Looking to get citizenship (have taiwanese parents)

Both my parents have dual US and Taiwan citizenship. I am male and a US citizen and I turned 35 recently. I can finally apply without worrying about the military conscription rule.

That being said, I have a family in the US and can’t really stay in Taiwan other than to visit from time to time. Does this mean citizenship is out of my reach until that change?

You might already be (or could easily become) a national without household registration, but if you want to become a full national you will need to stay in Taiwan for a set period of time. The fastest way is to stay in Taiwan for one year without leaving. My recommendation would be to register as a national without household registration (at a Taipei representative office) and then you can come to Taiwan in the future to fulfil the residency requirement and become a full national if you have time. You didn’t need to wait till now, as nationals without household registration are exempt from the draft.

To register as a national without household registration through your parents, you will need at least:

• Your birth certificate
  • Proof of your parent’s ROC citizenship (either parent is fine since you were born after 1980)

As long both your parents haven’t passed away, it should be a relatively painless process. Good luck!