Looking for cheese whey

Just wondering if anyone has tried making cheese here?
I’m not really after making my own cheese, but I would like to get my hands on some whey if anyone is making their own cheese.
I know it’s a strange request, but I want to try to make something from back home out of it and that’s why I’m after whey rather than rennet or the other kind of stuff you need for cheese making.

Cheers

I guess that’s a no then, so can you buy rennet here?

Yes, I did and I bring rennet and culture from home and store them in the fridge … or have them sent over … I have no idea about the shelf life when cooled but I still have a full not used container … and culture including rennet … have some yogurt culture too …

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Just wondering if anyone has tried making cheese here?
I’m not really after making my own cheese, but I would like to get my hands on some whey if anyone is making their own cheese.
I know it’s a strange request, but I want to try to make something from back home out of it and that’s why I’m after whey rather than rennet or the other kind of stuff you need for cheese making.

Cheers[/quote]

I’m thinking about placing an order for some rennet and other cultures and cheesemaking stuff, but you don’t need any of that to get whey; you can just use some vinegar or lemon juice to curdle some milk at the right temperature, strain the curds out, and you have whey (instructions are all over the internet – just look for homemade cottage cheese recipes). You can just toss the curds if you want and keep the whey. :idunno:

Anyway, I plan to use my whey to make ricotta, but if I really get into this instead of just trying it once or twice (as often happens with my hobbies :smiley:), then I might have some spare whey at some point. If I do I’ll let you know, if you’re still interested and if you can travel to Donghu, Taibei. Drop me your contact info in a PM.

Not sure if this is exactly what you want.

chococheese.com.tw/ticino_002.aspx

I met the guy once in Taichung, he is from Switzerland and makes cheese in Zhongli. At least his yoghurt is better than any other yoghurt you can buy in Taichung.

Yeah, seen that company, but it’s not exactly local.
I can’t use vinegar or lemon juice, as it would flavour the whey and I want to make a sweet bread spread out of it and I’d need a lot of whey, 4-5l would be ideal.
But it’s not a big deal, just something I miss from back home.

If you had said that it’s too expensive, I’d have understood, but what do you mean with it is not local?

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]I can’t use vinegar or lemon juice, as it would flavour the whey and I want to make a sweet bread spread out of it and I’d need a lot of whey, 4-5l would be ideal.
But it’s not a big deal, just something I miss from back home.[/quote]

I’ve read that if you increaase the heat and time slightly and keep the acid level down, the vinegar, in particular, doesn’t really flavor the whey. :idunno:

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]I want to make a sweet bread spread out of it and I’d need a lot of whey, 4-5l would be ideal.
But it’s not a big deal, just something I miss from back home.[/quote]

Fjällbrynt Messmör? :wink:

Yeah, that’s the stuff… :smiley:

I’m making a small test batch of queso blanco at the moment, but only from one liter of milk, so I won’t have much whey left. How long will it keep, refrigerated?

A couple of days at least, in the fridge of course. It’s also good for baking bread with…

I’ve never even seen a bread recipe calling for whey. I imagine I have some Googling to do tomorrow. :smiley: The curds are looking good, but the yield is small, and the whey is a little milky. I don’t think I got maximally efficient extraction on this first test run. Time for some experimentation. BTW, I got nice cheesecloth bags for only NT$50 at the Minquan bridge DIY baking store, as well as a decent dial thermometer for only $300 or so.

Edit: Directions to that store: As you’re driving East down Minquan (Minquan) E Rd towards Neihu, after passing the aquarium shops and crossing Fuyuan St. (the last street IMMEDIATELY before the bridge), instead of getting on the bridge, take the low road parallel to the bridge on the south (right) side. Go a short block, past a Buddhist supply shop, just past a Bridgestone tire shop; turn right onto 富錦街, and go about 50 meters, and the shop is on your left. 義興西點原料行 is the shop name; the address is 富錦街574巷2號 Fujin St., Lane 574, #2. Phone 2760-8115. Open 9a-9p; closed Sundays.

The tofu cloths works fine as well, I’ve got one I strain yoghurt with if it’s a bit too runny for cooking with. I think I picked mine up for something silly like NT$25 in one of those shops that sell all sort of strange stuff. IKEA has good digital thermometers for fairly cheap, but I can’t remember what I paid, NT$199? Maybe it was 299…

You just replace the milk/water/liquid with the whey when you bake, works great with rye bread, brings out the flavour a bit more. You can also bake using quark instead of fat in your bread, but quark is expensive here and I guess making it on your own doesn’t give you a whole bunch, similar to curds…

That’s actually what these are: This is already sewn into a bag shape, and works just fine for cottage cheese, feta, queso blanco or what have you.

Oh, ok, thanks!

What’s cheese whey?

Oh, wait, I think I know…

About 225g?

:wink: