Living in Taiwan vs. China and elsewhere

It depends on where in Europe. And you have to account for the role and requirements. PhD level folks with years of experience in Taiwan are earning a fraction of what freshly minted compsci undergrads are earning at these companies in the US. And in the US (and to a lesser extent in Europe) the career ceiling is much higher as well.

I don’t know as much about China since I think the poaching is more in hardware but it looks pretty easy to double or triple your salary and get more fringe benefits just by hopping over the Strait.

1 Like

As in they have spent their careers there and China has changed a lot and they are no longer valuable anymore. International company are replacing expats with locals, especially those that can’t speak Chinese.

China has changed a lot in the last three years and local brands are getting really savvy and expats are viewed as out of touch. Especially as the growth opportunities are in the third and fourth tiers, where behaviour and habits are far removed from the big cities and the rest of the world.

This is only referring to retail , I don’t know about other industry

Not down with dystopia? Get out!

There is that part, but I’m talking about local brands and companies just being quicker and more flexible than global brands. In beauty, all of the rising brands are Chinese, when there wouldn’t be a single domestic brand in top ten, five years ago.

China has a large manufacturing base and consumer economy. Add growing nationalism into the mix and the emergence of popular local brands isn’t at all surprising.

When international travel resumes, I look forward to encountering fewer Chinese tourists on shopping sprees for foreign goods. Let them enjoy their C-beauty, C-fashion, C-everything.

Sure, but as China looks inward , the opportunity for expats gets smaller

1 Like

Who cares. There’s lots of better places to live and work. I could have moved there a few times and everytime I looked at it and thought…mehhhhh .
Plus foreign companies are reducing their investments in China and increasing in places like Vietnam which are more fun anyway.

2 Likes

Again, as i said that’s got everything to do with china having no future. They are pushing the foreigners out simply because of the nationalism push. Chinese are still not qualified and still largely good at copying only.

Not investing your future in china has been known by expats for the longest time. Some choose to put the blinders on. I still even see some today with the blinders on, i don’t know why anyone would even go there for a holiday after the events of this year, let alone plan their future there.

1 Like

I’d have to wonder about any expats who want to stay in the dystopia that is China. The West has plenty of problems but history has not been so kind to totalitarian states.

1 Like

Hundreds of thousands of expats are there are forced to readdress their future. They like it there and care. Everything on Forumosa will just be “China is shit” but lots of people really like living there

But in general , just signifies the expat of old is dying out.

1 Like

This is really outdated now. I hate the CCP but in terms of innovation, there is a lot of exciting things happening. It’s not true that foreigners are only being pushed out because of nationalism, many are just not competitive or relevant anymore

Have you met Shanghai expats? Many really really love it, are paid well and think they are in the most innovative and exciting place in the world.

I don’t agree with them , but this is what a lot think

What exciting things have they done? i can think of literally one project. i saw an interesting animation not so long ago, i looked into it… foreign team. Its not outdated at all, when censorship and brainwashing rules your life creativity does not exist.

And yes china are planning to get rid of all english teachers. what else could explain the point better, they are planning to replace all native english speakers with chinese english teachers, better qualified… right you are.

In tech and retail there are too many to name and anything I bring up will just be derided. People really get their bristles up at the idea that china is being innovative. And I detest the CCP more than most but still try to keep neutral.

Saying creativity doesn’t exist is borderline racist. Go and look at 小米有品

I don’t really consider English teachers expats. They might be pushed out of the market because of nationalism, but that is not what is happening with foreign brands and decision makers

1 Like

I agree China has a lot of innovative business models now. Also new tech such as drones came from there. They are the fastest moving with e-commerce. In terms of medicine or consumer gadgets or gaming or music
or movies or cars or anything else I haven’t seen much though. It will take a few years to see them emerge.

Consumer gadgets they are. For whatever reason iot and smart products really took off early there.

Movies or art not really.

It’s hard to narrow down. Take a look at tiktok and China government being really protective over their AI. In terms of recommendation and personalization engines, they are light-years ahead, which is the reason for TikToks stickiness

I didn’t see them filter out from there yet. I guess it’s a matter of time . I know China is very big in AI. China very much failed in its soft influence on the world, something which I almost 100% ascribe to the CCP!

2 Likes

I’ve read the PRC is miles ahead in face recognition software and other surveillance technologies.

Guy

Yeah this is an issue. Five or more years ago ,we got a mix of positive and negative stories about China. The CCP has been so abhorrent that there is no market for positive stories about China anymore, meaning we don’t find out about where they are advancing.

1 Like

Taiwan is good at face recognition as well, but not compared to China