Looking for a personal trainer

I’ve seen a handful of posters here mention their personal trainers, but I’m at a loss about where to find a good one. I know the gyms all have them, but I’d rather seek one out based on a recommendation than waste time and money on one that might be all wrong for me. I’ve heard discouraging stories about disrespectful trainers in some of the gyms, making overweight customers feel bad rather than actually motivating them to feel good about exercise. Having someone criticize you for being fat while you’re in the middle of trying to lose weight is both demoralizing and a sure path to failure. So, here are my questions, which will hopefully result in some leads…

1. If you have a trainer, how long have you been with him or her?

2. Do you feel that the training has been effective? (particularly regarding weight loss)

3. How much does the trainer charge?

4. Is the trainer tied to a particular gym, and must you therefore be a member of that gym to use the trainer?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. By the way, I live in Wan Hua District, within walking distance of Taipei Gym and California Fitness. If anyone has experience with trainers at either of these gyms, I’m all ears.

Kevin, he’s Canadian Chinese. You can try his cell: 0987386578 if he hasn’t returned to Canada by now.

He used to work at Alexander gym, but at the rate staff changes in Taiwan, I would guess after a year he’d be long gone somewhere else. I’m sure he’d be more than willing to take you on as a private, though.

I liked his attitude as a trainer, explains everything properly, keeps you motivated, very professional, was trained as PT in Canada.

[quote=“naive”] I’ve heard discouraging stories about disrespectful trainers in some of the gyms, making overweight customers feel bad rather than actually motivating them to feel good about exercise. Having someone criticize you for being fat while you’re in the middle of trying to lose weight is both demoralizing…[/quote] :frowning:
That is awful, but it doesn’t surprise me. It doesn’t seem uncommon here to heap criticism on others - children, wives, daughter-in-laws… I get the impression that is historically true, too.
Keep them in their place, trick the ghosts, whatever reason…