Lord of Formosa: a new historical novel about 17th century Taiwan

Lord of Formosa is an epic new historical novel about the intertwined histories of Ming loyalist warlord Koxinga and the Dutch East India Company’s colony in Taiwan. The author, Joyce Bergvelt, lived around Asia (including Taiwan) in her youth and wrote her dissertation on the climactic clash between Koxinga and the Dutch in 1661/62. The book combines great attention to historical detail with a gripping narrative and fleshed-out characters who bring the men and women of the seventeenth century vividly to life.

“Bergvelt’s vivid prose tells a taut story through the eyes of well-drawn characters based closely on real historical figures. A delightful book, and one that provides an excellent entrée into an important period of history.”
—Tonio Andrade, author of Lost Colony and The Gunpowder Age

“I read this comprehensive novel with total absorption. In fact, I became obsessed by it over several days. With its many twists and turns of plot, it really does make for outstanding reading.”
–Bradley Winterton in the Taipei Times

It’s available now from our website, with free delivery in Taiwan.

4 Likes

Neat! I’m gonna get me one copy for sure.
I read the title"Lord of Forumosa" though. I thought @tempogain and @GooseEgg pulled an Halliday and opened a contest about the ownership of this site.

2 Likes

That would be a pretty boring book.

Good to see this!

I just had a look at the Amazon Kindle edition. If I buy through Amazon and not your website, does Camphor Press lose out in any way?

(If I buy through Amazon, then I can automatically download the book to any device linked to my Amazon account, and it’ll sync across devices - I don’t think I can do that if I buy an e-book from Camphor’s website, but I may have that wrong.)

Thank you! We (and the author) do get a bigger cut if you buy from our website, but honestly we’re just delighted if you buy a copy from anywhere.

One thing to be aware of – if you’re based in Taiwan Amazon.com sometimes charges an extra $2 as a “Whispernet surcharge”, so you’ll pay $7.99 instead of $5.99. The economics of it are quite odd, but roughly it looks like this:

Buy from camphorpress.com (no matter where you are), you pay $5.99, we receive between $5.50 and $5.70.
Buy from amazon.com if you’re based in the US, you pay $5.99, we receive $4.14.
Buy from amazon.com if you’re based in Taiwan, you pay $7.99, we receive $2.10.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

If the contest were open to all Regulars plus Jesus, it would be far from boring! :popcorn:

1 Like