Looking for moderators for this forum

We are on the look out for new moderators for the Teaching in Taiwan forum. We seek regular ORIENTED visitors with teaching or training experience and the patience and open-mindedness to advise others.

Teaching in Taiwan has many facets, so ideally there would be 2 or 3 moderators for this forum. Each would represent different aspects of the experience: Bushiban/formal teaching, Private teaching, corporate training. Hopefully, interested people can do either or both of two things: answer questions, and start discussions

This is a volunteer opportunity. As a team of moderators, you are given wide lattitude about the administration of your forum. You are expected to have a consensus, when appropriate.

We are planning Forum archives. On these pages, moderators can add links to discussions that often arise, especially for those new to the forums

We do meet (about once every 6 months), if only so that we can remember each others faces in the street (and this only happened once with me). At the meetings, moderators trade experiences and suggestions. However, we do maintain a private (secret) discussion board to provide reference and support for this website.

Other requirements:

1. you must be a regular user of these forums – this means you are familiar with basic functions, like posting, editing, searching. You will learn how to do a couple of more things.

2. you must provide a personal profile so that other ORIENTED Visitors will know something about you. Hopefully, your profile will verify your interest and credibility in Teaching in Taiwan.

3. you will be asked how long you plan to stay in Taiwan. If think you will leave within 6 months, be sure to talk to us about how you might handover your duties to a successor.

4. we prefer to meet prospective moderators in person. Unfortunately, this seems to limit us to Taipei. If you live in Taiwan but you are not going to be in Taipei County before Chinese New Year, let’s talk on the phone and see where things go.

Be sure to read this: http://oriented.org/forums/moderator.shtml

If you are interested, please contact me at info@oriented.org or call/SMS me at 0952 948975

Ay up lads, dis sounds perrrrrffect for a lad like me. I’m a bit stuck fer work in the teachin’ game at the moment, sum beggar always seems te get to the adveritmitised jobs before meself, can’t take that just filled it anymore, methinks I’ll hav te soup up me Kymco a bit. Anyways, yeah, this joba yours, reckon I’d be purfect like. Havin’a lirrel look at what yis wants…

quote:
1. you must be a regular user of these forums -- this means you are familiar with basic functions, like posting, editing, searching. You will learn how to do a couple of more things.
Reckons I can handle thar alright...
quote[quote] 2. you must provide a personal profile so that other ORIENTED Visitors will know something about you. Hopefully, your profile will verify your interest and credibility in Teaching in Taiwan. [/quote] Very credible and inturestin' I am, won't have te put me address down now will I, a few people are lukin'fer me like....
quote:
3. you will be asked how long you plan to stay in Taiwan. If think you will leave within 6 months, be sure to talk to us about how you might handover your duties to a successor.
Ahh ye don't have te worry about that lads, I'll be with yee fer a long long time, ye'll be happy te know.
quote:
4. we prefer to meet prospective moderators in person. Unfortunately, this seems to limit us to Taipei. If you live in Taiwan but you are not going to be in Taipei County before Chinese New Year, let's talk on the phone and see where things go.

No bother me buckos, I’ll hop on me Kymco and be wit yis in no time. Me phones not workin’too well at the moment, although some Chinese bird still seems te get threw every now and again, ignorant sort, doesn’t let me get a word in edgeways, then just keeps sayin’the same bloody thing over and over and over, jaysus I’m near glad she only phones and doesn’t attempt te call round me gaff, sure me ears id be in bits after er. nyways, yeah, I’ll come up te the big smoke and see yis.

alrighty then lads, I look forwaaard to yis gettin’ back te me, and sure maybe we’ll have a few jars when I get up te see yis.

Umm, there is one more obvious requirement: since you’d be co-moderating the forum, you’ll have to get along with the other co-moderators.

I don’t mean to say that I don’t think you will . I only want to say that current co-moderators are part of the process since you’ll be working as a team.

If you are serious, drop me a line at info@oriented.org – I’ll check in with the other moderator and try to arrange lunch in Taipei sometime.

Biker_Dude, in addition to #1 above, we look for people who have posted constructive messages that encourage others to participate in the discussions, not the other way around.

Thus far, given the reaction that we’ve had from both moderators and visitors to our website, that has not been the case. But now that we are aware of your interest, we’ll be noting the nature of your postings going forward to determine whether or not you are qualified, as we are always interested in people who are interested in us. We encourage you to keep posting… but let’s keep it in the gym!

Also, since this forum is about Teaching English in Taiwan, we’d also hope that you would have some experience in the subject matter, as we try to find moderators who not only meet our general requirements but who can also bring value to the forums they moderate.

Your English is… ?

quote[quote] Your English is... ? [/quote]

How about - a valid literary style

Apologies to James Joyce, Brendan Behan, Roddy Doyle, Patrick McCabe, Flann O’Brien

if yez were tinkin’ of submittin’ yez er applications for mederatin - yez better tink again - Christine won’t let yez in the gate with youz sloppy English…like

I do remember (in a previous life) one enlightened institution in Taiwan recruiting English teachers -with NON AMERICAN/CANADIAN accents - to ensure that their students could survive in other English speaking environments.

Just my 2 bob

Thanks BH but the question wasn’t yours to answer.

I personally think that Biker_Dude can be funny at times and some people rather enjoy his postings, but if he wants to be a moderator of this forum he needs to address all of the above.

Fish

Barrel

Bang

how is this forum going to work…say “how to teach flashcards effectively in a bushiban” kind of thing?

learning games to “play”

i’d be into helping make bushiban teaching more about learning English and less about getting kids completely wound up with playing “run and smash the letter”

Closing this thread. When we need more moderators we’ll open it back up.