Looking for a job in IT

Hi everybody ! :slight_smile:

I just registered on this forum because I am interested in Taiwan (like everyone else :smiley: ). I have already been in Taipei twice last year for almost 3 months. Nowadays my plan is to find a way to go back there with a job.

My first plan was to try to go to Korea but I realized it is very difficult to find a job there. I took a look at the jobs in Taiwan and even if the job opportunities are not amazing, I can still find some offers. Taiwan seems to be IT orientated and some positions requires to speak French/English. :slight_smile:

About me:

• I am French
  • I have a master’s degree in IT Management with one year of experience
  • Fluent in French (no kidding !) and in English but not in Mandarin
  • Already lived in Canada and England
  • I am not in Taiwan at the moment but I can go there very quickly (like in 2 weeks)

What I am looking for:

• An IT Management job…
  • or another job with a field related to business
  • French teacher position

I already applied for some job offers in French companies or in Taiwanese companies which are looking for people who can speak French/English. However, I am still waiting for their answers. So I was wondering if, in case, some people here, have useful contacts for helping me (or even some advices). We all know the importance of contacts when you look for a job. :slight_smile:

About the french teacher position: I have applied for some schools like HESS, ANL… There are not many schools which teach French, but it’s still worth it to try.

Good luck, but…

Salaries are generally very low in Taiwan, and I assume working conditions must not be that great in IT. If you have a Masters degree in IT from a decent university, it seems like madness to me to move to Taiwan, when there are so many better opportunities elsewhere. I know people say the cost of living is low, but it’s not THAT low, especially in Taipei. If you want a comfortable apartment (with a kitchen, etc), it costs money. If you really want to live there though, it would probably be better to work online and enroll to Chinese classes to be able to stay in the country legally.

Also, I would think that to secure a management job, you would have to speak Mandarin in most cases, no?

[quote=“jp_mtl”]Good luck, but…

Salaries are generally very low in Taiwan, and I assume working conditions must not be that great in IT. If you have a Masters degree in IT from a decent university, it seems like madness to me to move to Taiwan, when there are so many better opportunities elsewhere. I know people say the cost of living is low, but it’s not THAT low, especially in Taipei. If you want a comfortable apartment (with a kitchen, etc), it costs money. If you really want to live there though, it would probably be better to work online and enroll to Chinese classes to be able to stay in the country legally.

Also, I would think that to secure a management job, you would have to speak Mandarin in most cases, no?[/quote]

Thanks !

For sure if I wanted to work for the wage, I would not choose Taiwan. It’s more for the experience I’m doing it.
For the apartment, I am not picky. I could easily live in a shared apartment.

This is my weakest point. For some companies it’s a must for some others it’s a plus. But I can only apply for jobs that demand French as a native language. They would only hire me and not a Taiwanese thanks to that.

Jérôme, you look like a nice guy, but you also look overly optimistic in my opinion. Living in a shared apartment for a foreigner is a very bad idea, and I speak from experience. I have lived in three different shared accommodations so far here, and I would never do that again, believe me. Take your own apartment.

You mean in general or in Taiwan ?
Because I have already lived in a shared accommodation two times as a foreigner.

i have had nothing but good experiences with shared housing in Taiwan.

Yeah, I suppose it’s like everywhere else: shared housing is lottery.
On my side, I had very good experiences and bad ones but I have always found it was still an experience to live. :bow: