Looking for advice from English teachers in Taiwan (Taipei)

I am looking for someone that is currently living in Taiwan and teaching English that would be able to provide me with some advice and information about moving to Taiwan to teach English. First I will list some information about myself:

1. I am a U.S. Citizen.
  2. I have a B.S. degree in Computer Information Systems.
  3. I have previously lived and work in Taipei (approx 18 months as a telecommunications engineer).
  4. I am currently living in Florida.

Ever since I left Taiwan I have just not enjoyed myself or my work back in the U.S. and I have been giving serious thought to moving back to Taiwan to teach english. I do have a degree but my only teaching experiences are limited to serving as a CPR instructor and teaching some training classes back when I was in the Military.

How difficult would it be to get a teaching contract given my degree and prior work experience in Taiwan? Is it difficult to teach English? What kind of salary range could I expect? And could I pursue a position while I am still in the U.S. or would I need to get to Taiwan first?

During my 18 month stay in Taipei I did pick up a bit of Chinese… is the ability to speak Chinese required/needed to teach English?

I would really appreciated it if anyone out there would give me some information or advice about moving to Taiwan to teach English. You can email me directly at Geraldaf@mac.com or reply to this post.

Thank you very much

Hi Blues,

Your location says “Tien Mu”. Are you in Taiwan already?

In any case, the “Teaching English” forum is full of posts with questions similar to yours and many answers. If you did a little searching there, I’m sure you’d find a lot of info.

After that, if you ask some more specific questions, you’ll likely get more people replying to you.

The very short answers to your questions are yes, yes, no, yes, no, 12.

Just joking.

Answers: Not difficult, everything is difficult if you don’t know how to do it, $500-600 NT per hour, either. Coming here first used to be the standard advice. Fewer jobs now. Still possible though.

Best of luck in your transition,

Seeker4

Teaching is all very well, but with your computer experience I would try to find that kind ow work. Unless you want to just float for a while, then teaching would be ideal. Taipei is expensive though, you could move to some of the surrounding areas and save more money. Lots of opportunity if you’re a good seller.

Ah, a fellow Mac user . . .

I see good things in your future here in Taiwan . . . :smiley:

I love my mac, switched over about a year ago and I’m hooked.

:sunglasses: