Looking for info on a ferry disaster from years ago

Hey all,
I was watching Discovery Channel the other night (or possibly some other channel). Anyway, there was this story about this ferry or cruise liner that started sinking. Basically the crew disappeared on the lifeboats and left the passengers to fend for themselves.

One of the cabaret singers radioed for help and they managed to airlift everyone off the ship just before it sank.

Does anyone know which ship this was? Or where I can find more info on-line about it? No-one died as far as I know, so it’s hard to find on any lists of ferry disasters, etc. Plus I’m not sure what it was called.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Nobody heard of this?

Some more info, though this is not necessarily reliable. I think there was some connection with a Scandinavian country. Also, I seem to remember the ship has something like “Oceania” written on it (spelling might be slightly different).

I think that fits the bill of a Russian or Italian ship that sank near New Zealand.

HG

Edit:

Nope, quite theopposite in that case:

[quote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Lermontov_(ship) As was common in the Soviet Union, the top priority in catastrophes was avoiding negative publicity, even at the cost of human life, hence no distress signal was sent to the local authorities, and rescue ships, seeing that the Mikhail Lermontov was in trouble, were gruffly told that their assistance was not required. Luckily for the passengers, the rescue ships knew that their assistance was required, and stood by to evacuate the passengers.

By 8.30 pm, many passengers were being loaded on to these rescue ships of their own accord, but the Russian crew refused to disembark. The passengers were put onto an LPG tanker that was in the area, the MV Tarihiko.[/quote]

HG wrote: [quote]I think that fits the bill of a Russian or Italian ship that sank near
New Zealand
. [/quote]

You’re obsessed with my country!

It’s OK. I got it. It was called the “Oceanos” (no idea where I got the Scandinavian thing from. Maybe that cabaret singer was Swedish or something).

More here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanos

Cheers.

Good link here, btw: oceanossinking.blogspot.com/2007 … eanos.html

[quote=“almas john”]HG wrote: [quote]I think that fits the bill of a Russian or Italian ship that sank near
New Zealand
. [/quote]

You’re obsessed with my country![/quote]

Just a paternalistic desire to see our wee little cousins thrust into the spotlight from time to time. :laughing:

HG