Loose Dog:

I was supposed to watch a dog for some friends this weekend. They left early this morning, and I went to pick up the dog at 11AM. A neighbor let me in. He said tha dog got away from him this morning, and he had to track it down in the basement. The dog bit him as he put the leash on.

I never met the dog before today. She growled at me, but settled down enough to get in the car and drive over to my place.

Problem. She freaked out when I wanted to get her into the house and slipped out of the collar.

I’m screwed! The dog doesn’t know me and runs whenever I getclose. I’m in a gated community so she can’t run away unless someone opens the garage door.

HOW THE HELL DO I GET THIS DOG BACK???

REALLY IN TROUBLE HERE!

Meat or cheese. Bribe it. Very, very small pieces. Toss them, get its attention. You got a garage or other enclosed space? Bigger piece inside, far from the door. Get it in, lock it down.

Ditto, food & drink, call your friend (if possible) to ask what’s her favorite. She’s probably completely stressed out being handled by all these people she doesn’t know. Talk to her like a crazy person talks to a baby: high voice, friendly, big smile, encouraging … Try to isolate her into a space/room or so, trying to get a leash or collar on wan’t exactly build up trust at this moment … good luck! Where are you? Xpet.

EDIT: sorry, just noted the time of your post - did you get her eventually?

[quote=“Xpet”]Ditto, food & drink, call your friend (if possible) to ask what’s her favorite. She’s probably completely stressed out being handled by all these people she doesn’t know. Talk to her like a crazy person talks to a baby: high voice, friendly, big smile, encouraging … Try to isolate her into a space/room or so, trying to get a leash or collar on wan’t exactly build up trust at this moment … good luck! Where are you? Xpet.

EDIT: sorry, just noted the time of your post - did you get her eventually?[/quote]

No. We spent 6 hours trying to get her into the house, and nothing worked. All my neighbors got pissed off and the security guy opened the gate…she split.

So now we’re going out to try to track her down… :frowning:

Still going out to track the dog down. Stray Dog suggested that I find the local dog catchers phone number and the kennel.

I haven’t a CLUE as to how to go about this. Does anyone know the dog cather’s number for YingGe? Or maybe Sanxia? Do they use the same kennel?

Thanks. If you know ANYTHING that can help me out, I’d be suprememly grateful.

jds

usually when Sambuka ran from me I just threw a huge blanket over her and she would be too busy fighting with it to notice that I caught her!

That’s actually a good idea - they also calm down when the lights go out, as it were. In Nepal, the local TNR team use sacks to catch all manner of strays, and it works a treat, as the animal immediately calms down. You’d need someone to distract the dog while you got close enough to smother it, though.

Let me know if and when you need some help, jd.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]That’s actually a good idea - they also calm down when the lights go out, as it were. In Nepal, the local TNR team use sacks to catch all manner of strays, and it works a treat, as the animal immediately calms down. You’d need someone to distract the dog while you got close enough to smother it, though.

Let me know if and when you need some help, jd.[/quote]

I wished I had tried that yesterday…now the trouble will be tracking her down.

She was completely unapproachable yesterday, and snapped at my wife and my sisterinlaw when they did manage to get close. I think the blanket over the top would have set her totally off the deep end.

If I can find her Sean, I’ll call you straight away.

jds

I hope you do manage to track the dog down. If you want a dog to come to you, it is better to squat down. When standing, you look big and scary. For a very nervous dog, you could try squatting with your back to it, or sideways on. Dogs are more cofident to approach people from behind. Also, you and other people around should keep your voices down. Doing these things while offering tidbits might do the trick. If the dog has been a stray, you could try taking a plastic bag out of your pocket and rustling it. Stray dogs associate the sound of a rustling bag with gifts of food from kind people.

Long day:

At about 10 this AM my neighbor’s housekeeper started yelling, “The dog! The dog!” She had spotted her outside the gate and let her back in.

I was psyched. I went out as I knew she’d be hungry, but nothing had changed. Still skittish as hell, she ran from the food I had, and darted downstairs and out the garage door, which is open in the AM.

I called Stray Dog and told him that she was still around, and this guy I have met once, briefly, says, “OK, I come over and try to catch her.” :astonished:

He couldn’t make it in the early afternoon, and I had to go to my motherinlaws 60th birthday party, no way to get out of it. I went home to change and saw the dog in front of a small temple near our front gate. I call SD and tell I won’t be home but the dog is there, just come over tomorrow if you can and we’ll try then.

Stray Dog STILL comes over, despite my not being there and his not knowing where I lived. He tries for , what Sean? Two hours to get the dog, but in the end she scoots away.

I’m deeply stressed that the dog is still loose, but DAMN! Stray Dog, my hat is off to you! :notworthy:

Folks, this guy called me about every ten-twenty minutes with updates, and every time I said, “Dude, just go home. I appreciate it, but this is too much.” and he said "No, I like doing this." He walked around my neighborhood for two hours, explaining to my rural neighbors what he was doing, and was APOLOGETIC when he couldn’t get her.

Sean, go to Carnegies on Sept 13th and you won’t pay for a single beer while I’m there!

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you
Stray Dog
!

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

He is a sweetie.
Maybe you should get a cage and put some food inside? I saw a dog get hit by a car today. I tried to catch it too, followed it for a couple of blocks until I could see that she had no limps or scratches.

It’s so frustrating when you want to do something good for an animal and they think you are the enemy!

Ha! Thanks, jdsmith.

That’s hilarious, but very kind. I was just so disappointed that I couldn’t get her. Kind of cornered her at one point, behind a van, but I go left, she goes right; I go right, she goes left, and on it went for about 5 mins.

She stuck like glue to your block, and there is very little traffic, so fingers crossed she’ll still be there when her owners get back.

BTW, your neighbours were all drunk. :unamused:

Cheers!

Sean

You’re a good person, Stray Dog. I’m proud to know you.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Ha! Thanks, jdsmith.

That’s hilarious, but very kind.
She stuck like glue to your block, and there is very little traffic, so fingers crossed she’ll still be there when her owners get back.

BTW, your neighbours were all drunk. :unamused:

Cheers!

Sean[/quote]

Yes, they’re a lively but immobile bunch.

I went around the block with my son today and we couldn’t find her. Maybe too hot and under a bush getting cooled down.

Try again tonight.

As for the my post being hilarious to you. That doesn’t surprise me a bit. :notworthy:

I second that…
(although I’ve still not met you in person…)

Right back at ya plasmatron.

We’re very grateful for your constant support. :bravo: :notworthy:

Good luck on catching that dog. I got my first stray with a can of tuna. I put it on the ground and then kept moving it closer and closer to me till she came and sat on my lap. Maybe you can get a can of Tuna and tie a string around it. Then if the dog is near your house you can move it bit by bit until she come in the home and then shut the door really fast. I also think this should be a lesson to all us dog owners. Make sure you introduce you dog to their babysitter before you take off. You can’t just expect a dog to make friends with the stranger who shows up at your door. Or rather you should hope that your dog isn’t too friendly with a stranger who comes into your house without you there to okay it, doesn’t make for much of a good gaurd dog otherwise. I suspect my little black and white dog would run and the other one would slobber all over anyone who just showed up at my house.

VERY HAPPY ENDING!!

Last night the owners came back, and we went to my house, walked around the neighborhood. They spotted the dog and called her, but I guess she didn’t see them clearly and bolted.

We all walked around for a halfhour or so I saw her in front of the 7-11. As soon as she saw her owners she went right up to them and was wiggling and licking hands. I couldn’t believe it was the same dog. They couldn’t believe the dog I described was their dog.

I drove them all home, and badabing, she licked my hand.

ALL’s well that ends well.

Thanks for all the support guys.

peace

jds

Wow. So glad to hear it. I bet you were relieved. :slight_smile:

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

This nervous little lady is obviously very loving when not spooked. She’s now looking for a permanent, caring, understanding home, as her current ‘owners’ rescued her from the street with the intention of finding her a home.

If you can offer Jackie the kind of home she so needs and deserves, contact me today to arrange a visit. She really is adorable. Give this little lady a second chance.

Many thanks,

Sean