Living with Taiwanese family - cultural differences

I will be staying for 3 months with Taiwanese family, I’ve been wondering are there any customs or traditions I should be aware of ?
During my stay I dont want to offend them by doing something unacceptable or inappropriate.

I got copy of Lonely Planet’s Guide I’ve read everything about culture etc. but still I’m not sure about way I should behave in house.

I would be greafeful for some information

[quote=“spock”]I will be staying for 3 months with Taiwanese family, I’ve been wondering are there any customs or traditions I should be aware of ?
During my stay I don’t want to offend them by doing something unacceptable or inappropriate.

I got copy of Lonely Planet’s Guide I’ve read everything about culture etc. but still I’m not sure about way I should behave in house.

I would be greafeful for some information[/quote]

Depends on how traditional the family are, but it is more the case that you will think they are the inappropriate ones, especially at the table. In general try not to get drunk, loud and stupid and everything will be fine. Don’t take more food than you can finish, and finish what you take. Try little bits of things to start with and find what you like. But wait for the others to take food first, especially with the fruit. If they have a lazy suzy (spinning table) let them turn it round and just grab stuff as it passes. If they have a grandma or grandad in the house observe what they like, and if you do get brave and risk spinning the table round, leave it so that there is something the old person likes right in front of them. Generally shoes off in the house. If you go somewhere for a day out but a box of biscuits or something to take back for them. Maybe take a bottle of scotch from your home country for the father, and some sort of brooch or scarf for the mother. If you are boiling hot, let them see it on your face and they will adjust the air con etc. Don’t go in and start stabbing at the buttons, trouble lies that way. If they ask you if you want to play mah-jong my advice is to decline politely. They play for hours and it is really noisy and dull. They probably wont ask you though. If they start playing, expect not to see them for the rest of that day.

Generally do what you’d do when a guest at anyones house. Be polite, follow the family rules and keep your trap shut. :smiley: And most important of all: HAVE FUN. :smiley:

Don’t eat too fast as they will continue throwing food at you as soon your bowl is almost empty.
In Taiwan no is yes and yes is a little greedy.

Here I give you!
No thanks, no no no and really no! Then quickly change the topic.

They might know American culture though. This could get really confusing.

Don’t lose your cool. If you snap at someone in a moment of exasperation it could have more serious consequences than you might guess.

Is that speaking from experience?

Help out with what you can around the house. When you ask to help they’ll say “no, don’t worry.” Don’t take it too literally though–make sure you’ve always cleaned up after yourself basically, and if the opportunity to do something is staring you in the face do it. I guess that’s just common sense anywhere but the “no’s” you get to offers of help might fool you a little bit.

[quote=“spock”]

I would be greafeful for some information[/quote]

Perhaps Mucha man might lend his insight why after having read everything in the Lonely Planets guide, spock would be grateful for some information .

Come on Mick-la the LP isn’t a comprehensive guide on to how to deal with life in a Taiwanese home, it’s about what to see, where to eat and where to stay.

Are you paying to stay with your host family, Spock? If you are, then they should be used to people being all foreign, plus as a customer I wouldn’t worry too much about you offending them. If it’s a foreign exchange then I still wouldn’t worry too much. Follow the advice above, keep your winkle in your underpants when you walk round the house and everything should be fine. Chances are dad will be walking about in his vest most of the day if you are staying anywhere outside of central Taipei. :smiley:

Brace yourself for weeks of mind boggling dull conversations & lots of TV.
And yes you have to eat the stuff grandmother offers you with her chopsticks. :smiley:

Don’t sit next to any old people at mealtime. Because they WILL take mental notes of what items you’re avoiding, grab it with their saliva-soaked chopsticks, and plop it into your bowl.

Is that speaking from experience?[/quote]

Not with family (in laws) but I’ve made that mistake in other situations. With family, I’ve really tried hard not to repeat it.

Thank you guys it is very helpful, superking I’ will be on cultural exchange so I care about good impression :smiley:
I like the Idea of taking a bottle of (Polish) vodka as a gift
I dont drink alcohol, do you think it might be a problem ?

Its a great idea to bring a bottle, but I wouldn’t bring Vodka as it would collect dust. From my experience Whisky goes over best in Taiwan and you should have access to some nice bottles in Poland.

If you bring me a bottle of vodka, you can stay at my place for an evening of cultural exchange. I really don’t care if you take your shoes off or stick your chopsticks upright in your bowl of rice. Hell, you can even write on my head with a red pen and bring me white arum lilies!

ok :smiley: I will bring you one if you promise to take me for a trip to Toroko Gorge :smiley:

Don’t get loud when arguing (better, don’t argue) … it’s normal for them to get loud but if a foreigner gets loud they think you’re a wacko!

If don’t like something, don’t want to do something never say no, just nod and mumble something and let it go, they never will ask you you twice … it’s a way Taiwanese handle something that they don’t want to do, after a while it’s forgotten and no one will bring it up again …

Many times when they say yes it doesn’t mean they agree, they just let you know they understand the question.

Self-promotion moment: My second book, DOS AND DON’TS IN TAIWAN, might help:
myseveralworlds.com/2010/10/ … in-taiwan/

Take off your shoes before entering the house/apartment.

Yes im a stickler on that. I hate it when people come to my house and keep their shoes on ! Pisses me off. Also do NOT sit on my pillow. That pisses me off too.

In fact everything and anything you do (or dont do) could piss me off , this way we are covered on all bases :laughing:

Yes im a stickler on that. I hate it when people come to my house and keep their shoes on ! Pisses me off. Also do NOT sit on my pillow. That pisses me off too.

In fact everything and anything you do (or dont do) could piss me off , this way we are covered on all bases :laughing:[/quote]
How am I supposed to fart into your pillow if I don’t sit on it? Sheesh.