Living in Yilan - the pros and cons?

I too fall in with those who’d prefer to stay out of Taipei. The pollution (air and noise,) the crowded streets, and expensive rent are weighty turn-offs for me. Thus, my inclination toward Yilan, Xinzhu, and Tainan among others that are even more appealing but less practical locations. Still I imagine there are still very many who are drawn to Taipei public transport, the bounty of activities, nightlife, and a vast array of stores and markets for anything you desire. It simply not for me (well public transit is) but I usually assume that I am not the norm.

XinBiDe, do you think that if I end up finding a job in Yilan, that some of your friends from TKU would be willing to meet or chat? This wouldn’t be until late August but I would be interested in making some local English-speaking friends until I can improve my Mandarin to at least basic conversational.

To me, Yilan was a nice quiet town during my visit there previously, and I also had bad experience with Ivy League, let’s just say that the owner, brother-sister tag team Ann and Kenny Liao were as fake as they can get, they don’t treat any of their workers with respect (pretends too though), and that is why they are always hiring with ads of “escape Taipei, come work in Yilan with beach nearby to surf” copy/paste ads in numerous sites because teachers run away the night of pay-day. I did not work at the school, but did interview with them few months ago and during my demo I can tell the students were not too bright either but I think the school don’t do anything to help them. So for any foreigners wanting to go Yilan, beware of this school, they are nothing but a waste of time. If you really want to surf, just work/live in Taipei and go there on weekends.

Yep - I agree with what you said, Doraemon 2008

What really annoyed me, was that their veneer cracked when I told them I didn’t want to work there after my 2 day trial. Then they charged me tax on the money I earned, which is a con.

They turned it around and said that I would never be a good teacher, and that I gave up too easily. The place is a joke, and I really had to bite my tongue when the owner and her brother did a speech about how they believe in ‘real’ teaching and how long their family has been in the education game.

The classes are too big, the students have zero respect for the teachers and the whole place is rundown. I feel sorry for the teachers who work there, 2 of them were very nice. As for the guy who conned me into travelling 5 hours to get there… no comment :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe they’re slightly more shifty than the average Taiwanese employer, but it would only be a difference of degree, not kind. I’m becoming extremely cynical about almost the whole teaching environment here. I mean cynical beyond your average level of cynicism. I think the whole thing is rotten to the core now because I think the entire culture is rotten to the core now. I’m sure there are some standout operations doing really great things, but from what I can tell, incompetence, dishonesty, penny-pinching and exploitation are the norm. I’m at the point where I don’t really care that much about the students or their parents either these days. If they wanted better, either from private enterprise or the government system, they’d demand better and effect some sort of change, but most seemingly don’t. So, screw them, I say. They deserve what they get because deep down, they want what they get.

If you want better, do it for yourself and provide a top service to those few people in this country who aren’t bound by morbid fear when considering showing some initiative, critical thinking skills or scruples. You surely won’t encounter such traits in most people because they’re too busy saving face, passing the buck or finding some other way to avoid having the sack to take some individual responsibility for their actions in life. Otherwise, go somewhere where the culture doesn’t institutionalise incompetence, dishonesty, penny-pinching and exploitation at every level and every age.

I nearly have enough for my one way ticket to the moon.

Weird. That’s exactly what puts me off living in the boonies. Apart from the expensive rent, of course. And of course, its not that the rents are expensive in Taipei, its that they’re cheap elsewhere, because elsewhere is dirty and crowded in comparison and prices reflect that.

I lived in Taipei from 1982 to 1988, married a Taiwanese man and moved to the U.S. In 2008 we retired (partially) in Yilan. I know very little Chinese and have only run into 3 English speakers (other than my husband) since I arrived last August. Yes, there are a few local people who speak and understand a few sentences in English…about as much as I speak Chinese. The people are very friendly but occasionally I get stares. My husband and I joke about them seeing E.T. I do miss the English speaking community that I experienced in Taipei but I don’t miss the air pollution.

The air here is pretty good and there are lovely views from the nearby mountains. There are also some good restaurants up there. The annual rainfall is high and like most of Taiwan the summers are hot and humid.

I teach privates 3 nights per week and hope to increase that sometime in the future. My husband and I both receive social security and he inherited a townhouse so our living expenses are low. The government medical program is low cost and so are the costs for doctors, surgeries and meds. The medical care here is as good as anywhere in Taiwan in my opinion. Fresh fruits and vegetables are cheap and abundant. Food street stalls and little hole-in-the-wall eateries are also abundant and inexpensive. There are also many mid-priced and more expensive restaurants. There are also quite a few hot-pot (all you can eat) places.

It is a pretty quiet place and there are a lot of retired Taiwanese here. In addition to the local supermarkets there is a supermarket with its roots in France. They carry some imported products. I hope this can help anyone thinking about living in Yilan.

Chater said: [quote]I hope this can help anyone thinking about living in Yilan.[/quote]

Yes! Chater, this is perfect, thank you for sharing!!

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]Maybe they’re slightly more shifty than the average Taiwanese employer, but it would only be a difference of degree, not kind. I’m becoming extremely cynical about almost the whole teaching environment here. I mean cynical beyond your average level of cynicism. I think the whole thing is rotten to the core now because I think the entire culture is rotten to the core now. I’m sure there are some standout operations doing really great things, but from what I can tell, incompetence, dishonesty, penny-pinching and exploitation are the norm. I’m at the point where I don’t really care that much about the students or their parents either these days. If they wanted better, either from private enterprise or the government system, they’d demand better and effect some sort of change, but most seemingly don’t. So, screw them, I say. They deserve what they get because deep down, they want what they get.

If you want better, do it for yourself and provide a top service to those few people in this country who aren’t bound by morbid fear when considering showing some initiative, critical thinking skills or scruples. You surely won’t encounter such traits in most people because they’re too busy saving face, passing the buck or finding some other way to avoid having the sack to take some individual responsibility for their actions in life. Otherwise, go somewhere where the culture doesn’t institutionalise incompetence, dishonesty, penny-pinching and exploitation at every level and every age.[/quote]
Sounds like good old culture shock. Welcome.

I would imagine finding a job with enough hours (or jobs) would be far, far easier in Taipei than anywhere else, except perhaps Kaohsiung.

kage: I’ve been here almost two years, and just when I think I have it all sorted out, I’m amazed yet again at how low people can stoop and the general level of bullshit here. Maybe some people do get used to it, though one of my colleagues who has been here almost nine years says he’s never gotten used to it.

Guy, that’s just the human condition, not Taiwan. You need a holiday, then you’d see that the Taiwanese are not unusually revolting. EFL and teaching attracts idiots, misfits, nutters and people on the make. You know that: you’re a pro. Keep your chin up and do your best, don’t pay any mind to the others.

Life is about the joy of the one in a hundred people who never stoop.

[quote=“chater”]In addition to the local supermarkets there is a supermarket with its roots in France. [/quote]That was probably the finest words that I’ve ever heard anyone anyone use to describe the largest chain of supermarkets in the whole world :slight_smile: On a more serious note it sounds like you’re living the life that I would like to live 40 years from now. My fiancée already has the inherited house part on lock. The big question is what Taiwan will be like 40 years from now…

Buttercup: Sure, I have a laundry list of complaints about working in Australia, though I do think people are more professional there, at least in most educational environments. There are other factors as to why I can’t, and won’t, live there. Money is a big one. The frightful children make for another.

Actually, far from any of my working experiences here being bad experiences, I’m actually glad I’ve had them. Much like how my father was almost driven to distraction and sought sanity and satisfaction in a job well done (and thus started his own business, which hasn’t been without its issues of course, but which has served him quite well), all of this has been character building for me. It’s been a foot in the backside for me.

I am an extremely cynical person, but I do manage to turn that into something positive and productive, or at least try to. It may seem like I complain a lot online, but that’s only just an outlet for a small part of what’s going on.

On the topic of the one in one hundred, I’d say I’m pretty lucky to have met an incredible woman here and a few really awesome, interesting friends.

Anyway, thanks for your words.

I understand … I am bored by, grossed out by and disappointed with 90% of people I meet, although I recognise it’s a fairly facile impulse. That’s a good thing, though. If I didn’t love the world/life, I just wouldn’t care if it was bad as long as I was OK.

‘If you tolerate this, then your children will be next’, to quote a shit song.

The supermarket is “Carrefour”. I never heard of it in the U.S. but my son who is an international business man was familiar with it. It is very poorly designed and the underground parking lot is a nightmare and there is NO direct access to the supermarket level. We usually limit our visits to once a month. (Just to pick up a few imported items that I miss and can’t find locally.)

Personally, I would advise newbies to try to get something going in Taipei for at least the first year. That way they would have access to many other English speaking folks. By the way, there is an organization called Gateway in Tien Mu which is sponsored by a church but is not “churchy”. (I attended the weekly meetings for about 4 years and never heard any religious “stuff”.) They have weekly meetings to introduce English speakers to the local scene and the wheres and hows of living here. I highly recommend it. The local bar scene is also a hangout for many foreigners.

Carrefour just opened last winter with the Luna Square Mall, I see no point of going there to buy groceries unless you have at least 2-3 hours. Just go to the Surewell supermarket instead, and the one by the train station is 24-hours I believe.

Oh yeah, extra earthquakes. Is that a pro or a con?

Well, I missed this thread, but if there is still someone who needs a help here it goes:

Yilan is by far a better place to live than Taipei (even considering I was living a stone throw away from 101).

For the pros:

• Lot less polluted, less crowded and more “civilized” than Taipei
  • Food is cheaper (great beef noodles around 70-80NT) and normally of better quality (if you have a car, a drive to Nan Fang Ao to buy fresh fish and eat it in the spot is a must)
  • Jiaoxi is very good for hot springs, and you also have the cold spring in Su-Ao plus the fantastic hot spring in Taiping Shan.
  • The people are nicer, although you might get the usual staring and unwanted English coming at you…
  • The Luna Mall added a bit more of convenience to shopping, or to go somewhere when it is pouring outside.
  • Easy to go to Taipei (buses run almost every 15 minutes or less)
  • Seaside is close by (great to go take pictures of sunrise with Turtle Island)

The Cons:

• It’s not Taipei, so don’t expect hundreds of foreigners here
  • Not so convenient for party goers (not much to do at night time)
  • It’s far from the airport
  • Only 2 Starbucks in the county (and about 10 minute walk one from the other, duhhhhh)
  • Availability of foreign ingredients is very limited (save it for the trips to Taipei)
  • Binlang girls are generally well dressed, old and not so good to look at…

So if you want to come over here, I suggest a few things:

• rent/share a nice house for not much
  • when possible, buy a cheap car to move around (I am against driving scooters because it is the most dangerous thing to do in Taiwan) - gas is still quite cheap
  • save the money you would spend on stupid party going and use it in something better
  • adopt/foster an animal

I have lived in Yi Lan for over a year now (not by choice) and have only run into one foreigner who speaks English, other than some Filippino caregivers. Can’t find a job. It is very lonely here. No foriegn community. If you can’t speak fluent Chinese of or Taiwanese, I don’t recommend it inspite of the clean air, mountain views and oceanside. I have tried and failed to meet any English speaking people here. The traffic here is a nightmare and parking places are frequently non-existant. Good luck to you. I was much happier living in Taipei in spite of the pollution.

Does anyone know any good Bed & Breakfasts, Motel/Hotels and guesthouses in Yilan?

Also, are there any specific for surfing or diving?