Looking for Housing in Hsinchu Near NTHU

looking-to-rent

My fiancee and I are moving to Hsinchu at the end of August (August, 30th). I will be a grad student at the National Tsing Hua University. I’ve looked through rent.591.com.tw multiple times for affordable flats near the university, and I’ve called several owners. The problem is my Chinese listening and speaking skills are not all that great and it’s very difficult to communicate with the owners. Not to mention the 12 hour time difference and how much it costs to do international calls. When I try leaving a comment on the 591 advertisements (I’m much better at reading and writing Chinese), it says I need to login or make an account; but in order to make an account, you need a Taiwanese phone number… So yeah, I’m not sure what to do, so I’m here hoping that I can either find housing or–at the very least–someone who can help me find housing.

We’re looking for housing with rent around 13,000元/月 or less with at least 15坪, furnished, and close to NTHU (preferably less than 2km). Preferably with a kitchen and at least two rooms (1 bedroom and 1 living room).

Any help would be appreciated.

It is strongly recommended to see the room before you rent it, and to go with a local acquaintance who helps you to check and sign a contract. So, people moving to taiwan usually book somewhete to stay temporarily for a week or so, and look for housing during the period.

Okay. We’re just a bit worried that we won’t be able to find housing in time to apply for the ARC. It says you have to apply within 15 days after your arrival. Do you think we will be able to find housing within the first week of arriving without too much difficulty?

I’d say yes… shouldn’t be a problem. In any event, you shouldn’t ever rent anything here without seeing it in person first.