Looking for Hapkido classes

Hi,

I’m looking for hapkido classes in Taipei. I’m in Ximen so not looking to have to travel very far. I see the japanese Aikido which has the same chinese characters but can’t find the Korean Hapkido.

Hope to get some good news.

Cheers.

Thought I’d revive this topic.

I’m mainly looking for Hapkido classes around the Zhongshan uni area in Gaoxiong. Failing this, does anyone know if there are any nearby classes (or even at the uni itself) for Tae Kwon Do, Aikido or Ju Jitsu?

Is there any resemblance between the arts of hapkido and aikido?

I have never heard of this style before. I googled it and it seems to be Aikido with kicks. But I would think that kicking defeats the whole purpose of studying Aikido in the first place. Is it akin to what Steven Segal practices?

Heck, even most of the sword techniques we practice is defensive in nature.

Did some more reading…yep it looks like an attacking style of Aikido. :astonished:

I’m no expert onhow to define each martial art myself but in brief Hapkido is quite a fierce martial art. It uses kicks, punches, locks and throws. I always thought of it as a combination of Aikido, TKD and judo. Aikido is quite the opposite, using minimal force to stop someone attacking you. But I think Steven Seagal is about the worst example of a hapkido practitioner that I could think of. He’s too violent, and likes to go for the throat a lot. :astonished:

Well, the whole idea behind Aikido is that it is not violent (though it is dangerous and very effective…if there is truth in practice.) and it is defensive in nature. Hapkido sounds good, but anything offensive is not true Aikido.

[quote=“tetsuo500”]Thought I’d revive this topic.

I’m mainly looking for Hapkido classes around the Zhongshan uni area in Gaoxiong. Failing this, does anyone know if there are any nearby classes (or even at the uni itself) for Tae Kwon Do, Aikido or Ju Jitsu?[/quote]

I practice Aikido every morning 9-11 (except when I gotta sub a kindy class). I also have a group class Sat. night 7-9pm and Sunday afternoon 2-4pm. I have a private class on Monday night 7:15-8:45. I don’t really like the morning class as they don’t practice as honestly as I like. The other classes rock. I will see if there is an Aikido class near the uni and let you know. If there isn’t one, then you are more than welcome to join us.

Thanks!

How far away from the uni are the classes you are taking at the moment?

To clarify,
Hapkido was invented by a Korean guy that was housed during WWII in Japan. He learned Aikiryu jujutsu (spelling?) from his house master.
After the Japanese lost the war, his master killed himself. Koreans were sent back home, and he became street kid. Later on his life he
developed the style by mixing the Japanese martial arts with the Korean stuff. At least that’s the story my master always told me.
It’s not an attack form of Aikido, but it is similar in the locks and some of the moves. Depending on the style of Hapkido being taught,
it will either be a mixture of nearly any martial art you can think of (jiujitsu, TKD, judo, karate, sool yool, krav maga, and muay thai) or
it will be a more classical Korean style with some Japanese flavor. I prefer the melting pot style, as it is less rigid and more practical.
I, too, would like to find a class in Taipei.