Looking for flat for 2 in Taipei

Hello,

I am going to NTNU from September and want to rent a flat for 2, preferably close to NTNU and under 800GBP each per month, my Chinese is not very good so looking for a flat is kind of daunting, any advice or offers will be appreciated.

Thanks

Take any Taiwanese friend with you

1 Like

You don’t need to spend £800 GBP

20,000 TWD will get you a very nice place

3 Likes

I would wait until you are here or close to being here before you start house hunting. Any ads I find for you will be taken down by September.

1 Like

591.com.tw should be a good start, it works reasonably well with google translate. But as mentioned before, better get something temporary first and then look in person (together with a TW friend)

800GBP is 30K NTD, which should yield a reasonably nice place in Taipei. Should it be with complete furniture?

This here is a search for rooms 20~30K around NTNU:

1 Like

I wouldn’t say “very” nice. You can certainly have a place to live in Gongguan though…

1 Like

Reminders

• No matter how long you are renting for make sure you sign a contract, otherwise if the landlord suddenly asks you to move out, you will not have any evidence to claim compensation.
  • When signing the contract, be sure to ask the landlord for proof of identity (ID Card), proof of home ownership, housing tax, or an official proof of all the above, in order to confirm that they are the landlord. If it is a sublet then please also request that the principal tenant also produces the original contract to make sure they are allowed to sublet to others.
  • If any changes are made to the contract then both sides must apply their seals or signatures to that clause in order to prevent future disputes.
  • Both the tenant and the landlord should keep a copy of the exact same contract clauses as future proof.
  • As soon as you have moved in please make sure to keep a photographic record of the property, so that you can restore the room back to its orginal set-up when you move out and avoid disputes.

When looking for an apartment, you can use the following questions when meeting a landlord:

• Does the rent already include the following costs: water, electricity, air-conditioning charges, cable TV, public fees, building management fees?
  • When is the rent payment due? What is the best method of payment?
  • How much is the deposit?
  • What furniture or equipment is included in the room? If you have other needs, will the landlord be able to provide these free of charge?
  • If you are renting a shared apartment (yafang-(雅芳), which common areas are there: bathroom, living room, kitchen?
  • What are the Landlord’s requirements: whether they accept both men and women as tenants; keeping pets; scope and use of common areas, if living with the landlord.
  • How old is the property? What materials is the property built with?
  • What are the occupations of the other tenants?

As a word of advice, you should get yourself familiar with a few key Chinese terms before you start looking:

• GongYu (公寓) is an apartment with at least 1 separate bedroom. Apartments come in all sizes, but generally they will include a separate bathroom, perhaps combined kitchen and living room, and a space for washing clothes (either in a room or on a balcony).
  • TaoFang (套房) is a studio-like apartment with its own separate bathroom, possibly no place for a washing machine, but usually enough space for a refrigerator, microwave and other basics.
  • DuLi TaoFang (獨立套房) or “independent studio” is a taofang with a separate external exit. As this implies, some taofangs can be little more than a main bedroom in a bigger apartment with its own bathroom attached.
  • YaFang (雅芳) is a dormitory-like room, most likely with a common kitchen, bathroom and laundry shared by other renters.
  • DingLou JiaGai (頂樓加蓋) is a roof top add-on that has been built on the top of an apartment building.
  • Ping (坪) is a unit of measurement equal to 2 tatami mats, roughly the size of a double * bed. All property in Taiwan is quoted in pings.
  • FangJian (房間) is room. KeTing (客廳) is living room. WeiYu (衛浴) is a XiShouJian (洗手間) or bathroom. Thus 2房1聽1衛 is a 2-bedroom apartment with a living room and a single bathroom.
  • FangZu (房祖) is the noun rent. Zu (祖) is the verb rent.
  • YaJin (押金) is a deposit. You will often pay 2 month’s deposit + 1 month’s rent just to get started. But it depends on the landlord.

Sources and more information :

Thanks guys, especially for the tips!

The problem is that due to quarantine rules I think it’s going to be difficult to find a temporary place due to quarantine rules - I was rejected by an air b&b for that reason. I’m still looking and open to any offers in Da’an district if possible

Do you absolutely have to be located close to NTNU? If you can find a flat in New Taipei City, it will be much cheaper, and you can use the rest of the money on other stuff…

It does not have to be Danshui, it can be banqiao, xinjhuan, sanchong, or xindian, which are still reasonably close to NTNU.

Quarantine is 3 days. You can get an AirBnB after it finishes.

But sending out offers now is useless because when you get here, the listings will all be different. Landlords will not want to wait for you and waste 3 months.