Long march revisited

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … long_march

two Britons retrace the Long March and revise the claimed 10, 000km distance.

naturally PRC officials are mad that two foreigners would challenge such an important symbol and myth-building event of the party.

i thought any time chinese books say 10,000 (yi wan), it’s just an estimate or a literary expression.

but the attitude of the officials quoted in the article seem ridiculously defensive and irrational.

Even 6,000 kilometers boggles the mind. That’s the equivalent of about 140 marathons, and through some tough country while the enemy is in pursuit. I wonder how many people who made that journey are still alive…

Saw that blurb in The Times. Que interesante! Those guys were English editors in Beijing. I think they made them lose face.

Yeah, but I read that all the ‘generals’ got carried in sedan chair thingies while they slept, and plotted their campaign while they were awake. Tehy didn’t march at all. Anyone with more knowledge of Chinese history know about this?

Brian

yeah, that is amazing. a real testament to human spirit and strength.

i wonder how many survivors were lated purged by Mao. kinda sucks, to live thru all that only to be struck down. life is funny.

it’s like the proverbial black soldier from WWII coming home only to be lynched or recently that US soldier who came back and was shot at his home, or surviving some horrible event only to have a freaky death like stepping in front of a moving bus(or was that the movie Final Destination… wow bad movie), or slipping on the bathroom floor.

[quote=“Kenny McCormick”]i wonder how many survivors were lated purged by Mao. kinda sucks, to live thru all that only to be struck down. life is funny.

it’s like the proverbial black soldier from WWII coming home only to be lynched or recently that US soldier who came back and was shot at his home, or surviving some horrible event only to have a freaky death like stepping in front of a moving bus(or was that the movie Final Destination… wow bad movie), or slipping on the bathroom floor.[/quote]

Like some of the allied POWs who survived years of near starvation and forced labor under the Japanese in Taiwan and, when the war ended and they were in Taipei waiting to go back home, were crushed to death by huge containers of food air-dropped on the city by allied forces.

The Chinese are being overly sensitive… perhaps it is insecurity, perhaps inferiority complex.

The Chinese are being overly sensitive… perhaps it is insecurity, perhaps inferiority complex.[/quote]

The Chinese are always overly sensitive about these issues. They are racist and anytime you question any of their claims, you are called anti-Chinese.

The Chinese are being overly sensitive… perhaps it is insecurity, perhaps inferiority complex.[/quote]

The Chinese are always overly sensitive about these issues. They are racist and anytime you question any of their claims, you are called anti-Chinese.[/quote]
ludahai, you are so anti-Chinese. :slight_smile:

It’s interesting, though, that every Chinese account I have read calls it the