Local guys talking smack about you?

today my gf told me that some guy said 匚匚尺 fang fang che? to her when we walked past them. she said it means shes a girl that only likes foreigners or something like that? i didnt really probe on it, i thought it would be best to ask on here as to what it means, or is there other stuff they say.

as when i first heard laowai i thought it was offensive, but later learned it isnt. is this a similar kind of thing or is it actually offensive? and if it is, what is the best way to deal with it? ive been told i can get sued for flipping people off so…

[quote=“Lros”]today my gf told me that some guy said 匚匚尺 fang fang che? to her when we walked past them. she said it means shes a girl that only likes foreigners or something like that? i didnt really probe on it, i thought it would be best to ask on here as to what it means, or is there other stuff they say.

as when i first heard laowai i thought it was offensive, but later learned it isnt. is this a similar kind of thing or is it actually offensive? and if it is, what is the best way to deal with it? ive been told i can get sued for flipping people off so…[/quote]

I think it more likely he called her a public bus (gong gong qiche) i.e. everyone rides her. Honestly though, if you don’t understand what’s being said then its best you let it go. Its really not a good state of mind to be in if you’re walking around worrying what people are saying about you in a language you don’t speak.

well she didnt say it was that. she explained what was said. i just dont know if it was intended as offensive or not.

im not really paranoid about that sort of thing, my gf heard it and told me. i have heard enough to know the local guys have a bit of a hang up with foreign guys, i am not really bothered about that either way but i didn’t expect them to be taking it so far to be talking offensive things publicly about laowais or their gfs. i just want know if its offensive, is this a common occurrence and whats the best way to react. even if its just a good old stare down… im guessing that will do the job in these parts.

and damn dude, if someone called your gf a public bus you would just say nothing? would she be happy with that?

Consider that being confrontational is against the culture here. I think you might make her lose face by arguing with the guys. I’m not the expert so it’s possible I’m wrong.

Just imagine your way above stupid people making stupid comments…

What was the situation and what kind of guys?

For some perspective on this, try going up to a local couple and calling the woman a “public bus.” It’s going to be a bit of a crap shoot :slight_smile:

Some TW guys are very jealous of foreigners stealing their women. As if they could have the same women in the first place. Let it go, its just jealousy. Think of it as a compliment of your choice of a woman. They think shes hot, so they are jealous.

If i went around beating up everyone calling me a Tok pee ah, when i was growing up in Taiwan…

This reminds me of my first girlfriend in Taiwan and how she would purposefully walk close to gangs of tai-kes, hoping to goad them into shouting something offensive so that she could probe my reaction and get angry if it was anything short of ripping my shirt off and challenging 10+ guys to a fisticuffs.

That crazy bitch.

[quote=“Novaspes”]This reminds me of my first girlfriend in Taiwan and how she would purposefully walk close to gangs of tai-kes, hoping to goad them into shouting something offensive so that she could probe my reaction and get angry if it was anything short of ripping my shirt off and challenging 10+ guys to a fisticuffs.

That crazy bitch.[/quote]

Maybe she thinks you are Bruce Willis !

[quote=“Novaspes”]This reminds me of my first girlfriend in Taiwan and how she would purposefully walk close to gangs of tai-kes, hoping to goad them into shouting something offensive so that she could probe my reaction and get angry if it was anything short of ripping my shirt off and challenging 10+ guys to a fisticuffs.

That crazy bitch.[/quote]

A related thought occurred to me when reading the OP. I agree with Icon, but a lot depends on the level of understanding and trust in the relationship. I’m not sure what “fang fang che” means, but in my 20-plus years any related commentary has been extremely rare. The most extreme case that comes to mind was a couple of students outside the bakery on Shida Road one evening “一個夠嗎?” who were so clearly abashed by our morally surprised (and in my case understanding) miens that the conversation went no further. Now there are looks and staring here and there, but not many words at all. I’ll say though that I’m not tall, and dark-haired, and I have a theory that I’m therefore less susceptible to such things than taller, lighter-haired people.

The truth is once your Chinese gets a little better you will quite often over hear people saying things you find offensive. The best thing to do is develop a thick skin and ignore it. Half the problem is that Taiwanese men are very insecure with woman and they resent the ease with which foreigners can get girls, and the other half is just cultural differences.

If a white guy in North America insults another white guy who is walking with his girlfriend, he should at least expect some kind of reaction and possibly even expect to get into a fight over it if it’s offensive enough. We learn growing up that we should be responsible for what we say.

In Taiwan though it seems culturally acceptable to say very offensive things and not expect any type of reaction what so ever. In fact if you the insulted one actually do react aggressively, they will think YOU’RE the rude one.

In Taiwan a guy can call your girlfriend a public bus and then actually be surprised when the dude gets mad. :ponder: Go figure…

Once again, my thinking is that if your girlfriend picks up that sort of comment from people when she’s with you. You have yourself a HOTTIE ! Be proud ! Consider those comments as compliments to your good fortune.

Well, there is a difference between a “Oh man, look at DAT ASS!” which I can ignore thinking along your lines and a “Look at the slut who likes to ride foreign dicks!”, at which I would (and did) react.

True, but underneath they have noticed your girlfriend. And they care. Which means they think shes attractive. Otherwise they wouldn’t even have bothered to even “think” a thought about it.

They are jealous and thinking “how the flock did that guy get that girl and they did NOT”

I’d never heard this term before so I looked it up. (Thanks, Wiki!)

Apparently, and this is suuuuuuuper bizarre, the etymology comes from a board on the ubiquitous Taiwanese forum PTT, which is called CCRomance (I’m guessing the first two Cs are cross-cultural?) and focuses on relationships with foreigners. 匚匚尺 physically resembles the characters for CCR, so that’s where the term Fang fang chi (or Fang fang chi nv sheng) comes from. What a convoluted history.

brentgolf: good reply! yea, feels like a strange culture indeed.

seems like the best advice is saying to take the high road and ignore it. my gf told me after it happened and after they had buggered off anyway, so i would be pretty oblivious anyway. i also think they are saying it, because they think you dont understand. sure they would be surprised if a laowai understood what they were on about.

novaspes: how did you react?

hokwongwei: yea, thats pretty much how she explained it to me… weird thing to say!

I kind of like living in a place where most of the locals assume that my cock is huge and use that assumption to explain why my girlfriend is pretty and they can’t get dates.

Edit: Oh, and my girlfriend and I are on PTT a lot. She explained it to me ages ago. PTT is like DOS-era 4chan.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]I’d never heard this term before so I looked it up. (Thanks, Wiki!)

Apparently, and this is suuuuuuuper bizarre, the etymology comes from a board on the ubiquitous Taiwanese forum PTT, which is called CCRomance (I’m guessing the first two Cs are cross-cultural?) and focuses on relationships with foreigners. 匚匚尺 physically resembles the characters for CCR, so that’s where the term Fang fang chi (or Fang fang chi nv sheng) comes from. What a convoluted history.[/quote]

Goo work bro’. I’ve come across CCR on facebook recently. Thought the locals were getting into a bit of Creedence Clearwater Revival at first.

As such CCR isn’t offensive; just a statement of fact.

I recommend launching into an a capella version of Suzie Q next time. That’ll really confuse em.

I almost laugh when I hear how Taiwanese are so friendly to foreigners, even though there’s a lot of truth to that statement. If I had 1000 NT for every time an old person said “Die Westerner” I’d be on vacation right now. I’ve been the target of shit talk multiple times here, some of it more benign than others. Been called fat, hairy, or stupid, or some combination of those terms, several times. I was walking down the street with a girl a few years ago when a stranger yelled that she was a piece of trash and must have brought shame to her family. I didn’t understand it at the time. I’ve heard people talk about how much they hate dirty foreigners like me, not to mention the less-than-positive chats about English teachers that start up around me. People have given me shit-faced stares often enough. A few months ago a guy with a group of friends watched me and my gf leaving a store, he said if his daughter ever got with a foreigner that he’d kill her. I don’t understand much Taiwanese, so I only found out about it when she told me later. I told her to either tell me about it when it happens or don’t tell me at all. Crap like that really pisses me off. I still tolerate the minor slights here and there that I run into on occasion, but I don’t put up with unprovoked shit talk like I did before. Cultural differences or not, if it’s enough to piss off another local they should know better and expect a response

Are you dating my wife? :ohreally: