Londoners, miss the Tube?

You won’t after this!

NSFW OR CHILDREN

By the way, What’s an oyster card? Guess it must be the expensive equivalent of the Easy Card.

L :smiley:

How the hell can you miss the tube? They’re always late.

If it wasn’t so pathetically true, the song would be funny.

The Oyster card is as you say: an expensive waste of money.

I’m not from London (I’ll just make sure everybody knows that).

I got on the Tube after a year travelling in Oz. Wow, that was a shock. Disgusting…and I’m a Londoner! Wonder what it’ll be like when I get a chance to ride it again? Miss it, nah mate!

www.oystercard.com

My favorites always were the service interruptions “due to leaves on the tracks” … hilarious! Granted, rather inconvenient too … :idunno:

And if you need to protect yourself while on the Tube…

kontraband.com/show/show.asp … ain-topten

Believe it or not, it is a real problem. My Dad is a train buff, he can tell you many interesting stories about the Tube and how it came about…should you ever wish to know! :loco: The leaves leave a sticky residue on the tracks, which means the wheels (I’m sure there’s a more technical word) have no traction. They have to send out a special machine to clear the gloop away!

There you go, your day’s quota of useless information.

I know, but it still sounds silly, you have to agree! A few leaves on some tube tracks and a city of 7-or-so million stands still, well, almost … I had always heard that the wet leaves cover the middle rail which serves as one of the electricity contacts for the trains, but I guess your daddy would know better, tube spotter that he is … :wink: I mostly bicycled into town anyway for lack of travel funds … :s

I heard that a very small current runs through all train tracks and that is how signallers can tell where a train is on a track (the wheels connect the gap between the tracks). The fallen leaves then stop the wheels from effectively contacting the track I can understand this for normal railways,
BUT HOW THE HELL DO THEY GROW TREES IN THE UNDERGROUND SYSTEM?

Actually, there is a very rare solanaceous bush-like tree that grows in the London Underground tunnel system, Lycium Methysticodendron Londonarius, or “Tubush” as it’s affectionately referred to by Londoners. It has a very dense, small-leaved yet thick foliage that contains high amounts of sap, hence the tenacious mash when pulpified by the passing trains … :wink:

… interesting, I didn’t capitalize “bush-like” in my post, just went back to edit, but there it was with a small “b”, yet when I submit the post it comes out capitalized, is the auto-corrector assuming I’m talking about G.W.?

yes.
yes.
yes.

Hounslow west, east or central?

[quote=“TomHill”]yes.
yes.
yes.

Hounslow west, east or central?[/quote]

Acton, where I ended up living for a few years, has three Underground stations and a BR… :loco: It’s not exactly a huge place.

Known locally as ACTION town. And why, come to that, does the tube at Action town wait for almost five minutes before the doors close again? It’s like Actonians are special or something…

They’re waiting for the extra passengers who decided not to take the number 207.

http://www.actonw3.com/default.asp?section=info&link=http://nnet-server.com/server/common/conbus02.htm

I’m not from London, but I love that city.
Passed thru last August for the first time in many years, and yes, the London tube is an antique clunker compared to Taipei, but London wouldn’t be London without those really huge escalators and all the tunnels you have to walk through before you find out you’re on the wrong platform!

And my favorite station name? Cockfosters!

I s’pose then you should enjoy this tube-map rendering entitled “rude map” … :wink:

:laughing: Looks like my local station is “North Anal”…shame I won’t be going there for a while :wink: