Loctite Alternative

Having trouble locating Loctite 242 here.

Any advice on that or a substitute? I believe there’s a Yamabond blue threadlock with similar properties.

[quote=“Ducked”]Having trouble locating Loctite 242 here.

Any advice on that or a substitute? I believe there’s a Yamabond blue threadlock with similar properties.[/quote]
Had the same issue with the Rallycar. We have a “mild” Loctite" that is red in colour…more like a fluid,and can get stronger stuff. Can’t remember if you are in Taichung? if so you are welcome to have some of ours.

superglue? that’s basically what Loctite is.

I suspect that kind of kludge is right up Ducked’s alley.

[quote=“shiadoa”][quote=“Ducked”]Having trouble locating Loctite 242 here.

Any advice on that or a substitute? I believe there’s a Yamabond blue threadlock with similar properties.[/quote]
Had the same issue with the Rallycar. We have a “mild” Loctite" that is red in colour…more like a fluid,and can get stronger stuff. Can’t remember if you are in Taichung? if so you are welcome to have some of ours.[/quote]

THANKS. I’m in Tainan. I’m going over to Kaoshiung this pm for a hunt about, but if I draw a blank I might take you up on that. Where’d you get it?

[quote=“urodacus”]superglue? that’s basically what Loctite is.

I suspect that kind of kludge is right up Ducked’s alley.[/quote]

Yeh, I wondered about that. Normally you’d be right, but oil pumps do make me a bit more nervous than usual.

Probably not too serious if its too weak, since its belt and braces anyway, but if its too strong I’d never get it off again, which would be annoying.

If I can’t get the “right stuff”, I’ll use the CARPLAN stuff (which may not stand the temperature/oil immersion), or I just won’t use anything

Please remind me on Monday, but I just bought some nut lock adhesive the other day for a Scoob’s modded suspension which bolts kept coming loose. I had to order it and it took a couple of days, but at a pinch I can get some for you if you can’t find a supplier yourself.
I ordered mine through my local tool store which also stocks plenty of paints, cleaners and other liquids. They hadn’t heard of this type of stuff but they were diligent enough to help me locate and order just one small bottle.

Thanks. Didn’t make it to Kaoshiung (GF hurt her neck) and now have teachy tosh to do, so it’ll probably be “on hold” (ie in bits/up on axle stands) until after the exams.

GF’s found some. (Loctite 243, apparently “new, improved” replacement for 242).

Unfortunately, seems I can only get a 50ml bottle (for about 500NT), which will last me until the heat death of the universe.

If it didn’t have a 1 year shelf life. :doh:

Maybe 2 years. if I keep it in the fridge. Anyone wants some, let me know and I can decant and post, (after I open the bottle.)

I’ve seen it suggested that, once opened, this stuff should be left open for storage, because it cures anaerobically?

Kind of makes sense, (though it seems to imply that the bottle is topped-off with pure oxygen at the factory, which I don’t know for a fact) but I’m not sure I can bring myself to do it.

I’m sure it will be ok with the lid on, so long as you don’t suck all the air out first!
We used a lot of that stuff at one of my previous jobs, and didn’t worry about the ‘use by’ date. I think it will last a few years.

Thanks.

I’m wondering if it’d be worth keeping the bottle in a sealed container with something like hydrogen peroxide (which’d release oxygen) in it?

It’d probably release other stuff as well though (notably water vapour) so the effect might not be as expected.

I have stuff (both Loctite and the stronger Locstud) that’s at least ten years old and it still works. Just use a bit more than normal to be sure.

Thanks. Reassuring.

Might still try some with peroxide though, as a 'spermemt.