Living in Taiwan is Like ... Whatever

Not intended to put forth idoms about qualitiy of living in Taiwan, only intended for idioms of any nature to be made.

Two I have heard recently.

• Living in Taiwan is like smoking opium. You try a little, then you have some more, then you begin to think it is a great thing. Yes, the opium is good, but it really isn’t that great of a life once you step away from it and look at other things in life and the world.

• Living in Taiwan is like cooking a frog in hot water. Put a frog in hot water, and it will jump out. Put a frog in room temperature water (whatever that is) and then slowly heat it up, and the frog will be cooked without jumping out.

[quote=“tango42”]

• Living in Taiwan is like cooking a frog in hot water. Put a frog in hot water, and it will jump out. Put a frog in room temperature water (whatever that is) and then slowly heat it up, and the frog will be cooked without jumping out.[/quote]

Uhhh, sooo what, Taiwan is the water?
You mean you can’t tell when it’s getting hot?
Taiwan is the frog, and…Asia is the water??
How does that possibly make sense?
Wait, Taiwan is the pot, your house is the water?

Snappy little bon mot, not sure if it works here though.
Also I read somewhere how it isn’t true, the frog jumps out as the water heats up.

[quote=“the chief”]
Also I read somewhere how it isn’t true, the frog jumps out as the water heats up.[/quote]

Not if you bite the head off first.

[quote=“urodacus”][quote=“the chief”]
Also I read somewhere how it isn’t true, the frog jumps out as the water heats up.[/quote]

Not if you bite the head off first.[/quote]

Thanks Ozzy.

[quote=“urodacus”][quote=“the chief”]

You mean not if the frog smoked opium first.

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“urodacus”][quote=“the chief”]

You mean not if the frog smoked opium first.[/quote]

Ok! Now we’re getting somewhere.

So.

Living in Taiwan is like biting the head off an opium-smoking frog.

Thanks, good night, and drive safely.

living in Taiwan is like having sex on an ikea table. It’s sturdy, non-descript and it does the job (for now). But, it’s not very interesting is it? Surely you want a table with all sorts of things on it to catch your attention, things to play with, dials and switches to press etc

Ever been to a Taiwanese Love Hotel?

Ever been to a Taiwanese Love Hotel?[/quote]
We need to save those thoughts for… Living in a Taiwanese Love Hotel is like…

Anyone want to break the news to the OP that those aren’t idioms?

:loco:

I always liked the one about how living here is like just the same as at home, except mum’s gone out and left dad in charge.
But maybe that’s not an idiom either. OK. Living in Taiwan is like shagging a well-lubed donkey. Fucking fanTAStic!

Obviously the subtle difference between idioms and similes has escaped him. But different strokes for different strokes I guess.

Taiwan is like so whatever.

Too Californian, perhaps?

or you talking about having sex on a table or with a table… :ponder:

Living in Taipei is exactly the same as living in New York City, except Chinatown is a bit bigger.

I once wrote my friends back home (remember writing??) that driving my motorcycle to work in Taipei was like riding a tricycle around in a rodeo arena while all the events were going on at the same time.
And the cops were far less effective than the clowns.

A psycho xiajie in the hand is worth two betelnut beauties in a fruit stand.

I always thought living in Taiwan was kind of like living in South Africa, except other drivers drive worse than taxi drivers, and stumbling home drunk from [strike]the 7-11[/strike] some posh bar (where I wasn’t being a penny pinching tight arse foreigner) isn’t an invitation for being raped, robbed and left for dead on the side of the road.

Cynical, Bismarck, cynical.

Cynical, Bismarck, cynical.[/quote]
It comes with age. And practice. Loads of practice. :wink: