Looking for a job

Hey Everyone,

I am an American who recently relocated to Taipei, Taiwan. I am having some difficulties securing employment. I have had a couple of offers to teach English, but I would rather develop my career in other fields. Right now I am checking the following daily:

Forumosa.com Message Boards
Taipei Times Classifieds
Taiwan Ho! Classifieds
Taipei Times Online Classifieds

Is there anything else I could be doing or any other sources I could be checking? Like I mentioned above, teaching English is an option. But I would rather secure something in another field. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-thatme20

Hello,

An idea is to check for any government web sites. Good luck…

Hi thatme20,

not to bust your bubble, but I’ve yet to see an interesting non-teaching related job-offer on the forum sites such as this one here, the Ho! or TeaLit, but of course it never hurts to look …

I’d add the following to your strategy:
Check the daily papers such as Taipei Times, China Post etc., although these also have very small job-sections, but you never know …
Try other on-line sources such as 104 job bank (www.104.com.tw), they have an (abbreviated) English version page and a cv-upload site (or e-mail submission) or the big ones such as monster.com or yahoo etc., filter your search by region and industry, of course …
Which leads to the probably best bet you have: if you’re not interested in teaching you probably have other qualifications or experiences: target potential employers in your area of interest and do some on-line research, followed by some phone- or even foot-based work to contact them directly …

If you let us know what your qualifications/experiences/plans are s.b. might be able to help!?

More ideas anyone? Good luck! Xpet.

Xpet,

Thanks for your post. I have a great deal in the retail industry, specifically electronics. I also have some experience in the entertainment industry as a manager of a movie theater. I also have a 4 year degree from a school in the States.

My plans are to sign a 12- 18 month contract with a multi- national here to get my foot in the door and go from there.

-thatme20