Looking for English-speaking hair salon/barber

My Chinese still isn’t decent enough to negotiate the right haircut. I’ve had several “too short” incidents, and rather than learning Chinese the hard way every time I need a haircut, I’d like to treat myself to an English-speaking barber/hair stylist. However, I don’t want to spend a month’s salary to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonable (200-400 NT) English-speaking salon? Heck, all I usually need is a trim, preferably with scissors.

Hate to sound picky or snobby, but I’m tired of being butchered - even after I’m sure I’ve made clear that I want only a bit taken off.

Thanks!

[quote=“cyberN8”]My Chinese still isn’t decent enough to negotiate the right haircut. I’ve had several “too short” incidents, and rather than learning Chinese the hard way every time I need a haircut, I’d like to treat myself to an English-speaking barber/hair stylist. However, I don’t want to spend a month’s salary to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonable (200-400 NT) English-speaking salon? Heck, all I usually need is a trim, preferably with scissors.

Hate to sound picky or snobby, but I’m tired of being butchered - even after I’m sure I’ve made clear that I want only a bit taken off.

Thanks![/quote]

I think your problem is as much with your budget as with the language. I used to pay 100 NT down south twelve years ago, but that was for a flat-top. I can’t imagine paying 200-400 in Taipei and getting a decent cut.

If you want a good haircut in Taipei, I recommend you increase to budget a bit. If you’re still interested, let me know and I’ll send you to Pokie, who doesn’t speak English but gives a great haircut.

T.

This is out of your budget, but there is a stylist named Martin who speaks English well (he’s originally from HK).

His salon is near the Nanjing MRT Stn on the Mucha Line, and his phone number is 2546-2323. He’s very good, but expensive (NT$1600).

Does Martin do women’s hair? And at 1600 a pop, will I need to tip him?

J. (back to the bun after two awful haircuts)

If budget is flexible, you can get a reasonable haircut frmo English speakers at the American Club.
The Haircut will cost you about NT$600.

Plus about NT$100K for Club membership & about NT$4K /month standing charge.

If you are in a hurry you could probably land your helicopter on one of the tennis courts.

Same price range as Martin above…

William Salle, Eco Coiffeur. French guy with VERY good english and from what I can tell pretty good Chinese too!

No 13-1 Alley 2, Lane 345, Ren Ai Sect 4 ( behind the Fubon bank Building on Ren Ai.)

great haircuts and great color too (for the folks who want color).

My boss gave me his name, I have since recommended him to 2 friends, and the one who has gone was very happy with the cut!

Yes, Martin does women’s hair, and no you don’t need to tip him on top of the NT$1600. The good thing about the all that money shelled out (!) is that the haircut grows out really well.

He’s very observant, picks up on what kind of hairstyle best suits your lifestyle right away, and months later, noticed that the texture of my hair had changed (which was one of the first signs that my health had gotten a little out of whack at that time).

I go to another place now that is much cheaper (but not as good), but this particular hairdresser doesn’t speak English, so it’s sort of an excercise in faith.

If money were no object, then I’d go to Martin all the time.

For 600 (no wash/style - i think it is 800 with the frills) I get a great cut (on my straight, blonde, medium-length hair) from Diane at Fine Salon. Found her through a previous thread on oriented. She has her own salon (i.e. her living room) near SOGO and seems to have a very open schedule. NOT the fancy salon experience - she is not going to say “DAHling - you look FABulous!!!” - but you get a great cut and nice conversation and have money left for some shopping afterwards!

give her a call: 02-2778-4733 or see her site at:
www.fine-salon.com

(btw - I was just there last friday and she said she is planning a trip out of Taiwan - so she might not be available for a week or two)

I don’t recommend Diane’s Fine Salon. She cut my hair 4 times last year and only once was I satisfied. One time, she cut my bangs way too short. Oops, sorry, just didn’t cut it for me. But, lamb to the slaughter, I went back again. I have very wavy hair and instead of giving me a “bob”, she cut it the opposite - plus, one side was cut much shorter than the other. So, again, it took months to even up. No, don’t risk her. At least, that’s my opinion.

I’m home again and back to my favorite hairdresser. For the same amount - 600 NT - I get a shampoo and a very superior cut!

It took me weeks to muster the courage and go to a hairdresser here ( I loved my 35 RMB haircut from the Guangzhou guy who must have been the best hairdresser in Shanghai even though I didn’t understand a word of his Chinese, and one hour of massage were included, too!) . I just picked one randomly at Tingzhou Road. The girl I ended up with spoke some English and convinced me to let her cut my hair the way she thought would look good. And, it did! I have very thin, very fine, wavy hair but she did a real good job. I think I paid about 600 NT including shampooing.

PM if you want her contact details
Iris

That would be from November 25 to December 5.

Diane has done this for 20 years, and she has quite a few satisifed customers here in Taipei, both Taiwanese and westerners. Since someone mentioned the American Club, she worked there for several years. She’s very good with colors, if that’s your thing.

We lived in the US for a while so she speaks good English. We also lived in Sweden, where she worked as hair dresser full time for over 4 years (speaks good Swedish, too), so she knows western hair and hair styles. She also worked in Hong Kong for a short time. She’s located in the middle of Taipei, just 3 minutes walk behind SOGO towards Civic Blvd. By MRT, get off at the Chunghsiao / Fuhsing station on the blue line, taking the SOGO exit (4).

There’s a (bad) map on her web-site, but basically you walk in the direction of Tunhwa (Dunhua) for about a hundred meters until you hit Ta-an Rd. Turn left on Da’an towards Civic Blvd. Pass a 7-11 on your right hand side. The last lane on the same side as the 7-11 before you get to the Family Mart convenience store (which is on the opposite side of Da’an) is lane 31 (there’s a clothes store right on that corner). Turn right into that lane and you’ll find Diane about a hundred meters down, on your right hand side just before the intersection.

Phone: 2778 4733
Address: Ta-an Rd., Sec. 1, Ln. 31, No. 20, 2Fl.

Give her a call. She’s open till 8 pm every day but Sunday.