Logic Puzzles

I am a huge fan of logic puzzles. I hope to share some with you all. I guess I will post the answers later in white so you can highlight them without giving the solution away to everyone.

Here’s the first one. Enjoy!

[quote=“Logic Puzzle #1”]The Puzzle
Five girls, all big baseball fans, met on opening day at the ball park. Once there, each discovered that all the other girls had the same idea she did. All had brought a baseball card of their favorite player or players in hopes of getting autographs (two girls had two favorite players). In addition, each girl

the Princess is in Room 1, isn’t she?

the method I used to solve this problem was rather cumbersome. I exhausted almost every other possibility before reaching this conclusion. Could you please post the standard answer now?

I know very little about baseball, therefore I didn’t try the 1st puzzle. Do you have other interesting puzzles to share?

I’d fun working it out, thanks for posting it! :slight_smile:

Actually the site that I borrowed this from didn’t have the answer to the tiger puzzle.

Perhaps you know the books of Raymond Smullyan. Wonderful, wonderful puzzles. It’s an absolute crime that most of them are out of print.

yes, I do! I’ve one book called “The Riddle of Scheherazade” by Raymond Smullyan. :-). and I’m still working on the puzzles on the last section of the book. Have u read many of his books? could u recommend me one of his other books?

btw, shall I post my solution to the tiger puzzle? or do u still want other people to have a go at it?

Here’s something weird: His Web site is in Chinese. :shock:
smullyan.uhome.net/

What Is the Name of This Book? is the first title I picked up by him. The puzzles in that one are generally easier than those in his later works – though even so they are hardly all easy. I’ve also worked through Chess mysteries of the Arabian knights, some of which is damn hard. I have a copy of Riddle of Scheherazade, but it’s back in the States.

Here are some of his books. Most are about puzzles, but others are on math, logic, and philosophy. Many here might know the book The Tao Is Silent.

[ul][li]5000 B.C. and other philosophical fantasies – 1983[/li]
[li]Alice in puzzle-land : a Carrollian tale for children under eighty – 1982[/li]
[li]Chess mysteries of Sherlock Holmes – 1979[/li]
[li]Chess mysteries of the Arabian knights – 1981[/li]
[li]Forever undecided : a puzzle guide to Godel – 1987[/li]
[li]Godel’s incompleteness theorems – 1992[/li]
[li]Lady or the tiger? : and other logic puzzles, including a mathematical novel that features Godel’s great discovery – 1982[/li]
[li]Recursion theory for metamathematics – 1993[/li]
[li]Riddle of Scheherazade, and other amazing puzzles, ancient & modern – 1997 [/li]
[li]Satan, Cantor, and infinity : and other mind-boggling puzzles – 1992[/li]
[li]Tao is silent – 1992[/li]
[li]This book needs no title : a budget of living paradoxes – 1980[/li]
[li]To mock a mocking bird and other logic puzzles : including an amazing adventure in combinatory logic – 1985[/li]
[li]What is the name of this book? : The riddle of Dracula and other logical puzzles – 1978[/li]
[li]Who knows? : a study of religious consciousness – 2003[/li][/ul]

Some online logic mazes (you have to use logic to puzzle your way through) and interesting interactive puzzles:

clickmazes.com/index.htm

logicmazes.com/

This game is cool. You really need to use your visio-spatial logic skills for Repton, a popular game from the 80s (!).
You have to dig your way along moving boulders in the correct way to retrieve diamonds. Each of the 8 levels gets progressively harder.

You also need to download a zipped file. It’s easy to save on your pc. I saved it in Program files and opened it from there - piece of cake.

At the link below, scroll right to the bottom of the page and click on the link which reads, “Download Tommy’s Christmas Repton here”.
chessbase.com/puzzle/christm … r03-8a.htm

If you do play this game, let me know what you think of it.

Here’s a fun little puzzle. A little challenging, but not too challenging.

3 x = 30
2 y + x = 20
2 z + y = 13

x = 10
y = 5
z = 4

1/2 x + (x + y + z) + 1/2 z = 5 + 19 + 2 = 26

1/2 x + (x + y + z) * 1/2 z = 5 + 19 * 2 = 43

2 Likes

Interesting, but not the correct answer. :sunglasses:

missed the multiplication

Still not correct.

lol now

2 Likes

That’s it!

2 Likes

I was like enhance enhance on that dudes hands in last equation. But I figured it must have been those things. Looks like pistols on first look.

That’s a scale, and it is balanced in the first three images. How many owls balance one cat?

1 Like

ch = c + o
2ch = 3t
o + t = c
ch = 2o + t
3t = 4o + 2t
t = 4o
5o = c
5 owls for one cat

2 Likes

Correct. Here’s an elegant no-math solution.

1 Like

Cool. I would argue he was still doing math, though he avoided writing it down.