Long Distance Relationship

Hi there,

Me and my Taiwanese girlfriend are “together” for 3 years now, I have lived and traveled in Taipei for a year or so and she visited me 3 times over the years.

Due to covid-19 we haven’t met for over a year now (been doing a long distance relationship).

When I was in Taipei I couldn’t find a job because I’m not from an English speaking country, and I don’t have a working visa…

I am trying to find a possible way for the two of us to be together in the same country.
I would like to hear your opinions.

study chinese?

2 Likes

Do your Taiwanese GF want to move? Or are you asking how you can stay together in Taiwan?

Maybe you can find a job if you speak Chinese?

It’s a possibility for her to relocate, it will just take her a long time to get a job, and I thought I can financially support her if she decided to move to my country. But during the corona I got laid off from a really good job.

So it’s kinda in the gray area.
I’m also doing self study of Chinese for the past year, so I can speak a little and understand the language.

What is your country if this is not a secret? Would kind of help to know

4 Likes

Sure, I’m located in Israel

1 Like

I’m in nearly the exact same situation. I received the Huayu scholarship to study mandarin but because the government won’t issue the scholarship this year, I’ve had to find an alternative.

Check to see if you fulfill the requirements for the job-seeking visa, it’s the one I’m currently applying for:

One of my best friends is Israeli. It’s a shame you can’t teach English (at least as easily as others), because from my experience it seems most Israelis are raised with English as a second language to Hebrew and can speak it quite fluently… many even at native levels.

Some buxibans might make an exception as I believe they are some Filipino and non-UK European ESL teachers here, but I’m not sure…

3 Likes

Thanks for all the replies

He can’t come in on a tourist visa first to try and find a job.
He should be ooking for a student visa I guess.

1 Like

But how is the guy going to support himself with no income as a student?

1 Like

He might be able to get the Employment seeking visa @mortauxmoi is talking about.

He might need to eat and live like a student?

OP cannot, because English is not an official language of Israel. He can if he gets a part time open work permit for student, or work right for foreign spouse.
English is an official language of Philippines.

can you qualify to gold card?

2 Likes

If the OP comes as a student he is allowed to work 20 hours a week or something. As he will be working on a student visa the MOE won’t be involved, so assuming a buxiban will employ him he can teach English.

Or am I missing something?

Just seems like a dumb plan and a waste of time. Study what? Most buxiban will not hire part time to people not from English speaking countries. He might get called to sub here and there but that’s about it.

I wouldn’t unless he has family money and he can collect degrees or he can come for work.

Find a new gf.

2 Likes

or marry her.

I know a couple in a same boat and it’s even sadder because the guy is from a very poor country. Israel is at least nice to move to.

I reckon he’d find a buxiban that would employ him, provided he looks the part. Perhaps less likely in Taipei, but somewhere like Taoyuan.

One year in Taipei and 3 visits is a honeymoon. Do either of you really want to upend your lives to see if this relationship can develop further on the basis of that?

If you think you might, there are a number of countries that are open to tourists. Why don’t you and her meet for a few weeks in one of those and see how you feel when you’re reunited?

2 Likes

Please don’t. The last thing Forumosa needs is another foreigner giving off the “stuck in Taiwan because I got married” vibe.

3 Likes