Locals on average drink 200 cups of coffee per year from new report

Excuse me? How many countries have higher purchasing power in Asia? Excluding oil states only Singapore and Hong Kong have a higher GDP PPP per capita than Taiwan in Asia, and Hong Kong only barely.

1 Like

I simply don’t believe the PPP adjustment. The idea that you can average all prices into one ratio is just a nonsense.

Except coffee is a lot cheaper in Taiwan. Unless you choose not to believe it then I can’t help you.

Besides even nominally it is still one of the highest. There are almost 50 countries in Asia, and countries with a higher income than Taiwan can be counted in one hand. :roll:

It is not the first time people have incredibly warped view on cost of things in other countries though. It is always comical to see the ill-informed insisting that everything is more expensive in Taiwan because they went to a supermarket and bought an overpriced batch of spinach once.

3 Likes

I can suddenly sense this turning into another “Taiwan is the best place on earth” thread…

1 Like

It was a ridiculously priced bunch of spinach.

I wasn’t referring to your word choice. I was referring your belief that enough of the coffee consumption in this country (or anywhere) comes from people hanging out in coffee shops for it to “drop noticeably” if that were to change. I just don’t think that’s how the average person consumes their coffee.

I do my part. I’m sure I hit 200 cups in two to three months.

When we are dealing with variable organic materials, price will vary according to quality. It’s like the mango example we discussed earlier in another thread. With coffee, there is cheap stuff and extremely pricey stuff too. And based on what’s happening globally with coffee markets, prices unfortunately will almost certainly rise.

Guy

That is less than one a day.

Not high compared the numbers up north in Korea on the report, but still a bit surprised me on first thought, but with coffee sales at Family Mart ect I guess so!. It nice that it seems to be getting better standards.

Takeaway coffee, globally, has also turned into a statement of personal worth. “I can afford to pay someone else to make me this drink.”
I remember back before everyone walked about with coffee in their hands, I was in Seattle (circa 1997) and people had cups of coffee in seal tight mugs on the bus and I thought that looked as sophisticated as all hell. Fast forward 24 years and we have turned that idea into the earth polluting hell that takeaway coffee has become.

6 Likes

I drink 2 liter of coffee a day. But the caffeine content is significantly less than what 2 liter from a store would be since I make my coffee weak.

1 Like

I drink at least 3 cups a day up to 5 or more.

So I’m easily over 1000 cups of coffee a year.

Lot’s/most of them used to be from Starbucks. Then I dropped sugary drinks, so went to black coffee from 711 that tastes better. And home and office.

1 Like

1 Like

Starbucks is expensive rubbish, I also would rather drink 7/11.

I’m a 3-5 day, 1-2 bought out at Cama Coffee my favourite.

1 Like

Twice a day at Cama! The workers at your local branch must love you.

Guy

What kind of coffee drinker only drinks 200 cups per year? How do they function on those days where they don’t drink coffee?

1 Like

Coffee haters cancel out coffee drinkers.

1 Like

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: KFC’s Taiwanese menu?

Ha! Exactly. That’s why 200 doesn’t seem high to me at all. It actually indicates that a pretty high percentage of people don’t drink coffee at all when you consider how high the average number must be among those who do.

1 Like