Local flights cancellations due to Icelandic volcano

In case anyone has questions about what happens to the engines, see here: msnbc.msn.com/id/36649628/ns … vironment/

[quote=“Icon”]In case anyone has questions about what happens to the engines, see here: msnbc.msn.com/id/36649628/ns … vironment/[/quote]Doesn’t look good, but I’m no engineer, those pictures don’t mean anything to me. How dense was that cloud to this one.

On a brighter side. KLM flights between Taipei and Amsterdam are on today. China Airlines and EVA are off, planes are probably in the wrong place.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“Icon”]In case anyone has questions about what happens to the engines, see here: msnbc.msn.com/id/36649628/ns … vironment/[/quote]Doesn’t look good, but I’m no engineer, those pictures don’t mean anything to me. How dense was that cloud to this one.

On a brighter side. KLM flights between Taipei and Amsterdam are on today. China Airlines and EVA are off, planes are probably in the wrong place.[/quote]
CAL’s resumed its Rome flights and EVA (far as I can remember) is waiting to see what this second cloud is doing before making an announcement.

etaiwannews.com/etn/news_con … ws_Society

CAL got thru to Rome, other cities hopefully soon. CAL just started its London service if I recall? And it was very nice to bus its London passengers all the way to london from the forced landing in frankfurt.

I guess their 9 crews and EVA’s 5 crews are having a ball in europe since they cant fly home yet?

If the big sister volcano blows, EVA may put its crews on its container ships to come home, along with CAL’s crews.

[quote=“tommy525”]http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_content.php?id=1233010&lang=eng_news&cate_img=49.jpg&cate_rss=news_Society

CAL got thru to Rome, other cities hopefully soon. CAL just started its London service if I recall? And it was very nice to bus its London passengers all the way to london from the forced landing in frankfurt.

I guess their 9 crews and EVA’s 5 crews are having a ball in europe since they cant fly home yet?

If the big sister volcano blows, EVA may put its crews on its container ships to come home, along with CAL’s crews.[/quote]

With the “generosity” in the per diem, I doubt the crews are having a ball…

So far, so good. EVA reactivated teh Paris flight, too:

[quote]長榮航空表示,今天由台北直飛巴黎的BR87班機、台北經曼谷往維也納的BR61班機及台北經曼谷往倫敦的BR67班機,都是定期航班,會準點起飛前往歐洲。

長榮、華航說,除了定期航班外,正在規劃、申請加班機,盼儘快將滯留歐洲的約2000名台籍旅客儘快接回台灣。
[/quote]
tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/ … 24a2r.html

From the evening paper, apparently there are 400 of those 2000 in Viena, and the plane can fit 760, so OK so far. CI sent A343 and Boing 747-400.

At least Heathrow seems open -knock on wood- so more people may be able to get home soon.

Yes, Heathrow and Gatwick are open, flights are gradually taking off.

Thank God.

Picture from Airliners.net showing what london could look like after the airport opens.

The first Taiwanese arrivals got here. They are exhausted but in pretty good shape. Had to pay through the nose, up to three time snormal transportation price to get to Rome airport.

The next flight was supposed to land this morning, but due to delays, it will land at one thirty pm.

And in other positive news:

[quote]Love has proved more powerful than a volcanic eruption as a central European couple have gotten married in Taiwan after being unable to return to Europe for their wedding that had been planned for April 24.

The 32-year-old Juraj Hegyi married Zuzana Marcekova, whom he has been in love with for 13 years, Tuesday at the Orchard Park Hotel in northern Taiwan's Taoyuan County. 

Hegyi, a physician from Slovakia, and Marcekova, 31, a radiology technician from the Czech Republic, were taking a trip through Asia and had planned to return home for their wedding in Slovakia on April 24.

They had visited Thailand, Singapore and Hong Kong before flying to Taiwan for a transit stop before heading on to Europe, but by that time, the ash drift spread by the volcano had already shut down air travel over the continent. 

Marcekova said they had to cancel the wedding they had planned for more than a year after learning their flight home would be postponed indefinitely. That realization sent Marcekova into tears, according to hotel staff. 

After learning of the couple's story, hotel founder and chairman Li San-lian decided to organize a wedding ceremony for them within a day. 

Dozens of hotel staffers and workers were summoned to assist the couple in purchasing wedding rings, arranging a ceremony and selecting a wedding gown. 

Family members of the couple watched the ceremony via video conference. Expressing his gratitude, Hegyi said the passion of the Taiwanese people and the hotel’s assistance saved them from feeling regret for the rest of their lives. "Life is full of surprises. Taiwan will be a memory that we will never forget, " he said.
[/quote]
From CNA
taiwantoday.tw/ct.asp?xItem=99963&ctNode=445

So sweet. :slight_smile:

Aww thats pretty sweet a story. Are they still stuck here ??

Millions are stuck. I hope this volcano dies down and the big bad sister volcano doesnt blow for another 200 years .

This made me giggle:

WoW what a pic !!

Meantime KLM and Ci both had an arrival from Amsterdam on the 22nd

Ci 's two A340 stuck in frankfurt both returned to TPE yesterday and Ci expects an arrival today from frankfurt

Ci Vienna flight due to arrive 22nd cancelled , now expected on 23rd
EVA expects an arrival from vienna on the 23rd as well

EVA had a flight from London arrive on 22nd and both Ci and EVa expect an arrival today from london.

Ci expects an arrival from Rome today while EVA expects one from Paris today. No flights from those places yesterday.

It’s baaaack!

Started with cancellations over Ireland, now Spain, France and Portugal -which were open last time.

My coworker is stuck somewhere in France.

Also problems with transatlantic flights - big delays as the have to reroute around it. I flew into Heathrow yesterday, and it was a bit of a mess.
I heard a lecture on Thursday from one of the Icelandic geophysicists in charge of watching this thing. He said that activity went way up on Wednesday - almost back up to the level at the start of the eruption, and that this sort of oscillation could go on for a long time. Interestingly, this is also quite a big eruption for this particular volcano - layers of ash from previous eruptions show that usually when it goes off it’s a much smaller eruption…