Lonely Planet's Great bars of the world!

[quote]Pig Pen [/quote] Never a more aptly named club. Good fun after a bit too many drinks at la boca. When your kids get older, you can leave them home. God bless extended families.

[quote=“TomHill”][quote=“Baas Babelaas”][quote]Bars have periods of good atmosphere that come and go based on owners, friendliness of the ex-pats when hammered, locals willing to give it a go, not too much grief from the local heavies etc. In Taichung back when I lived there the (old) Londoner used to be a pretty good place to go. You could spill out onto the park for a doob, lots of locals, outdoor pool table, plenty of themed nights. It was a shame that bastard wanted to turn it in into a flight of stairs! Fricker. FM was also regularly heaving but it wasn’t my cup of tea. And of course there were the creature clubs like Bobo! Always being shut down by the cops, only to spring back to life for a few glorious days before being shut back down again.
I dunno where the chungle kids get their kicks these days.[/quote]

Them were the days, weren’t they. I started out at FM, but it was a bit poncy for me. Bit too 'merican. The Londoner was more comfortable for the Commonwealth folk.

Then there was The Dive, by the canal. Upstairs and downstairs section. Downstairs lasted till Sunday 6pm. Regular raids on the bar while the owner was K-ed out.

Pig Pen and Lion King should get a mention, had a bit of fun there, saw some beatings, got stripped by a Tainu.

Don’t forget the Sound Garden…[/quote]

We definitely had a good time. They were long nights till dawn pretty much every time. It isn’t like that here where everyone is married and/ or has kids.[/quote]

Bro, it ain’t like that much of anywhere except here.
And even not that much, anymore.

I’ve never heard of Jump either but seeing their website photos just now dishonored my eyes. Maybe a top alternative night spot but any unsuspecting traveller would be in for a shock. I’ll never trust Lonely Planet’s info again.

Again, most of the posters here are referring to another book NOT the free new booklet available today at the airport and at many hotels and restaurants. This Free Lonely Planet Guide is published in conjunction with Singha Beer.
The information on the London and UK bars is accurate.

I repeat there is only 1 Taipei pub featured and I have not named it! You are all guessing.

Only @ 100 bars in the booklet and they are not ranked.

I predict WolvesMon will tell us the name of the bar this month while interest is still high.

:fedora:

They listed three here.

[quote=“WolvesMon”]Again, most of the posters here are referring to another book NOT the free new booklet available today at the airport and at many hotels and restaurants. This Free Lonely Planet Guide is published in conjunction with Singha Beer.
The information on the London and UK bars is accurate.

I repeat there is only 1 Taipei pub featured and I have not named it! You are all guessing.

Only @ 100 bars in the booklet and they are not ranked.[/quote]

Course we’re fuckin’ guessing because for some perverse reason you won’t tell us the name.

Now be a dear and tell us or we’ll relegate you to the Championship.

So whats the fuckin name of the place?

Not that I really care. When I am forced to go to Taipiss I’m on the HSR as soon as is humanly possible back to sanity in Tainan.

Could one of the Mods move this to the “games” section?

More specifically the “guessing games as the chief might run them” section.

It’s probably loathsome Ziga-Zaga.

Its one of those Flip bars in the Combat Zone. Yes. Indeed there are still a tiny handful of people who still go up there. Their numbers were decimated, though – probably halved – when roach upped sticks for sunnier climes.
In reality, of course, there’s nowhere in the zone that even makes the top 10 for bars in Taipei, let alone the world.
This is an undisputable fact.

What are the odds that Singha is served in every one of Singha/Lonely Planet’s Top 100 Bars of the World?

That guide is tragic. I looked up a few of the cities I’ve been to in the past couple of years. All were just ridiculous tourist bars, or ‘uber-cool’ (not my words) in that they’d be cool if you were a 17 year old girl interested in meeting ex-soap stars.

It’s been a Lonely Planet weakness in the couple that I’ve read - nightlife. But then, my age group and traveller profile is not their target market, I guess.

[quote=“sandman”]Its one of those Flip bars in the Combat Zone. Yes. Indeed there are still a tiny handful of people who still go up there. Their numbers were decimated, though – probably halved – when roach upped sticks for sunnier climes.
In reality, of course, there’s nowhere in the zone that even makes the top 10 for bars in Taipei, let alone the world.
This is an undisputable fact.[/quote]

I’m surprised there’s even a single bar left there. They should have been converted to old folks homes by now.

The pub is Malibu West
60 punters in every friday night at 6 can’t be wrong. Not a pro of any age in sight.
The craic is good despite yow naysayers!

[quote=“WolvesMon”]The pub is Malibu West
60 punters in every friday night at 6 can’t be wrong. Not a pro of any age in sight.
The craic is good despite yow naysayers![/quote]
GAWD in heaven! To each his own, I suppose. :laughing:
Thinking of, say, just Edinburgh, Prague, Monaco and Dublin alone, though, I can think of at LEAST 50 bars with which the … erm … venerable Malibu West does not really compete. At all. :laughing:
I suppose at a real stretch of the imagination one could possibly put Malibu West as one of the best bars in northern/central Taipei City. At best. Faint praise indeed!

Its pine paneling and wooden tables, plus a veranda that gives it a beach-bar feel, make Malibu West the perfect environment to relax, drink and chat.

beach-bar?

The perfect environment?

[quote=“elektronisk”]Its pine paneling and wooden tables, plus a veranda that gives it a beach-bar feel, make Malibu West the perfect environment to relax, drink and chat.

You know the “writer” hasn’t been there.[/quote]
No. I went to a “beach bar” once. In Grangemouth. Malibu West is definitely better.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“elektronisk”]Its pine paneling and wooden tables, plus a veranda that gives it a beach-bar feel, make Malibu West the perfect environment to relax, drink and chat.

You know the “writer” hasn’t been there.[/quote]
No. I went to a “beach bar” once. In Grangemouth. Malibu West is definitely better.[/quote]

ha ha you caught me while I was editing my post. :notworthy:

You know I just checked the current LP Taiwan and the wording is pretty different. It’s hardly a ringing endorsement (no use of the word perfect), no mention of the beach-bar atmosphere (tropical is used) and mentions clearly that the place is popular with businessmen and airline pilots.

Actually I just looked back through the past 3 editions and those words cannot be found. Hmm.