in other places. But there could be a fair bit of ignorance to contend with and that could be frustrating not only in daily life but also when trying to practise effective English teaching.

I haven’t given up the idea but the advice given has certainly given me pause for thought - that in a good way, since it’s best to have knowlege of and be prepared for possible difficult situations.

1 Like