Local laptop with English keyboard/OS?

Ahhh, ok. That makes sense. This happened to me on windows 7 a few times. It is my wife laptop and was indeed setup mandarin first then switched.

Out of curiosity. If one reset the computer and set english from the beginning (windows 7) would this issue persist?

If they give you a choice at the beginning. Not likely, but Windows 7 does not have a robust system for changing languages and youā€™re talking about 10+ year old PCs now.

1 Like

Make sure your bios is set to English.
Modern biosā€™ do support Chinese.

And what difference would that make to the OS?

Nothing, except you want to do changes and discover it when you canā€™t deal with it.
After/during purchase take the time and change the settings to English.

2 Likes

Aaaah I see, great hint!

I thought this was finished, so I stopped paying attention.

@Explant: You make some good points. Too bad no one seems to be pondering them.

@Marco: Touchy much? Yikes. Having experience (like we all do) and being omniscient are not the same.

That just above is what Iā€™ve been talking about since the beginning of this thread. And only that. I should know. Iā€™m the OP. :wink:

Kido

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

What are you talking about?

When you buy a new laptop, you will have an opportunity to set the language without any remnants of Chinese because you will be before the setup process.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s exactly the same. I buy my computers in Taiwan and see no difference besides the keyboard having zhuyin on it. You can ask them to set your OS to run on American english, assuming you are American. And it will run like you got it in the US.

Or just download the ISO directly from MS and do a clean install with your key. You can find your key in the Windows settings if you canā€™t find it in the documentation. Worst case you walk around the used shops and take a pic of the license sticker on the side of an old Windows 7 or later PC. Usually that key will work still.

Key is built into the UEFI. No need to locate it. When you reinstall, it will automatically detect it.

2 Likes

People that need an ā€˜AZERTYā€™ keyboard are screwed.

1 Like

Once you Drovak, you never go back

1 Like

Dvorak* :grin:

2 Likes

I need a Swiss QWERTZ keyboard. That should be the standard worldwide.

My two cents:

Bought an MSI Laptop at Nova in Taichung around one year ago.

When I started it for the first time, Windows asked me to select a language and location. I choose German and Taiwan respectively.

Aside from the different Keyboard layout compared to a German one (Most notable here are the switched Z and Y keys and the mapping of the Ƅ, Ɩ and Ɯ keys), I didnā€™t encounter any rogue Chinese in the OS aside from the pre-installed bloatware.

My wife bought a laptop a few weeks later and choose Chinese as language and changed that to German later. She still has the remnants of Chinese in the bowels of the OS that were mentioned in the posts above.

2 Likes

My laptop is Asus. The keyboards are in English. It has some Chinese characteres on the top of each letter. I works very well.