Local flooding in Kaoshiung - take care outside!

Some local flooding I saw outside in the car here a short while ago so be careful on the way home. If you can avoid travel outside today here in Kaoshiung do so. Local rain today is off the charts in KHH, 300mm+ as of 4pm and there is still downpour and its dark outside looking out my office window.

5 Likes

Given how much it’s been raining all day today outside my window, I’m surprised that Taipei only counts as green. It must be horrendous in Kaohsiung… :grimacing:

And horrendous in Taiwan means REALLY REALLY BAD, especially for folks in mountainous areas, where this degree of rainfall can lead to landslides and other awful outcomes… : (

Guy

2 Likes

The greyscale version has more “impending doom” feeling:

That moment when Kaohsiung is going underwater but the weather in Yilan is actually not too horrendous.

4 Likes

Ehem told you in the Taiwan Weather thread. This morning there were partial work/class cancellations. Usually the first rains spell disaster.

Everyone take care. Sidewalks are slippery, MRT entrances are slippery, getting off buses gets tricky if flooded… you can step in a deep puddle. And if driving, everyone starts speeding… In summary, be careful out there!

Yes, it seems like poor road conditions lead to even worse driving here.

It is. Stuck at school. I’m soaked through despite having a giant umbrella and supposedly water-proof shoes (they’re not).

Seems to be a break in the rain. Hope you get home in good condition

1 Like

Some people feel the rain; others just get wet.

1 Like

Some vivid images from Kaohsiung (and elsewhere in South Taiwan) in this report from Focus Taiwan:

Additional details about what might be coming appear in this story:

Guy

2 Likes

yes, your chart looks worse. Its still raining at this hour

1 Like

Much better and nice evening here, nice and cool. Much cooler than last weekend.

1 Like

Estimated cost of the torrential rain? For agricultural products, nearly NT$20 million. One reported death: a highway official died while on patrol in Taitung.

Guy

1 Like

Honestly I thought there’d be a lot more fatalities. Glad the worst is over.

1 Like