Living with your girlfriends family

[color=#0040FF]Hi everyone, hope you guys are enjoying Taiwan as much as I am. :sunglasses:
Seeing that this is my first post on the forum since I joined, I thought I should make it count.[/color]
[color=#FF4080]Background:[/color]
[color=#0040FF]Iā€™m a European in my mid-twenties that just moved to Taiwan (7 months ago), to live with my girlfriendā€™s family while I learn Mandarin. :slight_smile:
Iā€™m from one of those cold countries in the north where you try to stay as far away from your own family that is physically possible (I moved out when I was 17). :eh:
I grew up on the countryside (my village had about 75 people in it). :astonished:
Keep this in mind as I get started on how it is to live in an ā€œaverageā€ Taiwanese family in Taipei County.[/color]
[color=#FF4080]First impression counts:[/color]
[color=#0040FF]My GF gave me two rules before I got here, ā€˜eat everything they put in front of youā€™ and ā€˜look happyā€™. These has been two of the best advice I have ever had, anyone can get accepted in any Taiwanese family by just following these 2. But there are still a few things to get used to besides these.[/color]
[color=#FF4080]Day to day matters:[/color]
[color=#0040FF]*While you are off to school or work your room will be cleaned and your laundry will be done for you, which is great just remember, do Not leave anything incriminating out in your room. You will have your own room, donā€™t even think about sharing one with your GF until after you get married in fact be happy if you even get to live in the same apartment. :s
*Food is served at regular times, make sure to make those times or you need to tell them in advance that you will miss one, my tip be hungry. :neutral:
*Grandma rules the house, (if she is the oldest one) she gets her way, always, not much point in trying to argue, youā€™ll just get in trouble for trying. :no-no:
*If you are unlucky enough to have kids in the house (I got 4 under the age of 3 here) buy earplugs and watch where you step. (This is where the separate rooms come in handy, have a couple of kids screaming in the apartment, and you no longer want to produce any yourself). :cry:
*Never ever again sleep in the buff [nude], everyone has access to all places in the house, without knocking, also there might be an earthquake in the future where you have to run out of the room fast (I have to admit I have still do not understand why I have to run out of my room incase of an earthquake???). :no-no:
*Great activities to do during the day while you are staying away from the apartment, coffee shops, (you can spend hours there drinking coffee and watching people walk pastā€¦), shopping, go to a bookstore find a book you like sit down on the floor and read the whole thing time will fly past, you donā€™t even need to buy it. (Just make sure that there are already people in the store doing thisā€¦)
*Driving, donā€™t do it. (No more needs to be said on this topic.) :ponder:
*Being a passenger, here is an interesting one; if you are in the back seat the driver will be offended if you put on the safety belt.[/color]

[color=#0040FF]That being said, living with her family is survivable if you have a favorite hideout (preferably one that serves beer) outside of the apartment.
If you have any tips for me feel free to post them here :smiley: [/color]

Sounds like your girlfriend gave you good advice. It just seems she forgot to mention the 8-month rule.

You see, after you have lived with them for 8 months, you are entitled to sleep with your girlfriend. Just be sure to tell everyone your intentions during one of the meals.

Lappy: So, I have now been here eight months! (Chomp chomp chomp)

Wang family: (watching TV, chew, chew chew)

Lappy: So, You know what THAT means! (Chomp chomp chomp)

Wang family: (watching TV, chew, chew chew)

Lappy: Iā€™ll be sleeping with Xiao-mei tonight! (Chomp Chomp Chomp)

Wang family: (still watching TV, chew chew chew)

Lappy: I hope we donā€™t make too much noise and wake the little ones! (Chomp Chomp Chomp)

Lappy: If anyone needs my earplugs tonight, just ask! (Chomp Chomp Chomp)

[color=#00BF40] :roflmao: Hmm, the respons sounds about right, do you know how to say it in Mandarin zander???
I forgot to mention the average family does not speak english. :slight_smile: [/color]

Itā€™s better if you just speak English. People here think Engrish is high classy.

Their response will be the same regardless.

Sign language.

Sounds like youā€™re having a good time time :smiley:
Iā€™m so glad that I found a GF that was willing to move out of her parentsā€¦
In fact, she used me as an excuse of sortsā€¦

Yeah, but she could be using her parents as an excuse for YOU now.

Next time she says sheā€™s going home to spend some time with Ma and Ba, just pretend like youā€™re going to tag along . . . If she suddenly changes her mind, beware!

Ah!

Iā€™m sure nothinā€™s goinā€™ on!

Try not to think about it.

Nice postā€¦brings back the memoriesā€¦

[color=#4080FF]Sign languageā€¦ hehehe

The lost swede, I am a bit envious of you right now, would be nice to move out, :whistle: and once Iā€™m married Iā€™m sure I will get to move outā€¦
Or at least I hope so.
At least the weather is good here.
Thank god for ā€˜My Other Placeā€™ where they never run out of beerā€¦[/color]

Post in blue and use lots of smileys. A sure way to get profound advice. And always use apostropheā€™s correctly in a thread title.

[quote=ā€œzenderā€]Yeah, but she could be using her parents as an excuse for YOU now.

Next time she says sheā€™s going home to spend some time with Ma and Ba, just pretend like youā€™re going to tag along . . . If she suddenly changes her mind, beware!

Ah!

Iā€™m sure nothinā€™s goinā€™ on!

Try not to think about it.[/quote]

Funnyā€¦
But the thing is, she would never use that excuse, as sheā€™d know that Iā€™d know that she was telling a porky. She isnā€™t exactly your average local lass and she ainā€™t non to keen on hanging out with her folksā€¦

Besides, sheā€™s got a hard enough time keeping up with me, so having something on the side would just be too much hard work for the poor girlā€¦ :wink:

[quote=ā€œLappyā€][color=#0040FF]Hi everyone, hope you guys are enjoying Taiwan as much as I am. :sunglasses:
Seeing that this is my first post on the forum since I joined, I thought I should make it count.[/color]
[color=#FF4080]Background:[/color]
[color=#0040FF]Iā€™m a European in my mid-twenties that just moved to Taiwan (7 months ago), to live with my girlfriendā€™s family while I learn Mandarin. :slight_smile:
Iā€™m from one of those cold countries in the north where you try to stay as far away from your own family that is physically possible (I moved out when I was 17). :eh:
I grew up on the countryside (my village had about 75 people in it). :astonished:
Keep this in mind as I get started on how it is to live in an ā€œaverageā€ Taiwanese family in Taipei County.[/color]
[color=#FF4080]First impression counts:[/color]
[color=#0040FF]My GF gave me two rules before I got here, ā€˜eat everything they put in front of youā€™ and ā€˜look happyā€™. These has been two of the best advice I have ever had, anyone can get accepted in any Taiwanese family by just following these 2. But there are still a few things to get used to besides these.[/color]
[color=#FF4080]Day to day matters:[/color]
[color=#0040FF]*While you are off to school or work your room will be cleaned and your laundry will be done for you, which is great just remember, do Not leave anything incriminating out in your room. You will have your own room, donā€™t even think about sharing one with your GF until after you get married in fact be happy if you even get to live in the same apartment. :s
*Food is served at regular times, make sure to make those times or you need to tell them in advance that you will miss one, my tip be hungry. :neutral:
*Grandma rules the house, (if she is the oldest one) she gets her way, always, not much point in trying to argue, youā€™ll just get in trouble for trying. :no-no:
*If you are unlucky enough to have kids in the house (I got 4 under the age of 3 here) buy earplugs and watch where you step. (This is where the separate rooms come in handy, have a couple of kids screaming in the apartment, and you no longer want to produce any yourself). :cry:
*Never ever again sleep in the buff [nude], everyone has access to all places in the house, without knocking, also there might be an earthquake in the future where you have to run out of the room fast (I have to admit I have still do not understand why I have to run out of my room incase of an earthquake???). :no-no:
*Great activities to do during the day while you are staying away from the apartment, coffee shops, (you can spend hours there drinking coffee and watching people walk pastā€¦), shopping, go to a bookstore find a book you like sit down on the floor and read the whole thing time will fly past, you donā€™t even need to buy it. (Just make sure that there are already people in the store doing thisā€¦)
*Driving, donā€™t do it. (No more needs to be said on this topic.) :ponder:
*Being a passenger, here is an interesting one; if you are in the back seat the driver will be offended if you put on the safety belt.[/color]

[color=#0040FF]That being said, living with her family is survivable if you have a favorite hideout (preferably one that serves beer) outside of the apartment.
If you have any tips for me feel free to post them here :smiley: [/color][/quote]

Donā€™t forget to send us å›č²¼ when its time; 'cause that what living with family, even in a separate room means.

Wow, you jumped in head first Lappy.

I only stayed the night over at my gf parentā€™s house one time. It was so good. (Insert sign language.)

Ask Grandma to explain why itā€™s really annoying to read a whole post in coloured text.
Then get one of them little kids to show you how to make all your text black.

Oh yes, itā€™s also a sign of filial respect if you leave the door open and carry on conversations with the family whilst pinching a loaf.
Thatā€™ll get you into Grandmaā€™s will lickety split.

I always do, life is meant to be lived, while you are second guessing your next step, you just missed the bus. :doh:
You sometimes get a black eye from running into things but in the long run it is definitely worth it. :smiley:

*All right Iā€™ll jump over to black text. :notworthy:

[quote=ā€œLappyā€]
*Driving, donā€™t do it. (No more needs to be said on this topic.) :ponder: [/quote]

Yes it does, pray tell why we shouldnā€™t drive.

I await your words of wisdom

[quote=ā€œStuartCaā€][quote=ā€œLappyā€]
*Driving, donā€™t do it. (No more needs to be said on this topic.) :ponder: [/quote]

I await your words of wisdom[/quote]

Knock it off, quit trying to pick a fight with the new guyā€¦

[quote][color=#800000]Oh yes, itā€™s also a sign of filial respect if you leave the door open and carry on conversations with the family whilst pinching a loaf.
Thatā€™ll get you into Grandmaā€™s will lickety split.
[/color][/quote]

I always applauded when I heard splashes.

[quote=ā€œthe chiefā€][quote=ā€œStuartCaā€][quote=ā€œLappyā€]

I await your words of wisdom[/quote]

Knock it off, quit trying to pick a fight with the new guyā€¦[/quote]

Oh ok then spoil sport :raspberry:

Wowā€¦ how intense.

I donā€™t like most of the Asian culture anyway, thatā€™s why I never dated an asian girl (I am Taiwanese by birth) and I live by my own culture.

Mate, you are hardcore, I am impressed.