Looking to return to teaching in Taiwan (but no ARC)

Hi all,

Could anyone provide assistance here? I worked at Shane in Taipei for four years and came back to England to take a shot at teaching adults here. But getting a job here seems almost impossible due to the economy and it being out of season.

So I’m interested in returning to Taiwan but of course I now do not possess an ARC :frowning:

Does anyone know of reputable institutions (teaching adults) that provide ARC assistance? Any help MUCH appreciated.

Thanks.

Any reason why you don’t go back to Shane? That would seem the obvious choice.

[quote=“Shazam!”]

Does anyone know of reputable institutions (teaching adults) that provide ARC assistance? Any help MUCH appreciated.

Thanks.[/quote]

Sorry, ignore my last post.

Finding jobs teaching adults that provide enough hours to get an ARC is tricky, particularly so if you are out of the country. My advice would be to come back teaching mainly kids and then look for adult gigs. Get some experience teaching exams and build up from there. Two extra buxibans on the one that sponsors your ARC (Trinity, GVO, IDP, BC etc). Gradually minimise the hours you teach kids. It’s a shame you didn’t stay here 5 years and get your APRC - then it would all be gravy.

EDIT: don’t discount getting an APRC. You may still be able to depending on how long you’ve been out of the country. I’m not an expert about this so ask the question in the legal section. I think that if you’ve only been back in the UK for less than 6 months in a calendar year you could come back here, work until you hit 5 years, and apply for one. Just off the top of my head, though.

No, he can absolutely definitely not get an APRC under the current regulations. The current interpretation of the 5-years rule is that there must be no breaks in the period of validity of the ARC for 5 years. The fact that OP doesn’t currently have an ARC means that his clock will reset to “zero” if/when he gets a new ARC.

As for advice to the OP, just come back and look for jobs here… you’re not going to have much luck from overseas, that’s usually the way things work. There are numerous schools that do adults, so you’ll just have to look around and find one.

[quote=“greves”]No, he can absolutely definitely not get an APRC under the current regulations. The current interpretation of the 5-years rule is that there must be no breaks in the period of validity of the ARC for 5 years. The fact that OP doesn’t currently have an ARC means that his clock will reset to “zero” if/when he gets a new ARC.
[/quote]

Ah! I think I understand. I was on a JFRV when I left the country to study before my 5 years - for just under 6 months in each of two years. Therefore there was no break in my period of validity and I was OK because my JFRV continued in absentia. His previous company cancelled his standard ARC as soon as he quit so he’s buggered.

Classic example of applying personal experience to another situation in Taiwan. Apologies, OP!