Liza - Who gives a Shit

Maybe some celebrity obsessed American can explain something to me. Why do reputable newstations such as CNN cover every facet of Liza Minelli’s life. They are talking about her recent seperation from her husband David Gest or something. I thought she was a burn out from the 70s… Why do people still give a damn…I remember when she was announced the engagement in 2002 Larry King did an hour special on it…please somebody enlighten me…why all the hoopla for somebody who is not realy a tier-one star in my opinion.

Chewy

Why hasn’t you-know-who made a thread about this along of lines of “Is Liza Minelli is prostitute?” or some other troll ?

She’s celebrity royalty, Barbara Streisand’s best friend, Joan Jett’s buddy, a survivor, and daughter of Judy Garland (whose life she’s rescued many a time as a child when Garland took drug overdoses). Minelli’s also considered one of the best singing/dancing entertainers in the world, when she can keep off the drugs. Go rent Cabaret or the crappy airline-movie fodder Stepping Out (just for her show sequences). Not a lot of people can still dance and pull in Broadway audiences after two hip replacements, serious spinal surgery and nearly dying from encephalitis.

But alot of the news attraction seems to be her roller-coaster life, from smash hits like Cabaret and Arthur, to incredible bombs like Rent-a-Cop and that album she did with the Pet Shop Boys. Depending whether she’s been boozing it up for not, she’s an incredible entertainer, or she just sort of shuffles around the stage. The roller coaster continues as she married a guy who is supposedly gay (the guy had one of the world’s largest collections of Judy Garland memoralibilia, then he marries her daughter). She’s rumored to have stashed a lot of her expensive art at friends’ houses, just in case he tries to clean her out.

Her mother starred in the Wizard of Oz !!! How many people can claim to that???

[quote=“Hartzell”]Her mother starred in the Wizard of Oz !!! How many people can claim to that???[/quote]Lorna Luft, Liza’s sister. So that’s 2 so far, it’s not looking so special now, is it ?

Her mother starred in the Wizard of Oz !!! How many people can claim to that???[quote=“matthewh”]Lorna Luft, Liza’s sister. So that’s 2 so far, it’s not looking so special now, is it ?[/quote]

Two people is not special?? Even if the number is 15 or 20 . . . . . . compared to the world population of 4 billion, that is a very small percentage . . . . . . . plus the fact that that is a very famous movie. In its day, that movie was even more popular than MIB, or Bad Boys, or any of the Terminator movies. (In fact, I suspect that the story lines in these modern movies would not have appealed to the audiences in the 1930’s and 1940’s . . . . . . . although of course I don’t have any “hard statistical data” on that . . . . . . . )

Not to nitpick or anything, but the world population at the second this was posted was 6,353,749,683…not 4 billion. Okay, back to discussion…

:wink:

I thought her husband was gay…I bet he would have been the only man in the history of earth to idolate his mother-in-law. Why is everyone in Hollywood so bent on getting married? Do they have something to prove?

Richard, I would get a refund on that dictionary you bought, it seems to be missing the word ‘Sarcasm’ :smiley:

Here is some basic information for your SCRAPBOOK:

Liza Minelli was born on March 12, 1946, in Los Angeles, California. Minelli is the daughter of Judy Garland and film director Vincente Minelli.
At sixteen, Minelli set off on her own. She moved to New York, New York, and appeared in plays. In 1964, Minelli appeared with her mother, Judy Garland, at a sold-out show at the London Paladium.

Minelli won a Tony award at age nineteen. She was just 23 when she was nominated for her first Academy Award for the role of Pookie Adams in The Sterile Cuckoo.

In 1972 she won the Oscar for her performance as Sally Bowles in the movie Cabaret.

In 1985, Minelli won the Golden Globe for “Best Actress in a Television Movie or Miniseries” for her performance in A Time to Live.

Minelli is married to producer David Gest.

I consider this a good thing.

If CNN is devoting one hour to Liza, then the world (and by the world I mean the USA) must be doing pretty well. The economy must be better, less terrorist threats, easy onesided wars, etc.

The more celebrity gossip as news, the better your country is doing in things that effect your daily life.

Which leads me to why I think low voter turn out is a good thing …

Dear all,

Well I don