Loose socks

Blundstones. Essential in Taipei, however long your stay. I should have been a jingle writer.

My solution for socks, etc.: always go with grey, as they’re going to end up that color eventually anyway. To anyone who would point out that one of my socks is slightly darker or of a different weave than the other: You need to re-evaluate your priorities.

My dog sorts my socks.

I was suitably amazed that this discussion has made it to 2 pages, so here’s my utterly pointless contribution.

I bought an indeterminate number of grey adidas socks from someone on the pavement in Keelung when I arrived here a year ago. I now have a different indeterminate number of grey adidas socks, which are all growing holes in the toes and gradually migrating to the bin in the corner.

Thankfully I will be working in Keelung for the next few weeks, so I can sock up on footgarb for another year.

My father used to use the ‘Hartzell on Holiday’ method on a daily basis, and whenever anyone pointed out that he was wearing odd socks he would look down with a puzzled expression and say “Funny, I’ve got another pair just like this at home.” You had to be there.

Rather than waste energy (admit it) on discussions about sock management, shouldn’t we be trying to figure out what happens to the socks? Object impermanence is a massive global problem, and physicists have speculated that if it can be solved it may also provide the answer to other deep questions, such as where does belly button fluff come from.

Terry Pratchett postulated the existence of a small elephant-like creature that vacuumed socks out of laundry piles with its trunk. I think it may have been purple and furry, but don’t have the book to hand.

[quote=“tmwc”]I was suitably amazed that this discussion has made it to 2 pages. …

My father used to use the ‘Hartzell on Holiday’ method on a daily basis, and whenever anyone pointed out that he was wearing odd socks he would look down with a puzzled expression and say “Funny, I’ve got another pair just like this at home.” You had to be there.
[/quote]

That is a great comeback line!

You mean like “Funny, I’ve got another pair just like this at home. Do you want to come back to my place?”

I should try it sometime. Maybe wear odd socks in a bar one night as a conversation starter? I once met a guy who used to wear an unbelievably loud shirt with (he claimed) considerable success.