Looking to Rent a Cheap Rural/Mountain Retreat

Hey all,

I have been thinking about renting a small, cheap place somewhere out in the mountains or countryside not too far away from Taipei. I have been checking 591, but I’m not really coming up with something I want.

I have heard that you can get a cheap place out in the countryside for 5,000 NT or less per month. I don’t want anything fancy, and even a little run down would be okay. Ideally somewhere within short walking distance to hiking trails or river swimming spots would be the best.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know how to find such a place, or where to go to find one, or who to contact? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

There are some place here… in Nantou…

Well, that’s annoying. I gave a very legitimate suggestion that was deleted by mods.

In summary: Find a bunch people who you get along with, and together rent or buy a house (one of those old-fashioned 2- or 3-storey ones) by the beach in some quiet town, and just head over there whenever you want to get out of the city.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]Well, that’s annoying. I gave a very legitimate suggestion that was deleted by mods.

In summary: Find a bunch people who you get along with, and together rent or buy a house (one of those old-fashioned 2- or 3-storey ones) by the beach in some quiet town, and just head over there whenever you want to get out of the city.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion. But do you know which websites to check or real estate agents to contact to find such a place?

Can’t help you there, sorry. I’m not exactly in the salary range to be renting or buying a country retreat, but maybe you could search on 591 for 整棟 places in Yilan or other coastal areas.

Thanks. I have been checking 591 a little more thourougly after I figured out how to navigate the Chinese better. Found some good stuff. Notably a 24 ping place for 4K that looks great…in the pictures.

what’s the URL for this 591 site? And any tips on how you’re navigating it?

I just got kicked out from a place like the one you describe. ; (

Why?

Landlord’s son got married. Needs the place.

591.com.tw/

You could always try Google Translate if you can’t read enough Hanzi to find your way around it.

591.com.tw

What I do is use Google chrome to translate the page. I have two open, one translated and one in Chinese.

I know how to navigate this site now because I just know where to click, and I can read a few characters and make inferences. My Chinese is terrible, and I don’t know much at all, but I think just about anyone can do it.

For example, if you want to find something in New Taipei City, look up a map of New Taipei City that has all the townships on it. Then look up the Chinese character for that town. Keep that page up so you can check back to make sure the characters match up later.

After you have navigated through to New Taipei City using the translated page and then following where you need to click on the original Chinese page, then select the township you want, and then the options on the side will have the price range and you can select that and the listing will show up. Once you are on that page (in the original Chinese), then you can select to have it translated and you will be able to understand the majority of the content on the page. Google chrome isn’t 100% perfect at translation, but it’s pretty damn good and a long, long way from the old days of Babel fish.

I suggest using two pages, one translated and one in the original Chinese, because the translated one isn’t always usable. It’s a bit hard to describe, but what happens is that when it’s translated, the English spelling is usually a lot longer and takes up more space than the Chinese characters. This sometimes makes it overlap on to links on the page, and you can’t always click those links on the translated page, or you end up clicking on something you didn’t want.

Sometimes the translated page is totally usable and you can just do the whole thing in English.

The same principles can be applied when looking for an apartment in any other place, or district in a city like Taipei, for example.

Install this in Chrome.

chrome.google.com/webstore/deta … obmjgjcoja

When you double click on a Chinese word, it gives you a translation in a little window. Works most of the time but not always. It’s a great way to learn words you don’t know.