Locks on roof doors illegal?

Does anyone know if it is illegal to lock doors to the roof of buildings?

Thieves got into my place that way, and I put a lock there. I gave the landlord the key, and I have one too. One neighbor told me the roof is a public place. I told him he could get the key from the landlord and hang out up there all he wants. He did not mention a law, but I am just wondering if such a thing exists.

If there is indeed a law, I will take the lock off.

[quote=“tomtom taiwan”]Does anyone know if it is illegal to lock doors to the roof of buildings? Thieves got into my place that way, and I put a lock there. I gave the landlord the key, and I have one too. One neighbor told me the roof is a public place. I told him he could get the key from the landlord and hang out up there all he wants. He did not mention a law, but I am just wondering if such a thing exists.

If there is indeed a law, I will take the lock off.[/quote]

There is. The rooftop is public access space so that in case of fire residents have some place to be rescued from, and for your friendly sat installer to mount dishes on. Thieves can also walk up the stairwells… I assume they came up the stairs to your place, and not from the rooftop down.

Penalties for people refusing to take down their metal gates and locks have been fines and or 3 months or longer jail time.

:fume: Grrrrrrrrr.

I guess I will have to take it down. There goes my safety…

Do you live on the rooftop, or did they climb down and get in from the balcony?

You could ask the landlord to install a big metal door (tiemen) or put bars over the windows.

Brian