Living with Taiwanese

Hey - just a few questions …

Do any of you live with Taiwanese ?
Did you know the person before they moved in ?
Would/Do you trust them ?
How do you find it living together ?

And any oter comments would be welcomed !

Its a pain in the arse, living with Taiwanese, in my experience. They don’t even let you fart in bed!

Say what, let us all take turns dating your gf and we’ll let you know if she’s the right kind of girl.

Just kiddin’

But seriously, doesn’t have to be a Taiwanese to ram an icepick into your chest while you’re sleeping.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeepers: But seriously, doesn't have to be a Taiwanese to ram an icepick into your chest while you're sleeping.

Damn it Jeepers, admit it, you’re off your medication again, aren’t you!

Erm … so … Sandman - I wasnt talking about yer wife eh

And THAT’S NOT VERY HELPFULL !! Foookin eeejits

dbl post deleted

quote:
Originally posted by sandman:

…you’re off your medication again, aren’t you!

I’m taking over this asylum and now I get to decide if I’m going to take my medication or not!

quote[quote] [/quote] Do any of you live with Taiwanese ? Did you know the person before they moved in ? Would/Do you trust them ? How do you find it living together ?

1. yes
  2. yes
  3. she’s my girlfriend. of course i don’t trust her. She steals.
  4. Find our house? Excellent question. She drew me a map. I must tape it to my hand everytime I leave the house (she says so). It’s great. I never get lost coming home so I don’t have to sleep out of doors anymore.
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Green Thumb: Hey - just a few questions ...

Do any of you live with Taiwanese ?
Did you know the person before they moved in ?
Would/Do you trust them ?
How do you find it living together ?

1.Yes, but just one Taiwanese at present.
2. She only let me go on one date before we were engaged, so I knew her name.
3. Trust them to do what?
4. We decided living in separate bedrooms was better after ten years of marriage.

quote:
Originally posted by wwwright: 1.Yes, but just one Taiwanese at present. [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

This joke was mildly funny when Sandman first told it, and stale when Boots told it. Does it have to be repeated three times?

Are we talking about room sharing or living with a partner here?

Living with the locals? What a quaint idea!

If we are talking about sharing, my experience has been very mixed but one thing has stood out in all cases without exception. Taiwanese will never clean communal areas, these include the kitchen, bathroom, living room, stairs etc.

They will be very reliable in terms of money rent, bills etc.

Everybody will have their own house in their room in your house. It will not be like a communal house, if you are used to sharing with others at home. Most Taiwanese will live in their bedroom, have their own TV, maybe even fridge and small cooker.They’ll leave you be pretty much, but don’t have great expectations about developing life long friendships. It’s not really that they are being unfriendly, although they are. It’s not really that they are being rude, although they are.It’s not really that they don’t care, although they don’t. After a while you’ll just start feeling the same way and pretty soon everything will balance itself out and you’ll nolonger care nor notice that your being rude, uncaring, and cold, although you are!

Wow, Fox, just goes to show! My experiences are diametrically different to yours. I shared with a succession of house-proud home-keepers who kept the place sparkling, cooked family-type meals at the drop of a hat, and most certainly did not live in their rooms. One or two, certainly not many, started out like that, but they soon got into the way the house was run and either adapted or moved.

We had some good times.

I think Sandman is talking about living with a Taiwanese family, but Fox is talking about living with Taiwanese university students, which is a completely different situation. I once lived with Taiwanese university students (in Tainan), and I had exactly the same experience as Fox. The living room and kitchen were completely empty (not even a refrigerator or stove in the kitchen), and everyone completely ignored each other. No one even said “Hi” when they passed each other in the hallway. Everyone had a TV set in their bedrooms, which was always turned on all day long, and everyone also had electric tea kettles in their rooms to heat up the water for their instant noodles, which they ate for lunch and dinner every day. The only time anyone came out of their rooms was either to go to a class or to go out with their friends.

Wrong, Mark, I was living with recent graduates, mostly, just started in their first “real” jobs.

I guess I was just lucky.

Although, in my first year here I did indeed live with a Taiwanese family, which was a little TOO clean for comfort – the wife used to mop the floors at least twice a day, etc.

Yes Rascal - sharing an apartment …

quote:
[b]If we are talking about sharing, my experience has been very mixed but one thing has stood out in all cases without exception. Taiwanese will never clean communal areas, these include the kitchen, bathroom, living room, stairs etc. They will be very reliable in terms of money rent, bills etc.

Everybody will have their own house in their room in your house. It will not be like a communal house, if you are used to sharing with others at home. Most Taiwanese will live in their bedroom, have their own TV, maybe even fridge and small cooker.They’ll leave you be pretty much, but don’t have great expectations about developing life long friendships. It’s not really that they are being unfriendly, although they are. It’s not really that they are being rude, although they are.It’s not really that they don’t care, although they don’t. After a while you’ll just start feeling the same way and pretty soon everything will balance itself out and you’ll nolonger care nor notice that your being rude, uncaring, and cold, although you are![/b]

Thank you for your reply Fox - That was what I was looking for !! thumbsup

I am very much in two minds … but I also don’t see why I shouldn’t give this person a fair chance … I really am not sure about it

I’ve lived with a few Taiwanese (3 in total - all students or recent graduates) and have never had any problems with them tending to live in their rooms and ignore their flatmates.

The guy I live with now is quite the opposite, being more social than my ‘foreigner flatmates’.

On the other hand I have visited a few student flats here where everyone seemed rather roombound.

However, the most common complaint among foreigners who live with Taiwanese is that their flatmates see them as a 24hr free English teacher. If you are hoping to practice your Chinese with your flatmates then this problem might be something to consider.

Hey Dr Green, I take it from your post that you’re considering having a local move in with you/you move in with a local (on a platonic basis!). I have had the misfortune of having a Taiwanese girl move into an apartment I was sharing who eventually caused both myself and my other flatmate to move. Every bill was debated to the last, everything would have to be done her way or there’d be weeks of sulking and childish acts etc etc. I hope she was the exception to the rule. I actually met her previous western flatmates by accident in a bar and we only realised it was the same girl after we had done the usual stories about life in Taiwan. I will say give it a chance and it may work out, but if it’s a female with a four letter name…email me for more details, but don’t move in there!