Long term parking in Taipei

I’m going to buy a car and I need to park in or around Taipei. I only plan to use the car to get out of the city, so I’m looking into long term parking rates and availability. So far I haven’t been able to find much information. My question is: where can I look into long term parking rates and availability in Taipei? Also, what do people typically pay per month for parking in Taipei? And if I try to find parking outside the city, like Nangang or near some other MRT / train stop should I expect dramatically cheaper rates? Any information on the cost of parking in and around Taipei as well as how to actually find a parking space for rent would be most welcome. Thanks

There is long-term parking. I only am familiar with the suburban areas but it’s generally around NT$3000-3500 per month, sometimes less if you pay a few months in advance. Most places that offer short term also offer long.

The process is like anywhere. You go and say you want long term parking and pay for it.

I don’t know where you live but where I am in Xindian/Bitan (very last stop on the MRT line) there are a few places for long term parking within a few minutes walk of the MRT.

This is a good location for getting out of the city fast as Highway 3 is a 5 minute drive, or you are already on the road to Wulai, Pinglin, and so on.

Or you could drive out to the outer districts (e.g. Neihu or Nangang) and find free street parking. Depends on how you feel about long-term exposure to the elements.

I live in downtown Taipei and I’m usually able to find free parking nearby by looking between 8:00pm and 9:00pm, when people generally finish eating at restaurants and drive home.

How often do you plan to drive? Once a week? Once every two weeks? Once a month?

There is pay parking in indoor parking garages in downtown Taipei. Usually about NT$4000/month. Note that this doesn’t give you a designated spot that’s all your own. When you drive out, others may park there (often hourly parking), and when you get back you will have to find another spot in the garage (sometimes after waiting in line for other cars to vacate the premises).

On my infrequent visits I’ve noted a few “pockets” of apparently free parking fairly centrally located in Taipei, some with a fairly high proportion of apparently abandoned vehicles. Those “fallen through the cracks” locations are likely to be temporary (there were, rather astonishingly, some near Kings Cross in London that I used to use, bet they’re gone now) and, in the Yook at least, especially at risk of theft/vandalism, but if I had to park long term in Taipei I’d probably try them.

I am using mother in law’s apartment car park for which her rich son in law pays for. Not me, the other one.
Costs her 2200 NT per month and she even gets some cash back at the end of year, profit from the collection of parking lot fees (pays back 2 months or so).
Had paid the same for an underground parking lot of another apartment in the same area (NeiHu Taipei, military veterans area).

I have my van parked behind Taipei 101, outdoor, I pay NT$3k per month. Always lots of space there, and only 10 min walk from my house.

They rent out parking downstairs as well, however my van is too tall.

A bit offtopic perhaps, but I’m so happy that I have parking space for my bike for only 100 NT in my building, indoor.

Thanks very much for all the information and suggestions. I work at NTU and it seems I can get a 24 hr. spot there for ~1000NT per month so I think I’ll go with that since it seems cheaper/safer compared to the alternatives! thanks!

Does anyone have experience in parking at night near your house for free?
I see people near my house (Yonghe, New Taipei City) parking their cars at night on the street side (even the lane with red line)
I have to pay for parking space at my office that why paying another one at home is a little bit painful

Wow! Is that day time or night time rate! Or both? Would you mind sharing the location? I work near there and spend much more than that. Thanks!

[quote=“vanhoivanbinh”]Does anyone have experience in parking at night near your house for free?
I see people near my house (Yonghe, New Taipei City) parking their cars at night on the street side (even the lane with red line)
I have to pay for parking space at my office that why paying another one at home is a little bit painful[/quote]

That’s a pure gamble. No red line is ok to park on nowadays, but the only reason I can think of for people to park on a red overnight is that they know police never ever ever check the area for cars parked on red.

You have to read what’s written either on a sign or if there’s any indication on the ground saying when there’s free parking on those spaces.

I know near my house that there’s a stretch of scooter parking for almost 100m on the street and the labeling says, 8AM-8PM, scooter parking and the time in between is free parking for cars and motorcycles. On weekends it’s meter parking from 8AM-8PM for cars.