Looking for people with a description like this to share their experience

It’s just like no one would say “my fellow friends”. It’s imbalanced. “Fellow” implies that you are included in whatever it describes, and you aren’t one of your own friends.

2 Likes

But if you have kids to feed, mortgages to pay and your income isn’t high it can be overwhelming, especially if something happens with your car and it will cost 1000 to fix. Or worse, it gets stolen…

At least with riding mrt you don’t worry about not being able to make it to work because your car won’t start or is missing.

Remember a good majority of Americans can’t pay more than 400 in unexpected expense.

2 Likes

Haha, will take note of that in future posts.

I use to be like that and the longer I stay here I know why. It’s the people, treating each other badly.(an opinion) Amenities wise, it is affordable and convenient. I hate it when I hear “zai guo wai … Taiwan jiu mei you”. Often times this can be debunked if you look closely, you can find the things you are looking for. (frankly I do this sometimes haha). A land of contradiction.

Another thing I should add, people start listing other places that are supposedly better. Japan, Korea, China usually come up. Why not China? They’re making lots of money. Oh yeah. Cause I just love the institutional Racism and Bribery one has to experience every day.

Those second generations of big CEO’s have the network (locally) already built for them, they do still have to perform (local pressure) but compared to one with none is much more difficult. It is still inspiring nevertheless.

I knew a guy like that.
parents immigrated to the states when he was 8, dad busted his ass off as a cook in a Chinese restaurant for his son to be American.
when the son decided to come back to TW there was a huge fight, with the dad saying “I busted my ass for you to be American…”
in the end he went back to the usa.
low salaries and child education issues combined . he wanted his own kids to be American in the end

Those second generation CEO were sons of CEO’s. It didn’t matter much what they wanted to do, they’ll be the CEO regardless. They already have it made before they were born.

Low salary is a problem in Taiwan but hopefully that will change. Otherwise start your own business in anything. The US may have higher salaries but jobs are much harder to get. A lot of people work at Walmart in the meantime because that job requires little to nothing of “proving your worth” to get and there are still pathways to success if you want to. You pretty much need those high salary jobs anyways (which you have to invest a lot of “proving you’re worthy” to get) otherwise the American life is too expensive for you. Working at Walmart won’t meet those needs and a single car breakdown will put you in unrecoverable debt, and you’ll live paycheck to paycheck until you get better jobs (or become an assistant manager).

More likely you’ll pay your 100,000 student loan debt and if you got those high salary jobs you’ll have a shot at paying them off, otherwise you will never ever pay them off. Walmart assistant manager doesn’t require a college degree (it can be helpful but not required). Having worked as an associate for a few years probably counts more to get hired as an assistant manager than having a degree. America is not a bed of roses either, and it’s not worth busting your ass for years just to get there.

Taiwanese education may be hard but students here don’t come off being idiots or not knowing basic facts.

Taiwan’s education system tries to build scientists and engineers while the western system is more inclusive and well rounded.

taiwanese americans generally do really well though. we are one of the most affluent subgroups on the planet. according to the 2010 census, taiwanese americans make on average 70k which is very high. because we generally focus on education and tend to congregate in stemmy fields, we can do quite well in the US. the problems that a lot of americans face are not quite the same as the ones taiwanese americans face, since the vast majority of us have degrees and we like to live in certain cities w/ high paying jobs. housing costs ofc are a problem but that’s pretty much a universal problem in any city with good jobs. personally i’d rather make 150k trying to buy a 1 mil house in california than make 1 mil NT and trying to buy a 25 mil NT house in taipei.

1 Like

American education system creates a bunch of poets and “artists” who may contribute culturally to the country (this is debatable because many Americans have a “follow the sheep” mentality) but does little for the economic/technological advancement of the country. The system doesn’t work and vocational classes that schools used to have were all cut in favor of herding people into overpriced universities.

Taiwanese Americans do quite well but this post isn’t talking about them. It’s talking about Taiwanese Americans who must return to Taiwan due to circumstances, and so couldn’t take advantage of opportunities America offers because they didn’t finish their education or just couldn’t be there for whatever reason. It’s awkward being here and I say those Taiwanese Americans have a lot to offer Taiwan but due to sub par Chinese level are not being noticed. Unless you’re a son of a CEO you’re competing along with other Taiwanese who are just as good as you are, if not better, except they write Chinese perfectly.

1 Like