Looking for a Hi Res Palm Pilot

Hey guys, I’m looking for a Hi Res palm pilot and I’m having some difficulty. I tried a couple of stores and haven’t had any luck… as a matter of fact they have been looking at me like I’m asking about a beta max… it’s not that old of technology damn it! I mean they still make new ones.

I’m going to hit up the computer market today, but if I don’t have any luck can anyone direct me to where I might find one? Or if anyone has a second hand one that works well that they might be interested in selling could you contact me?

Cheers
Magda
magdalicious00@gmail.com

Well, Palm OS devices haven’t been called “Palm Pilot” in years. That could be part of the problem. But also, they’ve never exactly been thick on the ground here. Pdaking.com.tw used to be a good bet but I just checked and they don’t have any now.

Lots at bid.yahoo.com.tw though. This search turns up quite a few, including some Treo 680s. That’s the phone I have–it’s still a very useful device if you can live without 3G or Wi-Fi (wireless data is GPRS/EDGE which is fine for e-mail and still quite usable for web stuff on the built-in browser.)

But if you just want a standalone PDA, there are some Tungsten E2s for sale on that list too.

[quote=“joesax”]Well, Palm OS devices haven’t been called “Palm Pilot” in years. That could be part of the problem. But also, they’ve never exactly been thick on the ground here. Pdaking.com.tw used to be a good bet but I just checked and they don’t have any now.

Lots at bid.yahoo.com.tw though. This search turns up quite a few, including some Treo 680s. That’s the phone I have–it’s still a very useful device if you can live without 3G or Wi-Fi (wireless data is GPRS/EDGE which is fine for e-mail and still quite usable for web stuff on the built-in browser.)

But if you just want a standalone PDA, there are some Tungsten E2s for sale on that list too.[/quote]

No Palm devices ever had high resolution displays.
Does it have to run the Palm OS or is any hand held device with a high resolution display ok?
You can still get the old Treo 680 here shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … 39&ROWNO=2
it has a 320x320 pixel display.
There’s also the Centro, but it’s a bit expensive for what you get imho shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … 39&ROWNO=1
If you want something with a bit higher resolution then you have to take a look at a Windows Mobile device.
HP has a big sucker with a 4in display with VGA resolution (640x480) shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … 37&ROWNO=7 but it doesn’t have built in phone functionality and it’s quite expensive.
This is kinda cheap, as it’s a phone as well shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … 3F&ROWNO=5
You can also take a look at www.expansys.com.tw they ship from HK and have a slightly wider range of devices.

For Palm OS, “high resolution” is used to mean 320 * 320 or greater. Have a look through these results if you’re not convinced. :wink:

Regarding Palm branded devices, most of the Tungstens and all of the Palm OS Treos since the 650 have had high resolution displays.

[Don’t take this too seriously. I’m venting against Palm’s pissing away their lead. :fume: ]

Well, that’s like saying “for Robert, ‘being well bred’ is used to mean that he does not pick his nose.” Never mind that he poops his pants. Arguably, he’s better bred than someone who both picks his nose and poops his pants. But it is unlikely than anyone who is not mentally challenged will find him attractive.

Same with Palm OS. Its “high resolution” is rather pitiful in the wider context of handheld devices. But I don’t think (yet) that people who want Palm OS devices are mentally challenged.

I’m a Treo 650 owner, BTW. :stuck_out_tongue: I also have a Zire something-or-other in a drawer somewhere.

Well, the OS was ok, but they’re now meant to get a new Linux based version out, next year…
Windows Mobile is a hit and miss, some parts are not so bad, others are still terrible after I don’t know how many versions.
Why is it so hard to make a usable touch UI on a devices?
I guess the iPhone got it almost right, besides some issues like no copy paste, weird keyboard setups for some applications etc…
Hopefully whatever comes out of Symbian will be better, but it’ll most likely take at least a year until anything usable comes out.