Living in Taoyuan 2022

I earn just a bit more than this and even after paying all expenses for me, my wife and daughter I still save $30,000 a month. Our rent is also $20,000, but we’re in New Taipei.

Being single in Taoyuan with that salary you could easily save $35,000 a month as long as you don’t go too crazy.

2 Likes

What is your apartment like for 20k.

That’s a fair bit of saving with a wife and kids!

1 Like

Two bedroom, living room, kitchen and bathroom. Two balconies, and an elevator in a managed building with security guards. Should be able to get better than that for less in Taoyuan

Ok interesting, I’ve been looking on 591 and there is literally some of the shittest apartments I’ve seen for around 15k. I can’t believe that is truly the case

You’ll have to pay near 20 unless you move out near the airport. Then you can get something decent for 10-12.

If I had a scooter would it be ok living out there?

Using google maps, I’m getting somewhere between 16 km and 22 km between the airport and the high school you mentioned.

Guy

Sorry… Which school?

Ah found it. 桃園高中

Seems like living near the airport would be a total hassle to me, even with a scooter, depending on where you’d be working of course. Definitely wouldn’t be my first choice (even compared to Taoyuan in general) if you’re wanting to experience living in Taiwan for a year.

You should probably check your budget too. If you’re due to arrive soon, it seems like your post-tax salary will be closer to 57k for the rest of this year (18% non-resident rate, no exemption or deductions), not including NHI and whatever else employed people need to pay. I don’t know the rates off the top of my head, but you can find tables online. The rent might be more of your salary than you’re expecting for the first few months.

How’s this? @Bucky

These are all fairly close to the high school. You’ll want a scooter probably. I haven’t looked at them in incredible detail but they seem newish and fairly decent for your budget.

5 Likes

I’m looking for an apartment in Taoyuan too, but quite a few agents said I have to have a ROC ID to rent the apartment… which is weird, never been asked that before in my life.

Is that because it’s part of social housing from the government?

Ohh wow thank you very much

In fact, I think they’re close enough to bike there so you might not necessarily need the scooter. Also, some are really close to the train station for that sweet sweet public transport.

Mate thanks so much! the stuff coming up for me was truely terrible. I was using translator so maybe I was missing something

Possibly. Hopefully these work out for you!

Very good point, I have a bit of savings to get by. I will get back 13% after 6months which will be a nice lil bonus

Just to point out - if you’re charged the non-resident rate because you’re here less than 183 days in a tax/calendar year, you won’t be getting that back. That’s the actual tax rate.

I didn’t read if you mentioned above when you’re planning to come here though.

(It’s not 13% btw, but a bit more.)

In Taoyuan, so not off topic…

Just enjoying a decadent, homemade cinnamon roll (soft, with sticky frosting) and a mocha Baileys adult beverage at a bar near my place. Here in Taoyuan, my home for the past 14 years.

The OP may not appreciate significance of the cinnamon roll, but some of you will.

See, Taoyuan ain’t all that bad :grin:

7 Likes

Excuse me…umm… I think I need to sell my house.

3 Likes

Ooof yeah na I can get around that roll!

Tell me more about the food scene of possible please!